Great Britain Olympic Team against Greece

For English, European and World football topics.
jeroen

Great Britain Olympic Team against Greece

Post by jeroen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:35 am

on 25-7-1952 the Great Britain olympic team played a match against Greece in Finland.
It's a full A-International match for Greece!

On this site there's a line-up:
http://rsssf.com/tablesg/grk-intres48.html

But the spelling of the British players seems to be a bit erratic

Could Greyson be Derek Grierson ?
Roppe is George Robb I think

Does someone have the correct spelling of the player's names?

Thanks in advance

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:16 pm

This is the line-up on the RSSSF site
Charlton, Brown, Stewart, Hastrie, Wilsson, Raulling, Powelson, Nobile, Slater, Greyson, Roppe.

I make the line-up to be:
BR Brown (Pegasus)
S Charlton (Bromley)
T Stewart (Queen's Park)
W Hastie (Queen's Park)
Wilson ???
I Robling (Lovell's Athletic)
HA Pawson (Pegasus)
AW Noble (Leytonstone)
WJ Slater (Brentford)
D Grierson (Queen's Park)
G Robb (Finchley)

I can't place Wilson. It was fairly common practice for some countries to consider such matches as full internationals - see the Danish amateur side v Scotland amateurs in the 1930s for instance. In this case though the GB selection wasn't even the strongest amateur side available. Only four of those players had taken part in the Olympic tournament - and they had lost to Luxemburg!

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:07 pm

This was a strange match, and I hadn't seen it in any other records. Both countries had been knocked out of the Olympics and I guess they arranged a friendly to keep themselves busy before their journey home from Finland.

Like Dave I am mystified about the player Wilson - no-one of this name appeared for any of the home countries in the British amateur international championship around that time. So it could be a mistaken spelling, perhaps JA Walton of Man Utd and England, but that is really a guess.

The best report I can find of the debacle against Luxembourg is in the Caxton four volume set of 1960. GB drew 1-1 after 90 minutes and then lost three goals in four minutes in extra time, eventually losing 5-3.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:22 pm

ScottishFA wrote:This was a strange match, and I hadn't seen it in any other records. Both countries had been knocked out of the Olympics and I guess they arranged a friendly to keep themselves busy before their journey home from Finland.
I assumed the same but checked the dates and the friendly was played some nine and ten days respectively after the teams had been eliminated. It strikes me as surprising that beaten teams would hang around that long. Also, only five of the team v Greece played v Luxembourg. Would there really have been a squad of 17 sent to the 1952 Olympics? This was an era when Scotland thought it appropriate to send just 13 players to the 1954 World Cup finals.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks for your answers

Over the weekend I have found this: In fact 20 players went to Finland

The 9 who didn't play against Luxemburg are:

B. Brown
S. Charlton
K. Yenson (the only uncapped player, Leyton and probably "wilson" He played only one game for England amateurs against ....Holland, a full international game for the netherlands)
W. Hastie
I Robling
K. McGarry (Cliftonville)
W. Holmes
D. Grierson
H. Pawson

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:10 pm

jeroen wrote: In fact 20 players went to Finland
So the amateurs were more "professional" than the SFA? Why does this not surprise me?