A tale of two K/Chrises

For English, European and World football topics.
lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:27 am

Insertnamehere wrote: I am not for a second defending them as they were out of order but...... letting them have a drink at 5am in the first place and also saying you plan to change your shape and dropping hints you might change your keeper, it seems like fate handed Burley a perfect oppertunity to do both and at the same time cover his own back :shock:
I've tried to avoid this kind of thinking as I don't believe George Burley is clever enough to be that devious. However, certain journalists were already complaining on Sunday, before the drinking session became public, that Craig Gordon should be in the team for the Iceland match. I have to wonder if this was also in Burley's thinking at that stage.

From the sequence of events where Ferguson and McGregor were supposedly initially kicked out of the squad to the situation where they ended up on the bench last night, it looks utterly chaotic. The news today that five other players were involved and made representations to the Scotland management and, well, you really have to wonder what's going on in the Scotland camp.

This is by no means a defence of Ferguson and McGregor. Ferguson, in particular, has been a law unto himself for a long time now.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:32 am

No im not saying he was wrong with wanting to change a thing im just saying it looks like he was given the perfect oppertuninty to do so.

As for McGregor, good keeper I would say but I would always pick Gordon ahead of him.

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:46 am

Insertnamehere wrote: As for McGregor, good keeper I would say but I would always pick Gordon ahead of him.
Funnily enough, I think McGregor would saved Iceland's goal. I don't think he would have moved for the initial shot so would have been better placed for the rebound. It's something Goram was also good at - judging when to leave the ball. Klos, like Gordon, was more agile so tended to go for most shots and was then exposed at the rebound. Kinda interesting.

Gordon did well at the Iceland attack in the final minute. Burley seems to prefer him but he has basically ripped up his own policy on team selection by choosing him.

I thought Fletcher, Morrison and McCormack all played well. Never too keen on Fletcher but he seemed to control midfield last night. Good range of passing.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:56 am

I cant comment on the overall performance as I only say the highlights, the double save at the end was fantastic though, Hutton looked good from the clips I saw.

I think I must be getting old seeing as I went to my local football ground last night to see a play, performance? Im not sure how to describe it but it was fun! Well the funniest part was seeing the groundsman crouched head in hands whittering away about "his beautiful pitch" hahaha

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:01 pm

This appeared in the comments section of The Scotsman. As it appeared on the Internet, I can only conclude it must be the absolute truth -

3.00 am - Scotland arrive back at Glasgow Airport.

4.00 am - At Cameron House Hotel, Burley permits the team to have a drink and he'll see them for brunch at 11.00 am. Tells them all to make sure they get some rest.

Ferguson and McGregor and four others stay up all night drinking with independent guests - though one of them worked for the media and was in fact a plant. Ferguson has two beers and a couple of glasses of wine. McGregor similar.

9.00 am - The other four go to their rooms, rest for a few hours, shower and change and return to the bar/restaurant area for Breakfast/Lunch at around 11.30am.

12.00 noon - The rest of the squad start arriving for brunch.

12.45 - Burley arrives and has a chat with the players and has some brunch.

No reported issues were raised.

8pm on Monday - A renowned heavyweight journalist has been told that Scotland players including Ferguson and McGregor have been up drinking all night.

10.00pm The journalist contacts Burley and tells him the papers will be running this story tomorrow (Wednesday)

Burley gathers the troops to find out who was up all night drinking. No one comes forward. Then Burley accuses Ferguson and Mcgregor - the two names the journo mentioned. Both admit it but have a go at Burley
for singling them out.

Burley demands an apology, both refuse. Burley sends both home.

Next morning - the other four players come forward to say they too stayed up all night.

Later that morning Burley gets a call from Ferguson and McGregor saying they are sorry.

Burley asks them to return to the Hotel.

Both return, Burley tells them he's accepted the apology but they will both be dropped from the team - Ferguson tells Burley he'd rather not be in the squad. Burley insists.

Burley informs Smith of the situation. Smith says "let's get the game out of the way and then we'll talk about it"

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:39 pm

Its just gets worse and worse, I read today that Gordon Smiths not come out anc backed Burley...............

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:08 am

Smith will, and has to, back Burley. Smith is smart enough to know that some journalists see attacking Burley as a way of getting at him. If they get Burley, they'll come after him next.

Things are not helped, though, by more revelations that more than Ferguson and McGregor were involved. From The Herald -

'If Burley takes swift, decisive action, he will leave himself open to accusations of hypocrisy, as five others players - Scott Brown, Alan Hutton, Steven Whittaker, Steven Fletcher and Gary Teale - were involved in the drinking session, some leaving only minutes before Steven Pressley was summoned by hotel staff to intervene.'

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:31 am

Get rid of all seven; none is irreplaceable. Billy Stark is nurturing a very good U21 squad. Promoting a few wouldn`t harm our World Cup chances one iota.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:51 am

Rangers send Scotland pair home

Ferguson and McGregor were on the bench for the match with Iceland
Captain Barry Ferguson and goalkeeper Allan McGregor have been sent home from training by Rangers after their breach of discipline while with Scotland.

Seems Ferguson has been stripped of the Rangers captancy and both players have been put up for sale. Another peice of good timing me thinks!

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:00 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Get rid of all seven; none is irreplaceable. Billy Stark is nurturing a very good U21 squad. Promoting a few wouldn`t harm our World Cup chances one iota.
Nobody's irreplaceable in fact as there's always someone else to play.

However, the other players aren't currently in the team for a reason, ie they aren't as good.

We have no-one who can remotely replace Allan Hutton in terms of ability. Scott Brown too is an automatic pick. The others we could probably stand to lose and not miss much of a beat.

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:12 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Get rid of all seven; none is irreplaceable. Billy Stark is nurturing a very good U21 squad. Promoting a few wouldn`t harm our World Cup chances one iota.
I expect some will find themselves disappearing off the international scene - Whittaker, for example - but, as Skyline says, there is no chance Hutton and Brown will be dropped from future squads.

I think the SFA will have been taken off-guard by Rangers' decision today to suspend Ferguson and McGregor and, as expected later, transfer list them. They clearly thought the matter was closed. It might force them to i) make a decision on Ferguson and McGregor's international futures (i.e. confirm that they have none) and ii) make an announcement about possible sanction against the other players involved in the drinking session.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:13 pm

Completely contrasting reaction from the two Smiths.

Gordon who has yet again shown himself completely out of his depth for the position he holds. Has there ever been a less suitable competent man in the post?

Walter who has taken the action that Gordon should have done.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Sat31March1928 wrote:Has there ever been a less suitable competent man in the post?
Er, all his predecessors?
Sat31March1928 wrote:Walter who has taken the action that Gordon should have done.
I don't know if I expected Gordon Smith to intervene before the Iceland match. It was Burley's decision then. He appears to have acted decisively initially and then backed down when confronted with a delegation. Never a good sign.

I have to say, though, I would have expected Smith/SFA to have made some announcement about both players international futures on Thursday and certainly by today. I wonder if they thought that banning them altogether would have been too heavy-handed and they weren't anticipating Rangers' reaction today. Sounds like something that could have been clarified with a simple phone call, though.

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:07 pm

A colleague has just reminded me of James McFadden's drunken behaviour on an international trip in 2002 which resulted in him missing the flight home. We don't think he received any censure from the SFA for this.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:47 pm

I seem to remember that Herr Vogts rather than censure him christaned him "Cheeky Boy"