Most tasteless club name?

For English, European and World football topics.

Re: Most tasteless club name?

Postby bobby s » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:33 am

There's a south american team called Deportivo Wanka. I'm sure it means something else in spanish.
It's the Hope I can't stand
bobby s

Postby the hibLOG » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:42 am

bobby s wrote:There's a south american team called Deportivo Wanka. I'm sure it means something else in spanish.

Nickname: "Los Wankeros". I kid you not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportivo_Wanka

The name comes from the city of Huancayo in Peru where they play. Wikipedia notes with its customary deadpan objectivity: In 2006, it emerged that Deportivo Wanka strips had become a cult collectible item for British football fans, with over 1,000 strips selling in the space of a few weeks.[3] The British slang word wanker "one who masturbates", sounds like Wanka when said with a (non-rhotic) British accent. The Sun quoted a club spokesman as saying that "It is very strange. Everyone in Britain seems to think we have a funny name."
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Scottish » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:11 pm

Kilmarnock once played a team called Wankie from the then Rhodesia. They're now known as Hwange. Not being overly familiar with it, I've no idea if that's also a change in pronunciation. And let us not forget that delightful (alas, no more) stadium in Berne, setting for the 1954 World Cup Final and the 1961 European Cup Final - the Wankdorf.

These though are humorous rather than the downright bad taste of the Earthquakes.

On the meaning of Wanka, it must be something local. In Spanish, being a very practical language, although the letter K exists and is in exactly the same place on my Spanish keyboard as it would be on a British one, it's scarcely used (other than for Kilos etc and even there I've seen Qu used). The K sound already exists with Qu and is also used as a hard C in the formations ca, co, cu - Ka Kaw Koo as my Spanish teacher taught me, with ce and ci as a soft th sound. And v as b, d as th, ll as y, ñ as ny, g the same as c with ga, gaw, goo but ge and gi as che and chi (but as in loch, not th), i as ee, j as h, u as oo, z as yet another th. I take back what I said about it being practical!

Some of the changes are imperceptible. You can hardly tell the difference between a native English speaker saying "Valencia" than a Spanish one saying "Balenthia." But Valladolid is a nightmare if you don't understand the pronunciation.

Of course perception of one's native tongue is different to that of non-native speakers. In six years in Spain I never met a single person who could understand that I found it rather amusing that the slang term for male genitalia was a female noun and for female a male one.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby the hibLOG » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:28 am

On the meaning of Wanka, as I mentioned in my post it's derived from the city name and presumably local indigenous culture/tribe/language. Once again, Wiki to the rescue, telling us that Huancayo, the place name in the Wanka Quechua language, translates approximately as '(place) with a (sacred) rock'.

I said ROCK. :roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huancayo
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Scottish » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:25 pm

To take the humourous rather than bad taste, Argentina's Atlético Colón may be a reference to Columbus but it's a bit different in English. Mustn't forget that in the early days of the Internet ARSEnal and sCUNThorpe played havoc with search engines. In Switzerland Young Boys look to have a distinct advantage over Grasshoppers.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Snuff » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:28 pm

Look, stop this nonsense - the most tasteless club name is Cumnock Juniors, end of.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby the hibLOG » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:51 pm

Surely the most tasteless name must be Blandford United?
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Alan McCabe » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:45 pm

If this is about 'blandness' then I propose Glaswegian amateurs from the turn of the 20th Century, Normal Athletic.

Now there's an inspiring name although they were actually a club representing a teaching college!
Alan McCabe

Postby Scottish » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:11 am

What about Greenock Abstainers? The only thing they appeared to abstain from was playing football. Three Scottish Cup ties between Sep 1889 & Sep 1891. One goal scored and forty-one conceded. They never appeared after that.

Maybe it was enough to drive them to drink?
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Aten » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:30 am

scottish wrote:What about Greenock Abstainers? The only thing they appeared to abstain from was playing football. Three Scottish Cup ties between Sep 1889 & Sep 1891. One goal scored and forty-one conceded. They never appeared after that.

Maybe it was enough to drive them to drink?

Or how about Temperance Athletic from Possilpark who resided at Saracen Park? Hammered 18-2 by Cowlairs in their first appearance in the Scottish Cup 1888/89. Drawn at home against Summerton Athletic the following season, they wisely scratched never to appear again.

Then there is United Abstainers Athletic from Crosshill. Four appearances in the Scottish Cup between 1887 and 1890. Lost to Pollockshields Athletic in 1887/88 but got their revenge the following season only to be crushed 11-0 by Battlefield in the next round. That was followed by a 6-2 defeat to Rangers 1889/90 and another 11-0 defeat in 1890/91, this time to might of Burnbank Swifts.
Aten

Postby Aten » Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:03 am

Alan McCabe wrote:If this is about 'blandness' then I propose Glaswegian amateurs from the turn of the 20th Century, Normal Athletic.

Now there's an inspiring name although they were actually a club representing a teaching college!

Some other Glasgow teasers - Aesthetics (1881, rather nicely turned out), Artic (1878, a cold welcome guaranteed), Berlin (1876, a Teutonicly disiplined team), Chevaliers (1877, a knightly display), Daisy (1877, no wallflowers that lot), Effort (1877, always tried their best), Electric (1877, played with lightening speed), English High School (1876, no Scots allowed), Florence (1876, needed Dougal's help), Matilda (1875, waltzed off apparently), Orchard (1877, apples in plenty), Outsiders (1875, felt a bit remote), Ramblers (1874, a good walk spoiled), Telegraphist (1874, did the message get across?) and Viceroy (1878, ruled a lost colony).

No doubt I've missed a few others!
Aten

Postby HibeeJibee » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:06 pm

There were also Greenock Abstainers.

"Sir John Maxwell" - Scottish Cup entries in 1882 and 1883, even winning a tie! - is a personal favourites of mine. Simply as I imagine the joke: "who did you lose to?" / "it was Sir John Maxwell" / "what, he beat 11 of you all on his own?".

How glorious would it be if "Sir John Maxwell" ever played "John Elder".

One of the Bute clubs briefly renamed themself Balaclava Rangers for whatever reason. Some of the more exotic names include Bellstane Birds, Bonnybridge Grasshoppers, Albatross, Coylton Coila, Crieff Morrisonians, Harmonic, Inverness Citadel, Jedburgh Artisans, Kilmarnock Loch Lomonds (?), Renfrew Ramblers, Rising Thistle Lochmaben and the glorious "Perseverance Arbroath", "Shagran" and "Champfleurie".
HibeeJibee

Postby Scottish » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:38 pm

HibeeJibee wrote:
How glorious would it be if "Sir John Maxwell" ever played "John Elder".

Don't Osborne & Violet still play each other?
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Snuff » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:54 pm

The old South Ayrshire Junior League, of which my maternal grand-father was president, had some exotic, and tasteful names.
Leaving aside the immortal Glenbuck Cherrypickers, we have Benwhat Heatherbell and Rankinston Mountaineers - what a glorious description of their pitch that is.

Clearly, from some of the posts on this subject, when it comes to team names - there is a poet within many a Scottish club official's breast.

I remember, when working at the Paisley Daily Express, we agreed to print the weekly results and league tables from the local five-a-side league. All went well, until the paper's Chief Sub had to stand-in for the holidaying sports sub, and, having had a humour by-pass, he baulked at some of the team names:

Norfork 'n Chance; Had Your Spliff, Inter Yer Maw, Deportiva La Coronary and one or two others had him at boiling point. But, as I told him: "It's Paisley, live with it".

I still maintain, the greatest club name ever had to be AC Milanda, the Glasgow bakery's team in the Glasgow Works League. a true classic.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Scottish » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Snuff wrote:

Norfork 'n Chance; Had Your Spliff, Inter Yer Maw, Deportiva La Coronary and one or two others had him at boiling point. But, as I told him: "It's Paisley, live with it".

I still maintain, the greatest club name ever had to be AC Milanda, the Glasgow bakery's team in the Glasgow Works League. a true classic.

Norfolk n' chance used to be passed around as a tip at the bookies as was the more promising Suffolk Uncertainty.

AC Milanda was a good one. As was the more recent Dunfermline fans six-a-side team Parscelona. Of course the charity eleven Dukla Pumpherston is also hard to beat.

Going back to "real" teams I hope Israeli side Irony Tiberias have a sense of humour good enough to understand what their name sounds like in English.
Scottish
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to International