The Darryl Broadfoot of Tennis

All non-fitba stuff in here please.

The Darryl Broadfoot of Tennis

Postby Scottish » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:39 am

Darryl's Herald colleague Hugh MacDonald proves himself to be as historically challenged at tennis as Darryl is at fitba. Not once, but twice in today's paper he avers that Roger Taylor played and lost in two Wimbledon semi-finals. To be fair he's not alone. I've read similar in a lot of the sports pages since Andy Murray won his quarter-final Men's Singles match on Wednesday.

Roger Taylor actually played and lost in three semis - 1967, 1970 & 1973. True, the first of those was in the last all-amateur competition but it was a Wimbledon semi-final nonetheless. In fact the 1973 competition was virtually amateur as well as 82 male professionals boycotted the event that year.

Taylor though recorded what remains undoubtedly the best result by any British tennis player since Fred Perry when he knocked out Rod Laver in the last sixteen in 1970. That ended a run of 31 successive victories for Laver which saw him win four titles (though over nine years due to not being allowed to compete as a professional for five years).

Taylor's win prevented Laver from appearing in a seventh successive final.

Of course if Murray is still undefeated in this year's competition come Sunday tea-time it would eclipse Taylor's 1970 feat by far.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Scottish » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Following Murray's defeat another Herald journalist, Stewart Fisher, gets it wrong. In Saturday's paper Fisher writes: "On 10 occasions now British players have been one win from emulating Bunny Austin's 1938 achievement of making it to the final and on 10 occasions they have fallen short."

Mike Sangster (1961), Roger Taylor (1967, 1970, 1973), Tim Henman (1998, 1999, 2001, 2002) and now Andy Murray in 2009. No matter how many times I add those up the answer always comes out as nine. Maybe they should get Darryl to cover the tennis? He surely couldn't be more inaccurate than McDonald and Fisher.

I'll close with some stats for Leatherstocking who, it is safe to say, is not a paid-up member of the Andy Murray fan club.

Murray has now played in four Grand Slam quarter-finals in the past twelve months. Since the abolition of Challenge Round finals and the introduction of seeding in the 1920s only six British players have appeared in more - the already mentioned Sangster, Taylor & Henman, the pre-war pair of Perry and Austin and the serial quarter-final loser Bobby Wilson.

This was his second Grand Slam semi-final, putting him behind just the same players minus Wilson.

And of course he played in last year's US Open final, making him one of just six British players to have done so in the past eighty years, behind Perry & Austin and level with Greg Rusedski, John Lloyd and the almost-forgotten Dr Colin Gregory who won the Australian title in 1929.

Not bad for a 22-year-old. So it looks like Leatherstocking will be forced to endure more Murray for some time yet.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Scottish » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:55 am

And while on the subject of glaring errors, The Scotsman, making comparisons between Murray and past Scottish sporting heroes managed to claim that Kenny Dalglish played in two World Cup Finals tournaments. Now I know a lot of people want to forget Argentina 1978 but Dalglish definitely played in three - 1974, 1978, 1982.

Better still is this from Football 365. Apparently Rangers got their European campaign off to a good start with a 4-0 win over Linfield!
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:32 am

I`m NOT anti Murray, I just don`t think he`ll ever win a Grand Slam Final. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Wake me up before you go go.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:34 am

Murray`s bound to win the Sportsview Personality of the Year ousting Steve Interesting Davis as the most effervescent holder of the crown.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:36 am

I yearn for the days when bubbly, chirpy Princess Horsey of Windsor (don`t you just love `em? God bless you ma`am) held sway.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Scottish » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:37 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:I yearn for the days when bubbly, chirpy Princess Horsey of Windsor (don`t you just love `em? God bless you ma`am) held sway.

Her daughter won three years ago. Personally, I think it is a sign of a dreadful sporting year when this award is won by either a minor royal or an ice skater.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Scottish » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:53 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Murray`s bound to win the Sportsview Personality of the Year ousting Steve Interesting Davis as the most effervescent holder of the crown.

I don't think Murray's such a cert. A lot depends on the Ashes series. A home victory and a cricketer will almost certainly win. Then there's that advertising spectacle and pretendy sport in which whoever is driving the fastest car becomes world champion. Speaking of which both Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell are worthy challengers to the Romford redhead in the 'interesting' stakes. And both of them won the BBC award twice.

But my personal favourite is the 1975 winner, cricketer David Steele. Bespectacled and prematurely grey, he didn't make his test debut until well into his thirties and even then lasted just eight tests. Coming in at number three his style was so dull and defensive that he made Geoffrey Boycott look flamboyant. Unheralded before 1975 and unheard of since. Just the ticket for the Beeb award.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:08 pm

I liked David Mitchell`s comment recently on Mock the Week when he said he`d been for a couple of lessons at the David Llloyd Centre and was now Britain`s no.6. You`re right re Mogadon Murray not being a cert for SPof the Y if England do thump the colonials(here`s hoping) then Fred Lout Flintoff`ll probaby get it although I`d hope it would be Strauss. Thon wee lass who got knocked out early @ Harry Wimblers is also in the running because losing in the 1st or 2nd day there is a British tradition & she`s upholding it well.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:10 pm

Didn`t Princess Horsey`s daughter win it because she`s very "popular" & has nice legs?
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Skyline Drifter » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:15 pm

scottish wrote:
LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:I yearn for the days when bubbly, chirpy Princess Horsey of Windsor (don`t you just love `em? God bless you ma`am) held sway.

Her daughter won three years ago. Personally, I think it is a sign of a dreadful sporting year when this award is won by either a minor royal or an ice skater.

Not that I'm much of a fan of it personally but I don't especially see why a world class ice skater shouldn't win it?

Are you suggesting that Torvill and Dean doing so was an indication it was a bad year for sport?

Granted Zara Phillips selection was absolutely nonsense. If she wasn't a member of the Royal family she wouldn't even have been mentioned far less short listed and ultimately voted in.
Skyline Drifter

Postby Skyline Drifter » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:21 pm

scottish wrote:
LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Murray`s bound to win the Sportsview Personality of the Year ousting Steve Interesting Davis as the most effervescent holder of the crown.

I don't think Murray's such a cert. A lot depends on the Ashes series. A home victory and a cricketer will almost certainly win. Then there's that advertising spectacle and pretendy sport in which whoever is driving the fastest car becomes world champion. Speaking of which both Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell are worthy challengers to the Romford redhead in the 'interesting' stakes. And both of them won the BBC award twice.

I don't think there's any reason at all at this point to think Murray will win the SPotY is there? I presumed Leatherstocking was being sarcastic. :?:

Good as he is, a Wimbledon semi final and elevation to No 3 in the world isn't particularly likely to win it in itself unless everything else goes pear shaped for other sports.

If Jenson Button goes on to lift the F1 crown he'll be a strong candidate. As you say, an Ashes win (looking more likely right this second than it did a week ago) would throw up some candidates too. A win for Ross Fisher or Lee Westwood tomorrow night would probably clinch it for them too.

Indeed, Murray himself could become a far stronger candidate with a triumph at the US Open but an early round exit there would leave him less likely to win than he was a year ago in reality.
Skyline Drifter

Postby Scottish » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:20 am

Skyline Drifter wrote:Not that I'm much of a fan of it personally but I don't especially see why a world class ice skater shouldn't win it?

Are you suggesting that Torvill and Dean doing so was an indication it was a bad year for sport?

Granted Zara Phillips selection was absolutely nonsense. If she wasn't a member of the Royal family she wouldn't even have been mentioned far less short listed and ultimately voted in.

I was thinking of John Curry and Robin Cousins as well as T&D. I have difficulty in accepting as competitive sport anything which automatically requires judges to hold up cards to let me know who's winning.

I'm not saying they weren't good at what they did but it seems to me that the above winners benefited from achieving Olympic success in what was otherwise a nondescript sporting year. Certainly that was the case for Curry & T&D. Cousins' success was somehow deemed more worthy than those of Coe, Ovett, Thompson, Wells and Goodhew. Simply because his was at the winter games in Lake Placid while the others all won in Moscow which was - at government level anyway - officially boycotted by the UK.

I'd agree re Phillips but the surprising thing is that she won the popular vote, taking one-third of those cast and well ahead of runner-up Darren Clarke.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Scottish » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:36 am

Skyline Drifter wrote:. A win for Ross Fisher or Lee Westwood tomorrow night would probably clinch it for them too.

You'd think so but it often doesn't work that way. Golfers generally don't do well in this award. When Tony Jacklin became the first home Open winner for 18 years in 1969 the award went Ann Jones. She at least had won the Wimbledon Singles. But the next year Jacklin became the first British winner of the US Open for half a century but the award went to Henry Cooper for the second time. Cooper had fought just twice that year.

When Sandy Lyle ended the 16-year drought post-Jacklin it was another boxer - Barry McGuigan- who won the award. Nick Faldo did win this award in 1989 but not in any of his Open-winning years. Fatima Whitbread, Paul Gascoigne and Nigel Mansell being the winners on those occasions. Paul Lawrie also lost to a boxer - Lennox Lewis.

Skyline Drifter wrote:.Indeed, Murray himself could become a far stronger candidate with a triumph at the US Open but an early round exit there would leave him less likely to win than he was a year ago in reality.

Greg Rusedski won this award when he reached the US Final. Murray didn't. The main difference being that Rusedksi wasn't up against Chris Hoy.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Scottish » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:40 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Fred Lout Flintoff`ll probaby get it although I`d hope it would be Strauss.

He's already got one and no cricketer has won two. In fact only three other cricketers have won it - the above-mentioned Steele, Ian Botham and Jim Laker. Flintoff might not last the series.
Scottish
Site Admin

Next

Return to Off Topic