Hull City name change proposal

For English, European and World football topics.
bluedragon

Hull City name change proposal

Post by bluedragon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:08 am

I have been trying - without success - to find the grounds on which the Football Association's Membership Committee recommended to the FA Council to reject the application by Hull City FC to change the club's name to Hull Tigers FC.

I understand it is an emotive issue with the club's supporters and they have made a powerful and successful case for the status quo. However, my interest is in the process not the proposed name change. I am probably missing something here but I am struggling to understand the FA's decision-making powers. I would have thought that the FA would have a role to ensure that the new name could not be confused with another club, it was not offensive or inappropriate, the club Is not in the habit of changing its name every other season, etc. But other than that it would be a matter for the club and perhaps to show that they had consulted their supporter base. To me the proposed name change passes the "reasonableness test" and unless the FA Council has powers to perhaps to insist on a proper consultation process with supporters then I can only think that they have made a subjective decision.

As I say my interest is in the process alone and I probably do not have the full facts. But to me a proper transparent consultation process between club owners and supporters and letting the decision emerge from that would be better than the process I have read about in the press.

Alan McCabe

Re: Hull City name change proposal

Post by Alan McCabe » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:10 am

I can only think of two occasions when the SFL or SFA have become embroiled in anything similar.

The obvious one was Ferranti Thistle's election to the SFL in 1974 when league rules, as they still do, prohibit commercial titles for competing clubs. Whilst Thistle, like Babcock & Wilcox, were allowed to play in the Scottish FA Cup with their works titles, the SFL insisted on a name change for league participation. The new club took so long to decide upon their new title that their Scottish FA Cup exemption was withdrawn amid fears that they possibly would not come to a decision within the proscribed timescale leaving them to compete in the Qualifying Cup even though they were a league club.

Much earlier, Arbroath's brief flirtation with two senior clubs in the immediate post-WWI years saw Arbroath United's title refused by the SFA after a protest from the long-standing nearby cricket club of that name. Eventually the Arbroath Athletic name was adopted although the SFL were so concerned about the town's ability to operate two senior clubs simultaneously that the Athletic's application to join the fledgling Third Division was refused. Within three years, of course, the entire third tier had collapsed in disarray.

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:11 am

I would have thought a 'greater good of the game' argument would suffice. The FA, like all FA's, should take the long-term view and be an independent protector of their member clubs and their supporters against the capricious whims of 'here today, gone tomorrow' owners. In a modern free market, it's difficult to stop these loonballs buying the likes of Hull and Cardiff but you can try and limit the damage they might do to the club within the internal market of football. Stopping a ludicrous name change seems a perfectly legitimate intervention by the FA, in my view. The colour change at Cardiff was also a joke and I don't know if the FA had the power to block it. If they didn't, they should.

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:02 am

Alan McCabe wrote:I can only think of two occasions when the SFL or SFA have become embroiled in anything similar.
Before opting for Dundee United were Dundee Hibernian not refused an application to change their name to Dundee City as Dundee were unhappy the name was to similar to theirs? Early 1920's about the same time as the Arbroath one?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:08 am

Alan McCabe wrote: Whilst Thistle, like Babcock & Wilcox, were allowed to play in the Scottish FA Cup with their works titles, the SFL insisted on a name change for league participation. The new club took so long to decide upon their new title that their Scottish FA Cup exemption was withdrawn amid fears that they possibly would not come to a decision within the proscribed timescale leaving them to compete in the Qualifying Cup even though they were a league club.
I never knew that. I had always thought it was because there had been no change to the cup format at the SFA AGM so therefore they had to play in the Qualifying Cup (in which they were unsuccessful making it through - an aside, was this the last time a league club failed to appear in the Scottish Cup proper?). I don't have a Wee Red Book for that season but both Rothmans and Racing & Football Outlook have Ferranti Thistle in the fixture list.

WRT Hull, I have to confess I don't understand fans' attitude here. Yes, no one likes name changes. Supporters are very small c conservative in this respect. Just as they don't in general like changes to the laws, even when they improve the game (anyone want to go back to the old pass back rule?). But in this instance all they are being asked to do is change what they chant in the stands to the official name of the club. I really don't get it that people are happy to sing about the Tigers but don'y want to replace the ten a penny City for a distinctive name which has always been "theirs" anyway.

That said, I think the wholesale changes of names, as in Rugby League, is a different case. There, they changed names along the lines of US sporting names. Leeds Rhinos, Warrington Wolves, Doncaster Lakers, DONCASTER LAKERS FFS bear no relation to their history. Rochdale Hornets with a name dating back to the 19th century are, of course, the exception.

It's the same with twenty-twenty cricket. I suppose Nottinghamshire Outlaws & Leicestershire Foxes have a good excuse but Sussex Sharks? Are there sharks regularly to be found on the South Coast? I'm moving there shortly so I hope not. Some others are purely for alliterative purposes - Durham Dynamos, Somerset Sabres etc. Northamptonshire Steelbacks is, I suppose, a tribute to Corby but it still sounds straight out of gridiron. Only Surrey & Glamorgan have resisted the temptation to change names.

So, in sporting terms overall, Hull Tigers seems the most logical change of them all.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:18 am

Scottish wrote:
Sussex Sharks? Are there sharks regularly to be found on the South Coast? I'm moving there shortly so I hope not.

Come on David, don't tell me those huge basking sharks which regularly wash-up on Ayrshire beaches scared you!

I'm not sure, but, they might also, occasionally, wash up on Sussex beaches.

If you're moving anywhere near Brighton, I can put you in touch with one former Auchinleck Talbot and one former Lugar Boswell Thistle player who live there, which should stop you feeling home sick!!
Snuff

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:45 pm

We used to see them occasionally in Cornwall, but given the nature of the beaches, I would have thought that Sussex Shingle would have been more appropriate. Thanks for the info about the players. PM me. Cheers.