Cliché but.......

All non-fitba stuff in here please.

Re: Cliché but.......

Postby the hibLOG » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:07 am

John Meffen wrote:Please excuse my ignorance. but do the french not spend a lot more on municipal facilities which [whilst they might cost] are not so expensive to be exclusive

Yes, that's pretty much what I meant, though I realise I didn't make it explicit. I only assume they spend more on municipal facilities, mind you, I don't know it for a fact, but it would be no surprise.

It's interesting, to veer away from this off-topic topic back onto football, that in Italy for example you don't see big public parks full of kick-arounds with jumpers for goalposts and all that. What you do see are lots of little tennis-court-like fenced pens with small grassless pitches. Makes for games much better suited to close skill and short passing rather than Iraqi super gun hoofs up a full size muddy field. Maybe we're missing something, huh?
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby John Meffen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:39 am

Plus, having spent periods of time in Italy, when you get down the Leagues, almost every decent sized town has a football team playing in Serie C or below and they all seem to play on the same ground 'Stadio Municipale', either that or this Municipale bloke was very popular.

Joking aside, I happened to be in Bagni di Lucca, when Queen's Park played Fornolì in a pre-season friendly in about 2004, again at the Municipale
John Meffen

Postby John Meffen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:49 am

scottish wrote:Hmmm. Cricket never used to be considered particularly up-market.

I know it never used to be, but I am blessed with the patience to have read a lot of old newspapers etc. I often bore people by pointing at buildings and saying 'that is where XXX played cricket'. I know of several former cricket grounds in and around Falkirk. And Falkirk Amateurs in their all too short existence never had anything like an off season, they were always playing something, football, cricket, bowling, something.

But people who are younger/less interested, know not of Castings CC, or even that Falkirk FC played Stenhousemuir CC at cricket in 2001. see - http://www.scottishleague.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2837

I once read that Scotland had more cricket clubs than rugby clubs, now while I take that with a pinch of salt, it wouldn't surprise me if it was true either.
John Meffen

Postby Scottish » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:11 pm

John Meffen wrote:I once read that Scotland had more cricket clubs than rugby clubs, now while I take that with a pinch of salt, it wouldn't surprise me if it was true either.

I can easily believe it. Fewer players needed for a start. A season not in competition with football (well, not until the 1970s at any rate). Right now I am looking at a photo of the Dundonald Cricket XI of 1937, winners of the Kilmarnock District Cup. I can even recognise some of the players (not from 1937 I hasten to add but from they were quite a bit older) It doesn't say how many entries there were but I'd imagine a few and most villages of a similar size (at that time under 1,000) would have entered. Yet there has never been - AFAIK - a village rugby team. Anyone wanting to play or watch rugby had to travel to Kilmarnock, Troon or Irvine - all of them around five miles away.

The Scottish Referee used to mark the passing of the seasons with a cartoon footballers and cricketers handing over reach other.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby John Meffen » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:36 pm

Back on the tennis front, there was a suggestion during Wimbledon from John Inverdale [spit] that the reason that Chinese Men had not progressed as well as Chinese women, was because they might not be strong enough.

Ahem, a country of more than a Billion people might find one or two strong people, but maybe they don't want to play the west-centric game of Tennis, for the little we know, the biggest team sport in China is Basketball, and the Chinese national basketball team are not little striplings.

Sorry, just detest 'glib' racism, and occasionally go off on one

John Meffen

Postby the hibLOG » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:02 am

John Meffen wrote:Back on the tennis front, there was a suggestion during Wimbledon from John Inverdale [spit] that the reason that Chinese Men had not progressed as well as Chinese women, was because they might not be strong enough.

Aye, and that Bruce Lee was a weedy wee nyaff an'all.
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby John Meffen » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:00 pm

the hibLOG wrote:Aye, and that Bruce Lee was a weedy wee nyaff an'all.

I am *really* sorry about this, but I have that pedant thing in my head, Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco, his parents were from Hong Kong [Then not part of China]

I'll get my coat ...........
John Meffen

Postby the hibLOG » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:34 pm

John Meffen wrote:I am *really* sorry about this, but I have that pedant thing in my head, Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco, his parents were from Hong Kong [Then not part of China]

But since we're talking in the genetic terms that yon racist prick Inverdale was driveling...
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby John Meffen » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:43 pm

the hibLOG wrote:
John Meffen wrote:I am *really* sorry about this, but I have that pedant thing in my head, Bruce Lee was born in San Francisco, his parents were from Hong Kong [Then not part of China]

But since we're talking in the genetic terms that yon racist prick Inverdale was driveling...

*grins*
John Meffen

Postby Scottish » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:25 am

the hibLOG wrote:

Prick? Undoubtedly. Racist? On what evidence do you make that claim?
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby John Meffen » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:52 pm

scottish wrote:Prick? Racist? On what evidence do you make that claim?

I, personally, would say he was racist by the way he said Chinese Men were not strong enough for Tennis.

[I don't know, judging an entire people of half a billion in one glib sentence, [but I seem to be wrong on many things here]]
John Meffen

Postby John Meffen » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Inverdale has already had to apologise for his deplorable opinions [I think he should apologise for other things] I will try to search the BBC archive for that statement [until then I understand if you treat it as hearsay]
John Meffen

Postby John Meffen » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Nope, they only keep it online for seven days, and even then it was only a distilled version
John Meffen

Postby the hibLOG » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 pm

John Meffen wrote:
scottish wrote:Prick? Racist? On what evidence do you make that claim?

I, personally, would say he was racist by the way he said Chinese Men were not strong enough for Tennis.

That seems to me an entirely supportable conclusion.

The prick bit is subjective, right enough. On recent performance, however, he is establishing strong credentials.
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Scottish » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:02 am

If we used that interpretation there'd be a helluva lot of racists out there. Continental footballers are all divers etc. South Americans are cheats and can't play in British winters. Americans are fat. Germans are arrogant. Spanish are lazy (applicable to Southern Europeans in general) Irish are thick. Scots are mean. Scandinavian women are always up for it. Italians are bottom-pinchers. Aussies are descendants of convicts or screws. Welsh are sheep-shaggers. Etc, etc, etc. Commonplace comments which are all nonsense but if you branded everyone who ever said any of the above a racist there'd be millions in Britain alone. I heard a guy at Wembley in the England-Scotland game at Euro 96 giving Paul Ince pelters along the lines of 'Ince, ya black B....rd' I asked him to stop and he said okay and proceeded to shout 'Ince, ya English B....rd' much to the amusement and support of those around him.

You may be offended by some of these statements (I know I am) but if we call people making these kind of remarks racists what term do we use for the EDL, BNP, Combat 18, Siol nan Gaidheal, Settler Watch, Front National, Vlaams Belang, SDA, FPO, Jobbik, Golden Dawn etc?

During the 1980s, and particularly the miners strike, there was a tendency amongst many people to routinely label the UK government as Fascist. Denis Healey - who had spent five years fighting fascism - denounced this as lazy & incorrect on the grounds that if people thought this was fascism they would never recognise the real thing if it ever came along.
Scottish
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic