Live Scottish Cup on BBC

The place to recommend (or otherwise) football or football-related TV programmes, DVDs, Videos and Movies.

Also to let users know about upcoming programmes in your part of the world.

Live Scottish Cup on BBC

Postby Alan McCabe » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:07 pm

Quite the most astonishing, indeed biased, decision by the BBC to choose an all-3rd tier tie as their Scottish Cup 5th Round pick.
Why Rangers Mk II v Dunfermline was selected reeks of Glaswegian pro-Old Firm favouritism. Are they so intent on saving the tribute act from a second, potentially fatal, financial collapse that they're determined to prop up a rapidly emptying bank account with taxpayers' monies?
Ridiculous....but not surprising.
Alan McCabe

Re: Live Scottish Cup on BBC

Postby Scottish » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:24 pm

Normally I'd agree but with Sky having the two all-Premier ties, there isn't really much left by way of an attraction for the TV audience. I suppose it depends on how it works. Obviously Sky got first pick and plumped for Celtic v Aberdeen. No arguments there. If they also got second pick and took Dundee United v St Mirren then it didn't really leave much for the BBC to choose from. OTOH if the BBC had second pick and passed over the match at Tannadice in favour of the one at Ibrox then that was a decision based on pure OF favouritism. But no matter what, with three games televised from eight, Rangers was always going to be one. There's simply no case to argue that any of the other five ties "deserve" live coverage more.

As for helping them out financially, that's a double-edged sword as most clubs who have had televised cup ties in recent seasons know. Attendances for cup ties are significantly down compared to league equivalents and take a further substantial drop if televised live.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby the hibLOG » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:41 pm

scottish wrote:As for helping them out financially, that's a double-edged sword as most clubs who have had televised cup ties in recent seasons know. Attendances for cup ties are significantly down compared to league equivalents and take a further substantial drop if televised live.

Ach, but you know how it works, David. The stands at Ibrox will be officially full, even if they're not. I expect Dunfermline will he hoping they get their cut of the cash rather more promptly than last time.
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Scottish » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:50 pm

the hibLOG wrote:
scottish wrote:As for helping them out financially, that's a double-edged sword as most clubs who have had televised cup ties in recent seasons know. Attendances for cup ties are significantly down compared to league equivalents and take a further substantial drop if televised live.

Ach, but you know how it works, David. The stands at Ibrox will be officially full, even if they're not. I expect Dunfermline will he hoping they get their cut of the cash rather more promptly than last time.

Not in a cup tie where season tickets don't count. Discounting Celtic, Hibs' 3-0 win in 2006 was the last time there was a 40,000 crowd for an Ibrox Scottish Cup tie - and they've played twelve since then. Nor did any of the eight before that Hibs game produce a 40,000 gate either.

But yes, I don't think Dunfermline should stand for any 'the cheque's in the post' nonsense.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby HibeeJibee » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:01 pm

I think it's been stated previously that BBC get 2nd pick?
(Sky-BBC-Sky).

I certainly expected them to pick Rangers-Dunfermline, tbh.
HibeeJibee

Return to TV, DVD, Video & Film