Bill McLaren RIP

All non-fitba stuff in here please.

Bill McLaren RIP

Postby kiwiscot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:23 am

Scotland has lost another Gigantic sporting icon today with the death of Rugby comentator Bill McLaren, his commentry and sporting fairness were the pinnacle of what the job should be about. The New Zealand press here is giving his passing full coverage and generous in praise. Hopefully his legacy will inspire some NZ rugby announcers to be more sporting to the opposition than what they are.
kiwiscot

Re: Bill McLaren RIP

Postby the hibLOG » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:45 am

kiwiscot wrote:Scotland has lost another Gigantic sporting icon today with the death of Rugby comentator Bill McLaren, his commentry and sporting fairness were the pinnacle of what the job should be about. The New Zealand press here is giving his passing full coverage and generous in praise. Hopefully his legacy will inspire some NZ rugby announcers to be more sporting to the opposition than what they are.

Yeh they're a bloody partisan lot here aren't they? Not fit to lace old Bill's boots, but then who was?

There is a great little compilaation of commentary clips on the BBC website, all the better because most of Bill's commentary dates from a time when rugby union was still a proper game, not a pumped up version of British Bulldog like it is now.
Fraser
the hibLOG

Re: Bill McLaren RIP

Postby Scottish » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:58 am

kiwiscot wrote:Scotland has lost another Gigantic sporting icon today with the death of Rugby comentator Bill McLaren, his commentry and sporting fairness were the pinnacle of what the job should be about.

Very sad news and an accurate assessment. There was never anything partisan about Bill McLaren's commentaries. It was always "The Scots" never "we" or "us."
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:35 pm

The only commenators who came close in the UK were Peter O`Sullivan & Henry Longhurst. We`ve NEVER had a TV football commentator fit to lace Bill McLaren`s boots. David Francey was undoubtedly the best Scottish mic man and Archie McPhearsome the absolute worst although he has plenty of contemporary competitors. I`d say Francey was the "Voice of Scottish Football". McPhearsome`s prematch research seemed to consist of a quick flick through old Rangers programmes. He made Mr.Young seem positively neutral. Last Saturday, the follically challenged one jokilly confirmed en passant that Celtic`s new Korean defender was no relation. Well, he wouldn`t be would he with a family name of Ki(unless Young thought it was Kai in which case he might be trying a familial relationship through Ibrox association). His given names are Sung Yeung. Tee hee, Mr.Young.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Scottish » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:30 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:The only commenators who came close in the UK were Peter O`Sullivan & Henry Longhurst.

I'd have John Arlott on that select list.
Scottish
Site Admin

Bill McLaren RIP

Postby kiwiscot » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:50 pm

Whilst not up there at the top of the tree with Bill Mclaren, I did enjoy Eddie Waring's commentry's.
kiwiscot

Postby Skyline Drifter » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:31 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:The only commenators who came close in the UK were Peter O`Sullivan & Henry Longhurst. We`ve NEVER had a TV football commentator fit to lace Bill McLaren`s boots. David Francey was undoubtedly the best Scottish mic man and Archie McPhearsome the absolute worst although he has plenty of contemporary competitors. I`d say Francey was the "Voice of Scottish Football".

Whilst not a 'commentator' as such, I'd bracket Bob Crampsey in there too.

No interest in horse racing at all so I couldn't really comment on O'Sullevan and I'm not old enough to have heard Henry Longhurst commentate. I'd consider Peter Alliss for that group too though.
Skyline Drifter

Bill McLaren RIP

Postby kiwiscot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:38 am

Bob Crampsie did in fact have a spell commentating on Scotsport in the late 60s. The worst commentater they had in the 60s was a guy called Dick Louden he always looked ill at ease in front of the camera when giving a run down on Second Division games and greyhound racing results etc. but one night he commentated a Rugby match from Old Anniesland which I think was a districts game and was totaly out of his depth and sunk without a trace. I also remember that post war prolific goalscorer Archie Aikman also doing a spell in the early 60s at Scotsport.
kiwiscot

Postby Scottish » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:21 am

IIRC Archie Aikman's beat was the old Second Division. As for Peter Alliss, I'd include the Peter Alliss of days gone by rather than the one who doesn't know when a tournament has been won or not and thinks that commentating on a golf tournament is a platform for reactionary politics or the occasion to put in a word for some old mates.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:24 pm

Yes, agreed, John Arlott WAS good. His books are exellent too. Bob Crampsey was the doyan of the written and spoken word on Scottish football & County cricket but didn`t hit the high spots as a commentator - too cerebral for the rough & tumble of a commentary. Why wouldn`t the King & the Queen of the potatoes allow their daughter to marry Archie McPhearsome? Because he was only a common `tater. Look out for that one in next Christmas`s crackers.

Talking of books, I see J.D.Salinger has died. I`ve tried four times to read THE CATCHER IN THE RYE over the past thirty years & have given up every time. Is it me? He was a "one hit wonder" as was Nicholas Montsarrat - THE CRUEL SEA(very good[& an unmissable film]) & that was more or less that.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Scottish » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:54 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Talking of books, I see J.D.Salinger has died. I`ve tried four times to read THE CATCHER IN THE RYE over the past thirty years & have given up every time. Is it me? He was a "one hit wonder" as was Nicholas Montsarrat - THE CRUEL SEA(very good[& an unmissable film]) & that was more or less that.

Not just you. I've read it as many times as I've worn an Ayr United scarf. Though an influential critic (my wife) informs me it's a great book - provided you read it while still living with your parents.

I understand that the few other books he wrote were all commercial successes - just that no one remembers them now. A bit like Joseph Heller. I wish a few others were 'one-hit wonders.' Dan Brown comes to mind. In fact I wish he was a no-hit wonder because then the time I wasted on 'The Da Vinci Code' could have been spent reading something worthwhile.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 am

I`ve never opened a Dan Brown book at all. I believe plagiarism is copying from one source while "reasearch" is coying from at least two.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Scottish » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:50 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:I`ve never opened a Dan Brown book at all.

Then you are a wiser man than I am.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Snuff » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:39 pm

If I may be permitted to join the site's Richard & Judy Book Club: I read Catcher in the Rye many years ago - canot now remember any of it, other than, it was heavy going.

I have had about five attempts at reading Catch 22, but have as yet been unable to get past Chapter Two.

Of course, when it comes to unreadable writers of fiction, what about: Chick Young.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Skyline Drifter » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:17 am

I've never tried to read Catcher in the Rye, or anything by Dan Brown (though I have seen the Da Vinci Code movie if that counts?).

I have read Catch 22 though. Many years ago. I can't recall now even why I read it! It's not my usual reading genre. Found it terribly heavy going but made it through eventually. Can't say I enjoyed it. Typical high brow critically acclaimed book. Not actually very entertaining.
Skyline Drifter

Next

Return to Off Topic