Jimmy Hill RIP

For English, European and World football topics.
bluedragon

Jimmy Hill RIP

Post by bluedragon » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:51 am

It was sad to hear of the passing of Jimmy Hill. Much has been written about his long and varied career associated with football. Indeed the only part that you could describe as “ordinary” was his playing career. Coventry City was a perfect place for his short managerial career. As general manager of the club he realised that it was as important to have his club on the front page as well as the back pages.

He oversaw the “Sky Blue Revolution”. Perhaps this was not as well known in Scotland but his seemingly inexhaustible innovation saw Coventry lead the way in increased seating, pre-match entertainment, supporters’ travel, matchday magazine, etc, etc. Alongside this he oversaw their advance to the old English First Division. I am sure that the club’s 34-year continuous stay in the First Division/Premier League was largely down to the foundations laid by Jimmy Hill. I do not think it is overstepping the mark to say that perhaps only Bill Shankly at Liverpool from this era left a bigger imprint on their respective clubs.

There are two similarities. First, both arrived after their new clubs had suffered embarrassing FA Cup defeats to non-league opposition. Secondly, both made it clear they would only become managers if they had complete control. In Bill Shankly’s case it was complete control over selecting the team. With Jimmy Hill, and as a general manager, he insisted on being given power to introduce his new ideas.

Rob R

Re: Jimmy Hill RIP

Post by Rob R » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:55 pm

He certainly was a trail blazer, his 1970 World Cup studio panel was a huge success, but I have never been impressed with the 3 points for a win that he successfully lobbied the Football League to adopt and the rest of the world followed suit. He wasn't a popular figure with the Tartan Army, but yes he was a football man through and through.