Just When You Think You've Seen it All

The place to discuss Scottish football
Mike Smith

Just When You Think You've Seen it All

Post by Mike Smith » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:39 pm

In 37 years of following the Hearts I've seen more ups and downs than David Blunkett's guide dog. But just when you think you've seen it all, the Tynecastle chiefs come up with something else to make you reach for the prozac...

None of us ordinary fans know the reason(s) why George Burley has left Hearts. The shambles of a press conference at Tynecastle tonight was a typically fudged affair. Naturally the rumours are flying and speculation is rife about Burley's relationship with Romanov. But if this is the reason why GB has left why on earth would he drop such a bombshell on the morning of a game? Surely he could have left it until Monday - the timing of this is one of the many things which irks me. I suspect that as GB has left with immediate effect and hours before an important league game he has been sacked - if so why????

If another club have come in for Burley I can only imagine it's Everton, Aston Villa or Rangers but as all three clubs already have managers this sounds underhand to say the least.

I remember similar feelings of despair when Hearts sold John Robertson in 1987 and Neil McCann in 1998 (months after we won the Scottish Cup) No matter who is to blame for this, be it Romanov or Burley, the saddest aspect is that the best opportunity for a non Old Firm club to win the league for the first time in over twenty years has surely departed with the former Hearts manager....

:cry:
Author of Follow the Hearts

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:07 pm

I've heard many rumours, that Burley likes a drink [funnily enough supposedly so did Robbo: beginning to smell a rat?], likes female staff members, likes Romanovs niece, turned up today reekin etc etc.

I dinnae believe any of them though.

I think that this is tied into two things.

Firstly, Burley's "not ideal" comments about players being signed by Romanov, and his comments about players coming in that he had no knowledge of.

I would speculate that Romanov then wanted him emptied, but whilst he only held 29.9% of the club he had found little support in light of Hearts spectacular start to the season.

So, secondly, Romanov ups his stake to 50%+. That gave him "total control", and when you have total control you want to excercise total control.

If the next manager that comes in is a Lithuanian, then I suspect that we will have a winner!

A further observation in this scenario is that Romanov does not have Hearts best interests at heart, his motives are more personal driven. That can only be bad news for Hearts.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Neiljb

Post by Neiljb » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:26 pm

What a great season to be a Jambo.

Political intregue, Gladiatorial games, Generals falling on their swords.

Brilliant.

So the King is dead. Long live the King.

Wonder who it will be? :)
Bungs, Sweetners and Christmas Presents. Who'd want to be a manager?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:44 pm

Must confess I thought Burley would last the season out and no longer. if Hearts won the title his stock would be at an all-time high and a decent English Prem job would await him. Didn't expect this at all. As for rumours of him drinking, well, that was common currency at Derby and something Hearts would have been aware of when appointing him.

Personally, I find it hard to believe. A Cumnock man on the bevvy????? Shurely shome mishtake

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:56 pm

Neiljb wrote:So the King is dead. Long live the King.
:)
Well, unless a better manager has become available since July, then the obvious conclusion is that he will not be as good as George Burley...
It's the Hope I can't stand

Ramalhete

Post by Ramalhete » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:42 pm

If his relation with Mr Romanov weren't the best and with Mr Romanov aiming Heats ownership he choose the best time to leave. Maybe this decision will cause some problems to Mr Romanov as some shareholders can blame him for Burley departure.

Even leaving Hearts so soon, the good start of the SPL season and with his former Premier League and Derby County experience he will have no problem finding a new big club. Clubs like Portsmouth, Newcastle, Coventry or Southampton could be looking for new managers soon. And there is also the Republic of Ireland job. They are all very intersting.

The big question now is who will be next manager. He will have a big task ahead because for the first time in many years Hearts are challenging the Old Firm for the SPL title.

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:38 am

Have to laugh at that old codger Bobby Robson. Says he wouldn't have takne the job in July but would consider it now as his circumstances have changed????

What he means is that back in July the job was an unknown quantity. Now the players have been signed, the team knitted together, unbeaten in eleven and top of the league.

It's HEARTS circumstances that have changed. The only change in Robson's circumstances is that he's mowed his lawn.
Fifty one and counting

Level_Par

Post by Level_Par » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:47 pm

According to William Hill Burley was 20-1 to be first SPL boss to be sacked. They took just one bet and that was a fiver.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:50 pm

I can just see Sir Bobby, grand knight of the realm and revered elder statesman of world football taking team selection instructions from a Lithuanian banker with a crap credit rating. :lol:

Vlad is going to end up making Jesus Gil look like a reasonable employer.

If the new manager is anyone other than Ivankauskas - whom Vlad has already sacked once from Kaunas for being too crap - then you would have to draw conclusions about either their sanity or the state of their personal finances.
Fraser

Level_Par

Post by Level_Par » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:06 pm

Hill's make Robson 2-1 fav then this lot. I think the 150-1 shot will be the REAL boss anyway.

N Scala 4/1
G Ivanauskas 9/2
T Butcher 5/1
Byshovets 5/1
L Mathaus 10/1
C Ranieri 10/1
M Mccarthy 12/1
G Souness 12/1
D Moyes 12/1
W Smith 14/1
R Gullit 14/1
David O' Leary 20/1
G Hoddle 25/1
Terry Venables 25/1
C Levein 33/1
Gary Mcallister 33/1
T Mowbray 100/1
V Rominov 150/1

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:04 pm

Terry Vegetables! :lol: The odds are probably about 1000/1 for him NOT to be included in the bookies' list for ANY available vacancy.

And I can see that Craig Levein would really want his old job back now

John Robertson is available again...
Fraser

Level_Par

Post by Level_Par » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:14 pm

the hibLOG wrote:John Robertson is available again...
And being mentioned for EEP. He has a good record everywhere he's been. I wouldn't mind seeing him in tandem with Leish