Cricket Matches

All non-fitba stuff in here please.

Cricket Matches

Postby John Meffen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:59 am

I recently put up a post about Falkirk FC playing cricket against Falkirk CC. Does anybody know anything about two Scottish Football clubs playing each other at Cricket, especially if it was a regular thing. Falkirk only played cricket clubs afaik. FFC XIs still do in fact, they played a Stenhousemuir Social XI in 2001.
John Meffen

Postby Sat31March1928 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:56 am

I don't know about teams. Lawrie Reilly's first encounter with Jimmy Wardhaugh was at cricket playing for Boroughmuir vs Holyrood as a schoolboy.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson
Sat31March1928

Postby Alan McCabe » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:30 pm

I recently put up a post about Falkirk FC playing cricket against Falkirk CC. Does anybody know anything about two Scottish Football clubs playing each other at Cricket, especially if it was a regular thing. Falkirk only played cricket clubs afaik. FFC XIs still do in fact, they played a Stenhousemuir Social XI in 2001.

As regards the original Falkirk v ES cricket match mentioned on your blog, I was of the opinion that Crichton Park was nearer to Stewart Road than Bell's Meadow somewhere near to Bison Concrete's former grounds behind the western tenements.
Indeed, a road sign sits on this corner today with 'Crichton Park' listed yet none of the adjacent streets (Stewart Road, Atholl Place or Scotia Place) have any link to this name.
Alan McCabe

Postby John Meffen » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:08 am

Alan McCabe wrote:As regards the original Falkirk v ES cricket match mentioned on your blog, I was of the opinion that Crichton Park was nearer to Stewart Road than Bell's Meadow somewhere near to Bison Concrete's former grounds behind the western tenements.
Indeed, a road sign sits on this corner today with 'Crichton Park' listed yet none of the adjacent streets (Stewart Road, Atholl Place or Scotia Place) have any link to this name.

I am willing to be corrected, I based it on supposition.
From memory I remember reading a report of a Grahamston FC match which said that spectators were watching from the railway banking which overlooked the pitch, taking that with the fact that I have seen adverts for Grahamston matches which put Crichton Park "off Kerse Lane" we could both be correct, I'll go explore the sign today.

Thank's very much, but you should have commented on the blog as well as here!!
John Meffen

Postby John Meffen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:02 am

The corner you speak of was built on by 1898, the next previous map I have access to was 1861 when it wasn't so I'm a bit stuck.

There was a field there in 1861, but I just don't know, I'll keep digging.

Unless they played upon the "Lady's Mill" above. :roll:
John Meffen

Postby Alan McCabe » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:03 pm

I have Falkirk Amateurs playing at 'Lady's Mill Park' around the turn of the 20th century. They were senior for two seperate periods of their history (assuming it was one continuous club) and that would tie in with the location on your map from 1898.
Alan McCabe

Postby John Meffen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:38 am

I have first Falkirk Amateurs playing at "Tannery Park" which was next to the tannery at East Bridge Street, quite a bit away.

But then again I think they had quite a lot of grounds [and more than two incarnations], for a while they were somewhere in Summerford [near Camelon], and I seem to remember them sharing facilities with Castings Cricket Club, which would have probably put them on Dalderse Avenue for a time
John Meffen

Return to Off Topic