Billy Reid's non-existent record?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Scottish
Site Admin

Billy Reid's non-existent record?

Post by Scottish » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:21 pm

STV Dec 31st 2010 "Billy Reid will enter Sunday’s Lanarkshire derby as the Accies’ longest serving post war manager."

BBC Jan 1st 2011 "Hamilton Accies boss Billy Reid is not getting carried away about being the club's longest-serving post-war manager "

And over 100 others on the same theme: namely that Billy Reid had surpassed Jimmy McStay as longest-serving post-war Hamilton manager, having served five years and six months. Two problems: firstly, it's likely that Eric Smith was in charge as long as McStay. Smith took over in December 1972 and stayed until the end of the 1977-78 season. That's not that important as Reid has now overtaken that length of tenure for certain. But what about Andy Paton? He was appointed Accies manager on April 15th 1959 and was still there in 1967-68. I'm not sure of the exact date of his departure but the Evening Times mentions him being "severely censured" and fined a tenner for remarks to a referee during a game. This report was on November 27th 1967, more than eight years and seven months after taking over. Unless there was a break in Paton's tenure (and I don't think there was) then he, not Reid, is the record holder.

jeroen

Re: Billy Reid's non-existent record?

Post by jeroen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:11 pm

There's a list of post-war managers in the Hamilton Academicals who's who by Peter McLeish. He agrees Paton was manager until May 1968

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Billy Reid's non-existent record?

Post by Scottish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:24 am

jeroen wrote:There's a list of post-war managers in the Hamilton Academicals who's who by Peter McLeish. He agrees Paton was manager until May 1968
Confirms what I thought. The claims are wrong. Reid would still have to be in post around the start of 2014-15 to overtake Paton.