2005 Champions' League Final

For English, European and World football topics.

2005 Champions' League Final

Postby Vasco » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:57 am

On another forum the 2005 Champions' League final of 2005 in Istanbul was mentioned. I remembered that we didn't get back into the centre of Istanbul until gone 1 a.m.

I checked the details and discovered that the local kick-off time was 21:45, so, with 90 minutes plus half-time, extra time and penalties, it was after midnight before the match finished. Is this the only time that such an important match wasn't decided until the next day? I am, of course, ignoring replays as happened in 1974.

Another thing that struck me was the number of different national flags. Closer examination revealed that 18 different nationalities played, with another two nationalities stripped, making a total of 20 different nationalities. Surely a record.
Vasco

Re: 2005 Champions' League Final

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Well, in 1961, Rangers were drawn against ASK Vorwarts Berlin of East Germany in the 1st Round of the European Cup & won 2-1 in Berlin but when the Germans were refused visas to travel to Scotland, the 2nd leg took place in Malmo. The dense fog that evening, 22nd November, forced abandonment at half time with Wee Willie Henderson`s goal being the only highlight. With the Germans` visas about to run out, the game was rerun the following morning with a 10 o`clock kick off and Rangers won 4-1.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:07 am

I know you`re just gagging to know what ASK stood for in Vorwarts` name - Armeesportklub (Army Sports Club) and the Vorwarts means "FORWARD". They were transferred to Frankfurt/Oder in 1971 and played as Vorwärts Frankfurt/Oder until the final days of the DDR. Now they are called Viktoria Frankfurt/Oder and currently play in the Brandenburg League (Div. V). So there.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby ScottishFA » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:48 am

Vasco wrote:On another forum the 2005 Champions' League final of 2005 in Istanbul was mentioned. I remembered that we didn't get back into the centre of Istanbul until gone 1 a.m.

I checked the details and discovered that the local kick-off time was 21:45, so, with 90 minutes plus half-time, extra time and penalties, it was after midnight before the match finished. Is this the only time that such an important match wasn't decided until the next day? I am, of course, ignoring replays as happened in 1974.

Another thing that struck me was the number of different national flags. Closer examination revealed that 18 different nationalities played, with another two nationalities stripped, making a total of 20 different nationalities. Surely a record.

The 2008 final in Moscow kicked off at 2245 local time, and when Nicolas Anelka missed the last penalty it was 1.34 am. The celebrations​ went on well into the night, I believe.
ScottishFA

Return to International