Shawfield of Old

The place to discuss Scottish football
Shawfield Boy

Shawfield of Old

Post by Shawfield Boy » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:27 pm

First post, so deep breath, here goes.....

What was Shawfield like before the greyhounds (not the dogs themselves!) became involved. For instance, did the terracing extend more towards the park, only to be reduced to accommodate the dog track and the football, and did the terracing extend round behind the goal where the Tote board was built?

Cheers

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:05 am

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I can't recall Shawfield before the dugs but I'd imagine the ground would have to have been a lot closer to the pitch given that it held over 45,000 and couldn't take more than 30,000 when it was in use as a greyhound track.

kiwiscot

Shawfield of Old

Post by kiwiscot » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:50 am

Would have hated to been in anything like a 30,000 crowd there. I went to a Wednesday evening game there in 1967 to see Clyde and Rangers only eleven days after the Berwick disaster and of the six goals scored that night in a 5-1 win to Rangers I only saw one, by Alex Willoughby. I dont know what the crowd was but being only 13 at the time it sure was uncomfortible. I took a friend with me that night to his first football match and I think it was his last also. (No snide remarks about the teams please ) The last time I was there in 1976 and a bit more money in my pocket ,I had a stand seat at a Scottish Cup replay between Clyde and Hearts although there was plenty of room on the terraces that night.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:29 am

Crowd for the 1967 match was 19,574 and for 1976 5,378. The biggest attendance post-war I can find for Shawfield is 32,700 v Rangers in the League Cup in 1954-55.

Though I take your point about large crowds in small grounds. I've long been of the view that Scottish football avoided more tragedies like Ibrox in 1971 more by luck than design. I for one have felt far safer in six-figure crowds at Hampden and Wembley than in crowds of around 25,000 at Muirton and Somerset.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:12 am

Kiwiscot, I was at the Clyde Hearts Cup game in the mid-seventies (assuming that's the game you refer to) and I have two distinct memories of that game. At halftime the crowd on the terracing "changed ends", and being around 12 years old my feet were lifted off the ground and I was carried along for some yards. Also, my dad and I left a few minutes before the end, and heard a roar just as we got to the car. It was only when we got home that we discovered Willie Gibson had scored for Hearts in the last minute. Ah, the Good Old Days....

kiwiscot

Shawfield of Old

Post by kiwiscot » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:39 am

Yes thats the same game, I remember Hearts scored late in the game, but didnt you think about hanging around in case extra time had to be played. I wasnt long home from NZ at the time having been there for about 15 months, and I brought my girlfriend (Future wife ) back with me and she went to visit English reletives in London that week, so the night before I went to Firhill to watch Thistle reserves play Dumbarton reserves in a 2nd X1 Cup tie after 120 minutes of boring scoreless football, the guy in the next seat said to me, " and to think I missed watching Faulty Towers for this " of course I had never heard of FT at the time so he gave me a quick rundown of the various episodes during the penalty shootout. Strange lot they jags fans. PS I think Thistle won.

kiwiscot

Shawfield of Old

Post by kiwiscot » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:54 am

Totaly agree with you David about averting disaster more by luck than design, I think the worst I was ever in was Annfield Park Stirling with a ten or twelve thousand crowd. and Starks Park in1968 with a 20,000 something crowd in the days of roll up and pay at the gate.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:55 am

Having been in Starks Park with just over 10,000 in it there's no way I can imagine it accommodating twice as many though as we all know it has actually held over 30,000 several times. I still find it difficult to believe that places like Starks Park, Muirton, Douglas Park, Cliftonhill ever held as many people as they did and if I hadn't been there myself I'd put Somerset Park into the same category.

There was also the fact that crowds weren't segregated in those days and trouble was liable to break out at any time, meaning there was a mass crush to get out of the way of the bother as well as a few heid-the-baws running towards the fighting.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Kiwiscot, in another throwback to the good old days, if the game had stayed level it would have gone to a third game, on a neutral ground.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:43 pm

One of the mercifully rare fatalities at a Scottish football match was @ Shawfield when a boy was killed by a falling wall during the Clyde/Celtic game there Division One 14th December 1957.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:28 am

Leatherstocking, my dad was at that game, he recalls the wall collapsing at the front of the terracing area between the penalty box and the halfway line in the "non-Tote" end. He seems to remember the game either starting or continuing as the seriousness of the incident wasn't realised at the time. Do you have any details as to what else happened?

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:18 am

`Fraid not. All I know is that, yes, it was a wall @ the FRONT of the terrace and that one youngster was trapped and died. Anyone else fill in the details thereafter?

kiwiscot

Shawfield of Old

Post by kiwiscot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:16 pm

I remember sometime in the 1960s , I think it was either the Clyde annual sports day or possibly the Glagow Police annual sports day that were common back then, an athlete whilst taking part in a race, was struck with a hammer thrown by the hammer thrower competing in his own competion, badly injuring him.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:08 am

Reminds me of the old Andy Capp cartoon where his cricketing mate asks him to bowl up a slow one,"The wife`s watching.""Anything to oblige, Chalky but I don`t think you`ll hit her from here."

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:03 pm

Just discovered this photo of the Shawfield disaster on the Scran archive:

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record. ... chdb=scran

Incidentally, this is a fabulous resource. Some other examples

New Meadowbank (with Old Meadowbank on the left) in the early 1960s:

Bill Hiddelston of Third Lanark

Muirton Park

Packed terraces at the Scottish Cup Final of 1979