Colindale - closing down

The place to discuss Scottish football
ScottishFA

Colindale - closing down

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:52 am

The British Library is going to be closing the Colindale newspaper library, as part of its ongoing digitisation process.

The newspapers are being relocated to Yorkshire, the microfilms to St Pancras in central London.

See this article in this week's Times Higher Education for details: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/s ... 409839&c=1

So if you have any important research projects that need access to the original newspapers, better get in there quick!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:16 am

Marvellous article - sums it up well, the horrendous tube journey, the frustratingly limited opening hours. Though I don't quite understand the comment about not getting to know people - it's a library FFS, not a party. The last thing I ever wanted was to get involved in conversation with anyone else, given the restricted hours and the need to get as much done as possible. Or possibly I'm just an antisocial sod.

In fact in all the years I used it (mainly 1992-98) I only ever met one person I knew and he had his head stuck in an old edition of the Edmonton Herald. When I asked what brought him to Colindale he replied "I'm checking up on what the fascists were up to in Tottenham in 1947." I muttered something about whatever it was it was a bit late to do anything about it and that was the extent of my social interaction with anyone other than staff.

"The Alcatraz of the British Library" is just about right. One thing about the removal of the contents: while St Pancras will actually be a lot easier for anyone other than those who actually live in Edgware and surrounds, Boston Spa might as well be Boston, Massachusetts for most.

markbfc

Post by markbfc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:21 pm

The decision is a disaster and they have only just conceded to having a reading room at Boston Spa.

Thousands of newspapers have not been microfilmed which leaves the collection worse off for those that need to access it.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:15 am

There's been another article lamenting the closure, this time in the Guardian, with a specific football theme:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... le-closure

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:55 am

"metaphorical anorak." "reeked of Dettol." And this from a sympathetic account?

markbfc

Post by markbfc » Wed May 05, 2010 11:14 pm

I took a tour behind the scenes there on Wednesday. Interested readers can visit the following link:

http://www.englandsamateurs.com/a-tour- ... r-library/