Away fans

The place to discuss Scottish football
lbb

Away fans

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:06 am

Is there any group of away fans whose attendance makes the game for you?

I was thinking of this whilst watching the Aberdeen fans last night. Fair play to them - no matter how poor Aberdeen are (and they've had some right humdingers over the years), they always turn up in numbers and are always boisterous. Now, maybe just attending Ibrox puts them in a state of utter delirium. Or it's a heady mixture of drink and pills. Whatever the causes, they never give up. 3-1 down last night and they were still jumping around like they're heading for the Champions League Final and they haven't won at Ibrox in 19 years.

So the Aberdeen fans always make for an 'interesting' fixture for me. Outwith Celtic, they're the noisiest away support at our ground and yet they rarely have anything to be noisy about. It's a pity more clubs didn't have such carefree lunatics in their away support.

Gorgiewave

Re: Away fans

Post by Gorgiewave » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:33 am

lbb wrote:Is there any group of away fans whose attendance makes the game for you?

I was thinking of this whilst watching the Aberdeen fans last night. Fair play to them - no matter how poor Aberdeen are (and they've had some right humdingers over the years), they always turn up in numbers and are always boisterous. Now, maybe just attending Ibrox puts them in a state of utter delirium. Or it's a heady mixture of drink and pills. Whatever the causes, they never give up. 3-1 down last night and they were still jumping around like they're heading for the Champions League Final and they haven't won at Ibrox in 19 years.

So the Aberdeen fans always make for an 'interesting' fixture for me. Outwith Celtic, they're the noisiest away support at our ground and yet they rarely have anything to be noisy about. It's a pity more clubs didn't have such carefree lunatics in their away support.
No. If Hibs are loud it's because they're winning. Celtic so often sing about things unrelated to the game and too many Hearts fans take the bait. And I can lose my temper just walking to the ground for a Rangers match. This opinion was sealed in about 2003 or or 2004 when I was working in a supermarket on a Saturday morning and we were playing Rangers at Tynecaslte later in the day. A man appeared with his Rangers cap and I made small talk about the game and cheeky-chappily predicted a wee win for the Famous. He replied: "We've beaten you so often we own you." and stalked off.

Anybody else is pathetic, especially Aberdeen because they come in numbers but it's all based on nostalgia.

As with Tom Sawyer's victims, "They came to jeer and remained to whitewash".

European away fans offer a curiosity factor, the best I've seen being Schalke who brought more than most SPL teams.
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:42 am

I find the Hearts and Hibs away support to be very temperamental according to their current form and their expectations for the match. If they're confident, they're noisy. If they're struggling, they're very quiet. That's why I admire the Aberdeen fans in a strange way. It doesn't seem to matter to them whether they're poor or not. I don't think they're like that for all away games, mind you.

Yes, I'm not a fan of that kind of triumphalism usually uttered by people who head for the exits when some Romanian team scores their fourth goal of the night.

German or Dutch teams tend to be the most crazy of the European teams. Leverkusen and Feyenoord fans were mental. Rotterdam was even worse. Wasn't impressed with Man Utd fans although they brought plenty.

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:56 am

lbb[b] wrote:I find the Hearts and Hibs away support to be very temperamental according to their current form and their expectations for the match. If they're confident, they're noisy. If they're struggling, they're very quiet. [/b] That's why I admire the Aberdeen fans in a strange way. It doesn't seem to matter to them whether they're poor or not. I don't think they're like that for all away games, mind you.

Yes, I'm not a fan of that kind of triumphalism usually uttered by people who head for the exits when some Romanian team scores their fourth goal of the night.

German or Dutch teams tend to be the most crazy of the European teams. Leverkusen and Feyenoord fans were mental. Rotterdam was even worse. Wasn't impressed with Man Utd fans although they brought plenty.
There seems to be a broad split among the Hearts support between those
who think beating Hibs is the be-all-and-end-all and those who know that to really progress we need to regularly beat Rangers and Celtic. Our expectations can rise very quickly - see 2005-06, when we had been 5th the years before, capitulated in the semi-final and looked generally hopeless. But in summer 2005 a "buzz" was created even before the season started - new manager, several new players for whom we had paid money. Also good marketing: we got 15,152 at home to Middlebrough for a friendly because it was free admission. There was also a big support for Hull away, which we won.

But our expectations can also fall very quickly and a depression can fall over the support at one or two defeats. Unlike Rangers and Celtic, who with decades of trophies behind them have an inner confidence (and ounchable arrogance) that seems to see them through.

OFGTF.

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:03 pm

That was the Phil Anderton era, wasn't it? He was very visible in the Scottish media which is unusual for any official outwith the Old Firm. At least not without embarrassing themselves (cf. Keith Wyness). Seemed to have some positive ideas for Hearts to take them forward which is presumably why Romanov got rid of him.

There's not much for many clubs to get excited about in Scotland these days. Even the Old Firm have a kind of joylessness about winning instead of their usual cheery self-restraint. Fair play to the Aberdeen fans for making the effort last night and on all their visits. It may well have been Methylenedioxymethamphetamine or something but I like to think it was just devotion to their team.

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:38 pm

lbb wrote:That was the Phil Anderton era, wasn't it? He was very visible in the Scottish media which is unusual for any official outwith the Old Firm. At least not without embarrassing themselves (cf. Keith Wyness). Seemed to have some positive ideas for Hearts to take them forward which is presumably why Romanov got rid of him.

There's not much for many clubs to get excited about in Scotland these days. Even the Old Firm have a kind of joylessness about winning instead of their usual cheery self-restraint. Fair play to the Aberdeen fans for making the effort last night and on all their visits. It may well have been Methylenedioxymethamphetamine or something but I like to think it was just devotion to their team.
Phil Anderton, aye, he was a class act. I believe he's now with the LTA.

God knows why Romanov got rid of him - apparently harming the club. How winning our first seven matches....

msdkfc

Post by msdkfc » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:50 pm

lbb wrote:That was the Phil Anderton era, wasn't it? He was very visible in the Scottish media which is unusual for any official outwith the Old Firm. At least not without embarrassing themselves (cf. Keith Wyness). Seemed to have some positive ideas for Hearts to take them forward which is presumably why Romanov got rid of him.

I believe it was Keith Wyness who came out with the all-time classic quote during one of the (many) times the OF were desperately trying to leave the SPL.

'They're like two old women on Sauchiehall Street, lifting their knickers to any league that walks past!'

Perfectly put.

Smith Must Score

Post by Smith Must Score » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:56 pm

Aberdeen fans you are having a laugh..coming to Ibrox and singing about the ibrox disaster in which 66 people lost their lives..Scum the lot of them..

killiegradge

Post by killiegradge » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:45 pm

In my time watchin g football i dont think I recall any away fans coming to Rugby Park who CONSISTENTLY support their own team well. Generally smaller teams going to so called bigger teams provide the best support for their team.
I was rather dissapointed by the 300 odd Aberdeen fans at Rugby Park on Sunday. I appreciate they are not doing well at the moment although I do not recall a poorer Aberdeen team.
In terms of best away fans it is usually the foreign clubs who support the team best IMO.

StAndrewsHMFC

Post by StAndrewsHMFC » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:54 pm

I'm afraid I disagree with pretty much everything lbb says about Aberdeen fans. There are a reasonable number of them normally at Tynie and Easter Road but a large number of these are Aberdeen fans that live in the area and their 4 games a season are trips to Tynie and ER. I went to school with a fair number of these type of Aberdeen fans and now know alot of similar fans that work in central Edinburgh. There were under 200 Aberdeen fans at Kilmarnock 5 days ago, hardly travelling in numbers regardless of current form. Like most away supports they're reasonably boisterous unless they fall behind.

I think the effect lbb saw may well have its roots in Aberdeen viewing Rangers as a 'quasi' derby dating back to the 80's (hence chants about Neil Simpson/Ian Durrant and the Ibrox Disaster being amoungst the commonest chants on a night out with Dons), rather than anything that sets them apart on a week by week basis.

As for away supports making a game for me, I honestly don't think Scotland has anything that can compare to the atmosphere at some of the mid-table english teams (Villa, Spurs, Everton) or bundesliga teams away supports.

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:00 pm

Smith Must Score wrote:Aberdeen fans you are having a laugh..coming to Ibrox and singing about the ibrox disaster in which 66 people lost their lives..Scum the lot of them..
To be fair, I didn't hear them sing this last night though it is true to say they have sung it regularly in the past. They did sing about Ian Durrant and other songs that were unsavoury but I'm conscious of the fact that Rangers fans sing unsavoury songs, too. Anyway, it wasn't really about the songs they sing, more the 'spicy' atmosphere of their visit and the effort they put in trying to support their team. Not enough visiting teams do that. I might not like some of the Celtic fans songs but I recognise it would be a dull calendar without that fixture. I'm not sure I want a Scottish football modelled in the image of Graham Spiers.
killiegradge wrote: In terms of best away fans it is usually the foreign clubs who support the team best IMO.
Generally, though, if you travelled several hundred miles for the match and have been drinking all day beforehand then you're going to be in a noisy mood. Our own club and national supports when they travel abroad testify to that.

The familiarity of the top-flight grounds in Scotland is going to have an effect too.
StAndrewsHMFC wrote:There are a reasonable number of them normally at Tynie and Easter Road but a large number of these are Aberdeen fans that live in the area and their 4 games a season are trips to Tynie and ER.
I had considered this possibility. When I was going home, a small number of Aberdeen fans were on the Underground but I can't imagine the majority of their away support was Glasgow-based.
StAndrewsHMFC wrote:Like most away supports they're reasonably boisterous unless they fall behind.
That was the thing, though, they didn't. They celebrated their goal so jubilantly that I momentarily thought away goals were counting double. God bless 'em.
StAndrewsHMFC wrote:As for away supports making a game for me, I honestly don't think Scotland has anything that can compare to the atmosphere at some of the mid-table english teams (Villa, Spurs, Everton) or bundesliga teams away supports.
Unfortunately, I would agree. Population has to be the biggest factor here. A reasonable, noisy away support contributes significantly to the atmosphere of a match yet clubs like Man Utd try and discourage it down south. We simply don't have enough of it here.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:21 am

Small beer, I know but when Queen`s Park visited Ibrox in the League Cup some years ago the six or seven hundred Queen`s supporters kept up a jolly 90 minute racket consisting mainly of the chant,"Eddie Hunter`s black & white army." Malky Mackay hit the bar with a 1st minute header bur the FGR broke away 6 times to snatch victory. Thanks Mo Johnstone!