Jackie Sewell

For English, European and World football topics.
Essex Corcaigh

Jackie Sewell

Post by Essex Corcaigh » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:02 pm

:mrgreen:

Here to pick brains again.

During the research I'm doing I've found, in various sources, that Jackie Sewell, the former Ingerland international, played internationally for Zambia as well. Does anyone know if that's correct ?

There are those who are Irish and those who wish they were Irish !

Snuff

Re: Jackie Sewell

Post by Snuff » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:32 am

Sewell's Wikipedia entry includes a link to a Nottingham Post articel, an interview with Sewell himslef, which goes into some detail about his spell in Africa.

He definitely mentions playing and captaining Zambia, and, I doubt if the Nottingham Post would have mentioned it, had it not happened.

I know, we have, at times, to be doubting of some Wikipedia entries, but, the Nottingham Post article appears kosher to me.
Snuff

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Here is a link with some more information:

https://zambianfootball.wordpress.com/2 ... m-captain/

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:58 am

Not about Zambia but somewhere in the dim recesses of the memory I recall reading in the "Boys Book of Football" (was that the title?) about a Sheffield Wednesday player becoming the first in the UK to be literally worth his weight in gold. What I can't recall is whether it was Jackie Sewell signing for the Owls from Notts County or Albert Quixall departing Hillsborough for Man Utd.

I hasten to add this was an older cousin's book. I am, of course, far too young to have had said book at time of publication myself.

Essex Corcaigh

Post by Essex Corcaigh » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:02 pm

Thank you very much for your replies gentlemen. It's obviously a fact. I love finding stuff out like that !

Bristol Rovers

Post by Bristol Rovers » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:44 pm

Essex Corcaigh wrote::mrgreen:

Here to pick brains again.

During the research I'm doing I've found, in various sources, that Jackie Sewell, the former Ingerland international, played internationally for Zambia as well. Does anyone know if that's correct ?

I also wondered about this when I spotted it a few months back; I came to the conclusion he did play for Zambia. On a similar theme, the late Peter Hooper of Bristol Rovers always claimed he won a cap for Kenya, in a game against Uganda in 1951. I lived in Kenya for five years and have trawled through what sparse records there are - Kenya didn't play Uganda that year at all, and there is no record of anyone by that name ever playing for them. However, Hooper was always adamant he had played. Who do we believe?

Essex Corcaigh

Post by Essex Corcaigh » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:04 am

I also looked at a blog on Wordpress which stated that Jackie Sewell played ten times for Zambia, scoring six goals. He's incredibly well thought of there. I am convinced it's kosher !

As for Peter Hooper, I have no idea although I'll have a look !