Most tasteless club name?

For English, European and World football topics.

Re: Most tasteless club name?

Postby Scottish » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:45 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:They were the last London club to reach the top division

Wimbledon and Millwall might disagree

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote: Scotland have also had a White, Brown, Green, Black, Grey.

And a few Orange as well.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:01 pm

FUN & GAMES WI` ANDY JAMES`S Wan Fittit reminds me of Bud Neill`s Lobey Dosser`s(the sheriff of Calton Creek) nemesis Rank Badjin. Neill had a football cartoon in Mondays` Daily Express - brilliant!!One I remember was a Motherwell vs. Rangers Cup game @ Hampden when the caption below Bud`s quirky drawings started,"Wilson had a rough pip emma from Well`s McSeveney. It`s the first time I`ve seen the twist performed in mid air & upside down."
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Snuff » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Bud Neill was a Dunfermline Athletic fan.

I well recall one cartoon, where below a drawing of a Dunfermline fan, carrying a banner on which was written: "Pars For The Cup", the caption said: "A youth who bore midst snow and ice, a banner with this strange device".

Then, of course. there was his legendary cartoons of wee fat wifie's, repleat with headscarf and two bulging message bags.

Who can forget his wee wifie: next to a newspaper billborad about a yacht race at Rhu, asking a be-medalled commissionaire:

"Yaffayacht-whityachtyiaff"?
Snuff
Snuff

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:08 am

From 1945, barber asking a civvy customer,"Short back & sides sur? You`ll want to look smart for the invasion." Two disgruntled Gers` fans,"Baxter`s no` playin`, he`s in the sojers." "They should a` be in the sojers & drafted tae the Gobi Desert."
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:30 am

From 1945, barber asking a civvy customer,"Short back & sides sur? You`ll want to look smart for the invasion." Two disgruntled Gers` fans,"Baxter`s no` playin`, he`s in the sojers." "They should a` be in the sojers & drafted tae the Gobi Desert."
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Snuff » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:22 am

Pawnee Mary O' Argyll - sheer genius.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Rob R » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Jeff Sterling on Gillette Sky Super Saturday informed viewers today , Braintree Town of the Conference have a Marks & Sparkes in their line up.
Rob R

Postby the hibLOG » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:06 am

Snuff wrote:Who can forget his wee wifie: next to a newspaper billborad about a yacht race at Rhu, asking a be-medalled commissionaire:

"Yaffayacht-whityachtyiaff"?[/b]

Or the newspaper vendor standing by a poster reading "Horrible Glasgow tragedy!" and the wifie says "Well I wouldn'y say you're as bad as that, Mac, but yer no ile paintin right enough..."
Fraser
the hibLOG

Postby Rob R » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:14 am

Another two team mates with names that go with something else, was the Rangers 72 Cup Winners Cup Full back pairing of Jardine & Mathieson. Jardine Matheson(note small spelling difference) is one of the biggest conglomerate's in Asia based in Hong Kong and founded by two Scottish and I'll use the word loosely " entrepreneur's ". Both Jardine & Matheson were very much instrumental in the start of the Opium Wars.
Rob R

Postby Snuff » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Rob R wrote:

Both Jardine & Matheson were very much instrumental in the start of the Opium Wars.

However, in spite of the tenuous connection with the 'Barcelona Bears', I cannot see Jardine Matheson getting involved in the 2015 Ibrox Boardroom War.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Scottish » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:11 pm

Snuff wrote:

However, in spite of the tenuous connection with the 'Barcelona Bears', I cannot see Jardine Matheson getting involved in the 2015 Ibrox Boardroom War.

There was some embarrassment in Barcelona a few years back when Rangers visited and not just because their fans decided to wreak damage in the city in the same manner in which they had done so on the pitch on their previous visit in 1972. It seems they got wind there was a bar in the town called the Barcelona Bears Club. They wrongly assumed this was a watering hole for expats of an Ibrox persuasion. It was in fact an establishment in which hirsute gentlemen met and made friends with other hirsute gentlemen.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Snuff » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:19 pm

Scottish wrote:

It was in fact an establishment in which hirsute gentlemen met and made friends with other hirsute gentlemen.

Now now David, you knowing that might reinforce the prejudices of certain people from elsewhere in Ayrshire as regards Marr College former pupils, other than the Broon brothers and big Gulliver, I might add!!!
Snuff
Snuff

Postby Scottish » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:50 pm

Snuff wrote
Now now David, you knowing that might reinforce the prejudices of certain people from elsewhere in Ayrshire as regards Marr College former pupils, other than the Broon brothers and big Gulliver, I might add!!!

All these years later I finally understand why the Rector hauled me into his office one day and demanded I shave more often. For over forty years I have laboured under the illusion he just hated Noddy Holder-type sideburns.
Scottish
Site Admin

Previous

Return to International