MINOR INTERNATIONALS

For English, European and World football topics.

MINOR INTERNATIONALS

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:16 am

Can anyone help with teams, scorers & referee of the Eire XI vs. Scotland match in Dublin in April 1940? Also Queen`s Park`s Jimmy Gilmour played in a Scottish semi professional international(bit of an oxymoron for an amateur) in the 1980s; can anyone help with this game`s details? Thanking you in anticipation.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Re: MINOR INTERNATIONALS

Postby tribalcolours » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:11 pm

Dublin game at Dalymount Park. Scottish XI beat Eire XI 3-2. Att: 21,630

Scottish XI: Brown, Kirk (both Clyde), Carabine (Third Lanark), Bolt (Rangers), Lyon (Celtic), Weir (Clyde), McSpadyen, McKennan (both Partick Thistle),Gillick (Everton), Dewar (Third Lanark), Caskie (St Mirren)

Peter McKennan was on loan to Linfield at the time. Torry Gillick was on loan to Airdrie

Eire XI: Twomey, Thompson (both Sligo Rovers), Feenan (Shelbourne), O'Reilly (St James's Gate), Dalton (Bray Unknowns), Lunn (Dundalk), Kennedy (St James's Gate), Dunne (Shamrock Rovers), Bradshaw (St James's Gate), Carey (Man Utd), O'Keeffe (Waterford)

Ref: P Snape (Manchester)

Scorers: Scottish: Gillick, Dewar, McKennan
Eire: Dunne, Bradshaw

HT 1-1
tribalcolours

Postby tribalcolours » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:17 pm

regards jimmy gilmour

the last Queen`s Park player to turn out for Scotland was Jimmy Gilmour who came on as a second half substitute for the "semi professionals" vs. England @ Scarborough on 4th June 1983!

dont have the scottish team listing, have the english one.
tribalcolours

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Hearty thank you for theseTribacolour! I I have the Dublin attendance as 21,360 so it might be dyslexia kicking in: I have the date as 28/4/1940. Just needed to know Gilmour`s opponents so full team not so important. I`m only too well aware that Gilmour is the last Spiders to tug a blue jersey over his head & just can`t understand how the SFA can keep iignoring the talengt now, sadly, languishing in the 4th division. Before Gilmour, Queen`s last Internationalist was Jim Cruickshank in 1960 @ U23.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby bluedragon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:01 pm

tribalcolours wrote:regards jimmy gilmour

the last Queen`s Park player to turn out for Scotland was Jimmy Gilmour who came on as a second half substitute for the "semi professionals" vs. England @ Scarborough on 4th June 1983!

dont have the scottish team listing, have the english one.

I have four other players who were in the squad but have no details of how many or which of the three tournament games they played in:

John Brogan (St Johnstone)
Maurice Johnston (Partick Thistle)
Colin Harris (Raith Rovers)
Eric Morris (Ayr United)
John Colquhoun (Stirling Albion)
bluedragon

Return to International