REAL sportsmen

All non-fitba stuff in here please.

REAL sportsmen

Postby Gersman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:45 pm

Fifty one and counting
Gersman

Postby Gersman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:57 pm

By the way Davie Boy is that you in the 'Editor's Choice' story next to the article on the cricketers? If so you've been a bit of a naughty boy.

Nice burd though :lol:
Fifty one and counting
Gersman

Postby Scottish » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:57 pm

Let me see - stinking rich, ex-public school, close friends with Gary Lineker and David Cameron. How did you rumble me? Actually I went to school with a David Cameron but unless the Tory leader holds a season ticket for Celtic Park it's not the same one. Now that I think about it I also went to school with Paul McCartney, Ally McLeod, John Reid, Gordon Brown, Michael Holding, John Kennedy, Fiona Fullarton, Charlie Brown, Tam Cowan, Bobby Lennox, Steve Martin, Gordon Jackson, Tony Parsons, John Williams, Robert Bruce, Dick Turpin, Jim Goldie and Steve Nicol with only the last two being the 'real' ones.

Anyway, you know fine well that's just one of the legion of people with the same name. I've been plagued by them all my days, starting with a boy with the same name in the same ward in the children's hospital. I was in for tonsilitis. I won't say what he was in for but suffice to say I lived in dread of the doctors mixing the two of us up.

Amongst others with the same name are the Highland editor of the Herald, a former sports editor of the Sunday Mail, a BBC producer, the chief of the clan Ross, the guy who writes extensively on William Wallace, an American DJ and former Democratic congressional candidate, a fairly well-known actor, the late journalist and environmental writer and my father.

I've been mistaken for more than one of the above at various times but other than my father the only one I ever knew was the late David Ross who was the fromer foreign editor of the Daily Express and who wrote authoritatively on the environment, chiefly for The Guardian and the New Statesman. He lived not far from me in London and in typical fashion the Guardian used to send me his freelance cheques and he received mine.

Needless to say his always had bigger numbers on them.

To get back to your original point, yes, a fine gesture by the cricketers. But the most important thing of all is that they returned to India ready and willing to play the Test matches. That, I'm sure, will be appreciated by the people of India more than anything else right now.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Gersman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:00 am

scottish wrote: Actually I went to school with a David Cameron but unless the Tory leader holds a season ticket for Celtic Park it's not the same one.

Davie Cameron? THAT Davie Cameron? He used to be a Killie fan
Fifty one and counting
Gersman

Return to Off Topic