Most tasteless club name?

For English, European and World football topics.

Re: Most tasteless club name?

Postby Alan McCabe » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:34 pm

A couple of additional thoughts.

The club from Loch Lomondside was Kilmaronock Thistle...note the slight difference in spelling...and they played near the hamlet of Gartocharn near Drymen.

Having run clubs in the amateur leagues over the years, a number of memorable names spring to mind.
Following on from AC Milanda, Falkirk's version was AC Mill Inn.
Edinburgh Sunday Amateurs once boasted the manly-sounding Posey Nancy's FC.
Or what about the club that represented the former RSNH (Royal Scottish National Hospital, previously Larbert Lunatic Asylum in Victorian times) at the sprawling Bellsdyke Hospital...yes, you've guessed it...Red Star Bellsdyke.
My all time favourite though came in the 1985 Scottish Sunday Amateur Cup when one of the Falkirk clubs drew Borussia Moenchencarrontown!
Alan McCabe

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Milanda Amateurs won the Scottish Amateur Cup in 1956.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Scottish » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:59 pm

Moving away from clubs to players there have been plenty of embarrassing names over the years. Raphael Scheidt comes immediately to mind ("You're Scheidt and you know you are" being sung in all sincerity and accuracy, both literal and metaphorical). "One job on Teesside, there's only one job on Teesside" rang out at the Riverside when Joseph-Desire of the ilk played for Middlesbrough. I used to play alongside a big-headed, thought he was Platini, guy who revelled in the nickname Juan. He was so conceited he genuinely thought it was in imitation of Juanito who played for Real Madrid at the time. It never occurred to him that his surname Kerr might have had something to do with it. I am glad though, that the big, burly defender in that team didn't quite have the brains to figure out that his name Kinnell might have led to him being given the nickname Fuh.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Scottish » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:01 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Milanda Amateurs won the Scottish Amateur Cup in 1956.

Did they beat Breadalbane in the final? Was their winning goal scored by someone using their loaf? Or was the shot sliced? Being amateurs there wouldn't be any dough in it for them anyway. At any rate it looks like the opposition were toast.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:21 am

A well bred team. Goalie was Rolan Butter(fingers). Yes, their amateur status meant they didn`t earn their crust from footie that`s plain but they did play their football Pan Scotia although not against Rising Thistle. Were they, I wonder, on piece work? Did their supporters want even bigger wins ie. with jam on it? I believe their Cup winning goal came when their centre forward, Jammie Dodger, beat the `keeper despite being sandwiched between 2 defenders.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Scottish » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:44 am

Those references to a certain preserve remind me that as a small boy I heard the term so many times that I was convinced there was a team in Scotland called Jammy Rangers.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Scottish » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:34 am

I suppose the suitability or otherwise of including South African club Moroka Swallows in this thread depends upon whether Moroka is a place or a name.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Rob R » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:22 pm

The story of Kinnell & Kerr reminded me of a few years ago the team I played for had a striker who exasperated us all with his missed sitters, anyway we had a new assistant team manager who was filling in the team sheet to be handed to the referee before the game and he said to our striker " Gavin whats your surname " and one of the lads pipes up " Gavin is his surname, his first name is FFS.
Rob R

Postby Snuff » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Scottish wrote:

I was convinced there was a team in Scotland called Jammy Rangers.

Perhaps memory is playing tricks on me, but, I am sure, when I was growing-up 'Fun and Games wi Andy James' in the Weekly News, in addition to featuring Wan Fittit and the stars of Invertottie Howkers, sometimes featured a team named 'Glasgow Breengers'.

I think we all knew which leading Scottish club this referred to!!
Snuff
Snuff

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:14 am

Didn`t the Harry Wraggs have a full back partnership Dinnie, Kerr some years ago?
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Scottish » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:34 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Didn`t the Harry Wraggs have a full back partnership Dinnie, Kerr some years ago?

Not sure about that but in the late Sixties it was rumoured that Man City were on the lookout for a player named Candle to play alongside Bell and Book.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Or Aberdeen trying to sign Flatulance to play alongside Windass.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Rob R » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:07 am

In the 60s Kilmarnock had King & Queen , Celtic had Young & Auld
Rob R

Postby Scottish » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:34 am

Rob R wrote:In the 60s Kilmarnock had King & Queen , Celtic had Young & Auld

Gerry Queen was transferred to Crystal Palace and when involved in a fracas at Selhurst Park, the headline (possibly apocryphal) in one paper declared:

"QUEEN IN BRAWL AT PALACE"

There was also the quiz question "Where did both King and Queen stand to attention as the Soviet national anthem was played?" The answer being Rugby Park in 1967 when Soviet PM Alexei Kosygin on a visit to Britain took in a league game between Killie & Rangers.

He later emigrated to the USA where he was involved in coaching children. To the best of my knowledge he still is. There's a YouTube video out there somewhere. Andy King (looking not much older than in his playing days) is still a regular attender at Rugby Park.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:38 pm

Palace was the side I watched in the early 70s and the genuine headline at the time was QUEEN SIGNES ON @ PALACE. They were the last London club to reach the top division and I think I`m right in saying there were 6 London derbies one season. I saw them beat Manchester Utd. 5-1 with Queen & John "Yogi" Hughes both scoring but they just couldn`t beat any of their London rivals for years.

Killie also had a Brown & a Black.

Scotland have also had a White, Brown, Green, Black, Grey.
LEATHERSTOCKING

PreviousNext

Return to International