If the football team had played that badly

All non-fitba stuff in here please.

If the football team had played that badly

Postby Snuff » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:05 pm

What does the panel think - assuming they can be bothered - of the commotion which followed Saturday's tame capitulation to England in the Calcutta Cup match at Murrayfield?

I must admit, as someone who has always been able to switch seamlessy from football to rugby - this probably helped by the fact, in Ayrshire, junior football is often the rougher code - I have been wondering how such a dire Scotland performance would have played with the Tartan Army.

This was without doubt the worst Scotland rugby performance I have seen, and my recollections go back to 1958. Indeed, in lack of a cutting edge, passion or even a good individual performance, it was worse than the Iran game, the 0-0 draw with Luxembourg and even 4-6-0.

I have been speaking to fellow rugby enthusiasts about what should be done and the consensus is - Taxi for Johnson, while it would help, wouldn't be the answer; what is needed is a total clear-out of the dead wood at Murrayfield, in particular the blazers who landed us with Johnson, a sort of rugby equivalent of 'Professor' Harold Hill from the Music Man - or maybe a less funny Harry Hill from You've Been Framed!!

A loss to England I can take - we've had a lot of practice; but, this guff about throwing us out of the Six Nations - this means war.
Snuff
Snuff

Re: If the football team had played that badly

Postby Scottish » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:19 pm

i think it's an inevitable consequence of professionalism. It's maybe taken a couple of decades to develop but it was always just a matter of time. When the Welsh, who traditionally have a much larger base of players to call on, cannot stop their best from moving to France, what chance do the Scots have. The sole stronghold of Scottish rugby in the Borders now no longer has a club team worth the light and what fans there are elsewhere cannot relate to glued together teams like Glasgow & Edinburgh. I don't know about schools but I doubt if there are many today who could progress in the same way as the Broons fae Troon in the late 1960s when both Peter & Gordon moved from school to FP to club to international almost seamlessly.
Scottish
Site Admin

Re: If the football team had played that badly

Postby Scottish » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:08 pm

It's actually worse than you thought. http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/lat ... -1-3307219 Para 8, Line 2. Look at the teams we've lost to. That second one must have been particularly humiliating.
Scottish
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic