Most tasteless club name?

For English, European and World football topics.
Scottish
Site Admin

Most tasteless club name?

Post by Scottish » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:08 pm

It occurs to me that San José Earthquakes isn't exactly the best name for a team in a city so close to the San Andreas Fault. It's a bit like having European teams called Paris Guillotines, Moscow Trials or Dynamited Berlin. Closer to home I suppose it would be Clydebank Blitzers or Coventry Cathedrals. Even perhaps Glasgow Kissers. At any rate I can't think of a worse name than that of the Californian club.

If there's any which can top that, please post here.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Re: Most tasteless club name?

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:05 pm

Most apt band name? Allan Johnston & the Easybeats.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:40 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Most apt band name? Allan Johnston & the Easybeats.
Careful, careful. Much more and Gus MacPherson might start singing "Homeward Bound."

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:30 pm

You don`t mean - gasp - he`s in line to be the next manager of the Famous Glasgow Rangers??!!
Last train tae Govan Central,
Last train tae Govan Central,
If ye miss this wan there`ll never be anither wan,
Beatty, beatty, bum, bum tae Govan Central.
(apologies to Johnny Duncan & the Bluegrass Boys circa 1958)

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Nope, I meant Rugby Park should a vacancy arise. Though Ibrox may have something in the sits vac sooner after tonight.

BTW I always thought the Billy Connolly version was "bare bum" I recall in the mid-70s his line about "spent my money and pawned my jacket" coming true when a mate of mine did just that. Ironically enough, just a couple of says after a crowd of us had seen Connolly at Newcastle City Hall - possibly one of his first English gigs before Parkinson made him famous south of the border.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:18 am

Originally a calypso song, long before the Johnny Duncan version (not that there's anything wrong with a wee daud of bluegrass)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMyNcMG7Ryk

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Sorry, when you said "homeward bound" I thought you meant home to his 1st club ie the FGR. Taxi for McCoist? What`s he being paid?? I never ever imagined I`d see the day when the FGR would toss away a two goal lead and lose a game in the final minute. How many millions are they in debt now?

Aten

Post by Aten » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:49 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Sorry, when you said "homeward bound" I thought you meant home to his 1st club ie the FGR. Taxi for McCoist? What`s he being paid?? I never ever imagined I`d see the day when the FGR would toss away a two goal lead and lose a game in the final minute. How many millions are they in debt now?
Therein lies the paradox. Since most, including the fawning media, regard this Rangers as the same club as the previous one then the Alloa result must easily surpass the Berwick Rangers result of 1967. 2-0 up with 17 minutes left and lose 3-2, come on.

Loved Barry Smith’s retort to Ally McCoist’s “my players clocked off at 2-0 up” to which he said, “Mine clocked off at 4.30.”

Oh depending on what source you believe, they are debt free. Disregarding what they owe Ashley of course.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:48 am

Isn`t the Rangers/Newco not similar to Dundee pre/post 1898? For statistical purposes I consider Dundee starting in 1893 up to date.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:49 am

Sorry for grammar error.

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:32 am

Aten wrote: Therein lies the paradox. Since most, including the fawning media, regard this Rangers as the same club as the previous one
I'm sure if/when Ra Tic play the Rangers newco, they won't charge their dimwitted supporters the £40+ they did in 2011-12 when they last played the oldco but prices equivalent to that of a match against a newly promoted team.

You will have every ground for complaint if they don't.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:05 pm

I thought this question had been settled long ago when there was a decision of some sort that they kept the history? In any case, and I know I've said this on more than one occasion but it's worth repeating, if something looks, waddles, and quacks like a duck then there's little doubt in my mind as to what it is.

Aten

Post by Aten » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:43 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Isn`t the Rangers/Newco not similar to Dundee pre/post 1898? For statistical purposes I consider Dundee starting in 1893 up to date.
I have only Dundee sources to go on.

According to Norrie Price in his centenary history (1893-1993) “Up wi’ the Bonnets!” Dundee did not actually go into liquidation. Although most directors were prepared to put the club into voluntary liquidation, others pre-empted this by placing the club into receivership/administration, which they came out of and preserved continuation. This would be similar to the recent events at Dunfermline, Hearts and Livingston.

However, Jim Wilkie in his book “Across the Great Divide” states that the club did go into liquidation but that the new proprietors would strike a deal with the liquidators and make the club “not a new body, but merely a reorganised continuation.” Nevertheless he does go on to point out that the official Dundee FC programme of 1983 gives 20th December 1898 as the date on which the present Dundee FC was founded.

Like the Rangers pantomime, as clear as mud. You pay your money and take your choice.

lbb

Post by lbb » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:34 pm

Aten wrote:However, Jim Wilkie in his book “Across the Great Divide” states that the club did go into liquidation but that the new proprietors would strike a deal with the liquidators and make the club “not a new body, but merely a reorganised continuation.” Nevertheless he does go on to point out that the official Dundee FC programme of 1983 gives 20th December 1898 as the date on which the present Dundee FC was founded.

Like the Rangers pantomime, as clear as mud. You pay your money and take your choice.
Leaving aside the obvious answers - religious bigotry, for one - why would anyone be in a hurry to kill off any club? You claim to be a football fan - nominally, at least - so what does it matter to you what other football fans think about their clubs? Why would you seek to deny them the pleasure from their team that you must get from your own team?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:10 pm

Kilmarnock say they were founded in 1869. I have a copy of an advert in the Kilmarnock Standard from January 2nd that year giving notice of "a general meeting of the above club" which would suggest they were in existence in 1868. A membership card was issued in 1879. I also have a copy of a minute from October 25th 1872 which states the purpose of the meeting is "to form football club." Four of the 1872 committee members were also mentioned as committee members on the 1869 membership card. When Killie played in their first Scottish Cup Final in 1898 their date of formation was given in the press as 1872. Their fiftieth anniversary dinner took place in October 1918, suggesting a foundation date of 1868. A club history was published the following year giving the date as 1869.

My take on it is that the club was most likely founded in 1868 but no evidence has been uncovered to prove that definitively. There is evidence from at least two sources - the advert and the membership card - it was in existence in 1869. There is no mention of it ceasing to exist between then and 1872 but also no record of any activity. The presence of four of the 1869 committee members on the 1872 committee is definite. Why there is no reference to 1869 isn't made clear. All I can suggest is that there was a paucity of opponents in those days with most games being inter-club and that these lapsed for some time. The next meeting after October 1872 decided to play by rugby rules and the first recorded match is a 0-0 draw with a Kilmarnock Cricket Club XI. Later matches provided scores such as "0-1 and three tries." Fifteen-a-side matches took place over four periods of twenty minutes and also two period of forty-five minutes. Killie refused a request from Queen's Park for a match, saying as a rugby club they couldn't oblige.

It was only when Queen's wrote again in March 1873 asking for a quid towards the Scottish Cup that the club "agreed that next season the rules of the Association should be adopted."

It could be argued that the club's foundation as a football club isn't 1868, 1869 or even 1872 but October 18th 1873 when they played Renton in the Scottish Cup. Even then, ten-man Killie were penalised throughout for handling.