Scotland V England Cricket

All non-fitba stuff in here please.

Scotland V England Cricket

Postby Rob R » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:16 am

Here today in Christchurch its the fourth anniversary of the devastating earthquake that killed 180 or so people and wrecked the city infrastructure, four years on and much of that infrastructure has still not been fixed ie sewers , roading and a housing shortage compounded by tradesmen arriving in the city from all over looking for work and accommodation . I manage the Christchurch branch of the engineering company I work for, and they are heavily involved in the Christchurch rebuild, a lot of my mates both Kiwi & Scots are all off tomorrow to give the Scots a rousing support, but I turned down a ticket for tomorrow, to work instead. Was I being unpatriotic.
Rob R

Re: Scotland V England Cricket

Postby Scottish » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:05 pm

If working's essential then no. If they could do without you for a day.............

This is an unusual one. Cricket is probably the only team game in the world in which I would (normally) describe myself as an England supporter, basically because if anyone from these islands (plus Granny rule players not good enough for their own countries), wants to play at the highest (i.e.Test) level then England is their only option and many Scots, Welsh and Irish have done so. Tomorrow is essentially a non-league v Premiership (albeit relegation-threatened) cup tie. As the old saying goes, this match couldn't have come at a better time. England have been woeful thus far, Scotland were poor against NZ until a late bowling display gave the final result a very respectable look. England may be fearful going into the game and the example of Ireland against the West Indies (and to a slightly lesser extent Afghanistan against Sri Lanka) should give Scotland encouragement.

I saw Matt Machan a few times last season and he is a very handy one-day player indeed. Another knock like the one against NZ and a less calamitous start from the openers then who knows what can happen.

In the greater scheme of things anyone who has wagered on any country bar the co-hosts or India might as well tear their betting slips up now.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Scottish » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:12 pm

After staying up to 6am to watch the match against Afghanistan, it's nice to know the national cricket team is every bit as capable as the football and rugby sides of putting the supporter through the emotional wringer and of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Still, just to be able to see the words 'Scotland' and 'World Cup' in the same sentence makes a refreshing change.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Rob R » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:59 pm

I've seen Scotland & World Cup mentioned in the same sentence quite a lot. Two examples, Scotland never qualified for this years World Cup, & Scotland are out of the World Cup
Rob R

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:52 pm

Let me see now, where have I seen Scotland snatch defeat from the jaws of victory before?
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Snuff » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:41 pm

Based on my many years of watching Scotland muck things up when expectations were greatest; I wasn't too-upset when we lost to Bangladesh overnight, having already lost to Afghanistan.

For those of us with long memories of past World Cups, both football and rugby, these losses were par for the course.

BUT - to lose to that England team FFS, how bad are we becoming?

To go even further off-topic on the off-topic thread: will Andy Murray be British or Scottish this weekend,when the Davis Cup tie is played in Glasgow?
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Scottish » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:54 am

I watched the Scotland innings v Bangladesh and thought we had a genuine chance, particularly given half their team looked like they should be on crutches or in plaster. So when I woke up, I reached for my phone, eagerly tapped the BBC app, scrolled hurriedly down to sport, saw the headline and went back to sleep.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Rob R » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:23 am

Well ,we're down to the (your ) last three David, award yourself a cyber pint. My forecast for what its worth, if India win their Semi, then they will go on and lift the cup. If Aussie win I think the kiwi's will beat them. Imagine Sunday morning in the NZ camp waking up and all you can think about is beating your biggest rivals next door in their own backyard , and this is your chance for glory (does that sound like us at Wembley ) and lets go for it, but somehow I don't think the same passion will be there against India. On the other hand , the Indians will have the same approach to winning no matter who they play, and if they do win, I wouldn't mind celebrating with some of their gentler fans, for what I've seen so far on TV, they are stunning.
Rob R

Postby Scottish » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:13 pm

And in a bout of mutual back-slapping I'll agree with yours - both on the winners and the Indian fans. It'll be hard for New Zealand at the MCG - no doubt about that - but the Wembley comparison is a fair one. Nine times out of ten I'd expect the Aussies to win this one but nine times out of ten it isn't the World Cup Final.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby the hibLOG » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:13 pm

Nine times out of ten was too steep for the Black Caps. Lousy innings with the bat, well bowled and fielded by Australia, and after that it was 99 times out of a hundred...
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Rob R » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:51 pm

Yea it was more Wembley 75 than 67 , I got that wrong ,mind you David will be cyber drunk now with his predictions of the last 3 in the Cricket World Cup,combined with the first hat trick since Colin Stein and Scotland to win by 5.
Rob R

Postby Scottish » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:30 am

Rob R wrote: David will be cyber drunk now with his predictions of the last 3 in the Cricket World Cup,combined with the first hat trick since Colin Stein and Scotland to win by 5.

Having failed to make a bet on either, David will be eagerly scanning the form for the upcoming Grand National. I have only attended the race once - in 1984. I backed Hallo Dandy to win and put an each-way bet on 1983 runner-up Greasepaint. My (then) wife asked why I wasn't just putting on a straight forecast (I had explained how betting works on the journey to Liverpool). My retort was simple: "Have you any idea how hard it is to pick the winner of a 4.5 mile race, with thirty jumps and forty starters let alone forecast the finishing 1-2?"

History will tell you what happened. I had two winning bets but missed out on an 111-1 forecast.

A similar bout of "man knows best" happened at the Redcar Easter meeting ten years ago when my cousin and I attempted to dissuade my (now) wife from lumping onto the 33-1 rank outsider in the last race because she thought it had "nice eyes."

Fortunately our attempts to prevent her from placing her bet were unsuccessful.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Rob R » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:42 pm

Our local pub here in NZ runs a bus every year to the Kaikoura Trotting Cup about 120 miles up the coast from Christchurch, one year a woman on the bus backed a horse that finished fourth and she threw her ticket away in a heap of about 2 or 3 hundred other dicarded tickets out side the betting kiosk's ,when it was anounced there was a stewards inquiry, the third horse was disqualified and fourth promoted to third, she let out a shriek that she threw her ticket away, so helping her , about 7 or 8 of us sifted for about twenty minutes through the said discarded tickets until it was found. She won One Dollar and 50 cents . I should add that in NZ you do not get your stake back its included in the winning margin so really she won 50 cents.
Rob R

Postby Scottish » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:25 am

Which reminds me of my first visit to a racecourse which was Ayr in IIRC 1965 alongside my father and grandfather. My Dad gave me ten shillings (two weeks pocket money) with which he would place bets for me ( I know, a grown man encouraging his children to gamble). I promptly placed half of it on a horse called Cagirama which won. I lost the ticket. My Dad frantically searched on the floor and, luckily enough, found it. I was thirty bob to the good - a fortune for a nine-year-old. The following year the same horse won again and again I had the same stake and I think the same return. I was almost in tears when it came in nowhere the year after that.

The reason for attending the same meeting every year was that it was sponsored by Tennant's, my Dad was running a pub at the time, and he got three freebies every year. I was tremendously disappointed when he left to start work in the railway works at Barassie after that. However, this was more than compensated when I realised children of workers there received their own Privilege Ticket which was good to the value of 1/3 off all rail fares. Coupled with becoming a teenager this meant that matches at the exotic outposts of Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth and Edinburgh were now within my grasp.
Scottish
Site Admin

Return to Off Topic