Open Golf

All non-fitba stuff in here please.

Open Golf

Postby Alan McCabe » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Interesting, and indeed sad, that SKY TV have secured exclusive live coverage of the oldest golf major in the world from 2017 onwards.
The BBC has mentioned little in bulletins about its latest loss to the Murdoch Corporation. A two-hour highlights package, similar to the somewhat pointless Ryder Cup format, has been secured but in this age of instant news few appear turned on by the idea of watching a competition that every man and his dug knows how it finished.
I thought the Open was on the protected list for free-to-view audiences. Have I missed something or is this protected group of major sporting events no longer valid in this era of broadcasting greed?
I'm no golfer, a 90 on Falkirk Carmuirs constituting my best and solitary round, but I'm disappointed by the R&A on this one. Progress perhaps?
Alan McCabe

Re: Open Golf

Postby bobby s » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:29 am

I thought it was on the restricted list too.
It's the Hope I can't stand
bobby s

Postby Alan McCabe » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:29 am

Found this :
It would appear that Group A events are the only protected ones now (?)

Sports events protected under Part IV
of the Broadcasting Act 1996

Group A (Full Live Coverage Protected)

The Olympic Games
The FIFA World Cup Finals Tournament
The European Football Championship Finals Tournament
The FA Cup Final
The Scottish FA Cup Final (in Scotland)
The Grand National
The Derby
The Wimbledon Tennis Finals
The Rugby League Challenge Cup Final
The Rugby World Cup Final

Group B (Secondary Coverage Protected)

Cricket Test Matches played in England
Non-Finals play in the Wimbledon Tournament
All Other Matches in the Rugby World Cup Finals Tournament
Six Nations Rugby Tournament Matches Involving Home Countries
The Commonwealth Games
The World Athletics Championship
The Cricket World Cup - the Final, Semi-finals and Matches Involving Home
Nations' Teams
The Ryder Cup
The Open Golf Championship
Alan McCabe

Postby bobby s » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks for that Alan, nice slide in restrictions.

Although, golf is for wonkers I'm told :twisted:
It's the Hope I can't stand
bobby s

Postby Scottish » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:40 pm

In terms of - ahem - "open" access, this is not good news. However, I have to say that Sky's golf coverage is superior to the BBC's, particularly in actual play and hole-by-hole graphics . There are only two things wrong with it. Constant adverts and Butch Harmon. The Beeb have stuck by Peter Alliss and his Majors having the odd snifter for far too long. Although I recognise Alliss still has many qualities, he has been unable to keep up with live scores for some time and it must be embarrassing for the Beeb to hear him opine that so and so needs a birdie here and there when a par will do just fine.

If Sky can bring Ken Brown on board, that would be a big advantage.

Obviously most people will have wanted The Open to remain with the BBC but it has never been on the protected list (regrettably). I have no doubt this has happened now as there are suggestions of it being added to the list following this year's General Election.

But the very idea of the list itself is controversial in that the state is telling sporting bodies which companies must broadcast certain events (in the UK that means only the BBC, ITV, and Channels 4 & 5 are able to bid for them) which would normally be under the sole jurisdiction of that sport. That must reduce the revenue available to the sport by its inability to put the event on the open market.

It's complex. On the one hand everybody wants great national sporting competitions to be freely available on terrestrial TV. On the other should government tell sports authorities what to do? My understanding is that there is EU provision for a restricted list in every member state and that varies from country to country. In Spain for instance only matches featuring the national team and the semis and finals are protected in the World Cup and European Championship. In the UK Ecuador v Honduras receives the same protection. I'd argue that in the former instance protection doesn't go far enough and in the latter way too far.

Some of the events on the protected list would be subject to legal challenge as even a trans-national body such as the EU can only legislate for sports whose authorities lie within their borders. Of the British protected list that would mean the Olympics, the World Cup, the European Championship and the RWC Final lie outwith the EU's control and in the Secondary list everything bar Wimbledon and, oddly enough, the Open.
Scottish
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic