Aliadiere - who's Strachan kidding?

The place to discuss Scottish football
Gersman

Aliadiere - who's Strachan kidding?

Post by Gersman » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:56 pm

This guy Aliadiere is 22 and made just 28 appearances for Arsenal in six years there. Only seven of these have been starts and just three of those in the league. He's scored five goals in total and four of these have been in the League Cup which as we all know is a reserve competition for the big English clubs until it gets to the semi-finals.

What message does this send to the young Scottish boys we hear so much about like Beattie and Maloney? I thought Strachan was the great Scottish patriot yet with Douglas gone and McNamara away Marshall will be the only Scot in the Celtic team next year - and he's not guaranteed a match.

I genuinely don't think Rangers have anything to fear from Celtic but the next time the wee ginger guy opens his mouth about Scotland I hope somebody reminds him that he prefers a guy who's failed to make the grade in England to his own Scottish players.
Fifty one and counting

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:05 pm

I suppose they'd argue that at least they haven't spent £12million on a guy who flopped as a striker :lol:

Seriously though, there's a wee touch of schadenfreude about seeing Walter Smith and Tommy Burns trying to make a silk purse out of the sow's ear that is the current national squad.

It was Wattie & Toammy who flooded their Old Firm players with sub-standard foreign rejects that helped prevent our onw players from coking through.

I'm not talking Laudrup or Larsson here. But it was under these two that the OF moved to signing imports en masse

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:10 pm

I wouldn't necessarily argue with that but the point I'm making about Strachan is that he was quick to shout his mouth off when wee Berti was appointed, saying it should be a Scot in charge of the national side and sounding off about how we need more Scottish players playing at the top level

And what does he do when he gets the chance? Bye bye Douglas & McNamara. Get back in line Beattie. Not exactly practising what he preaches is he?
Fifty one and counting

Lisbon67

Post by Lisbon67 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:02 pm

Well, we'll see, won't we? The guy is lightning fast and has always looked the part any time I've seen him. Let's be blunt about it. The SPL is nowhere near the standards of the English Premiership so this is a chance for him to show what he can do. Plus he'll get European experience too. If Wenger really didn't rate him then he'd have been loaned to another English club.

I'm not fussed by what Strachan said or didn't say in the past. His comments are hardly surprising considering he was angling for the Scotland job. But he's Celtic manager now and has to do what's best for Celtic, not Scotland. Same as Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho and Benitez put their clubs first not the England team.

He wasn't my choice for the job but he's got it so Strachan is entitled to the support of all Celtic fans.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:24 pm

Hibs have not helped by refusing to sell Riordan and Whittaker to Celtic.

Naughty old Hibs :shock:
It's the Hope I can't stand

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:21 am

There's nobody selling players to them. According to this morning's Herald we're about to steal a player from France they've been after and the Polish striker STILL hasn't signed. And they've more chance of signing David Bellamy than Craig. :lol:
Fifty one and counting

Lisbon67

Post by Lisbon67 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:00 pm

If Wenger really didn't rate him then he'd have been loaned to another English club.
Just gone to West Ham. Is there a sheepish smiley I can use? Or even an erse to represent the total one I've made of myself :oops:

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:32 pm

Actually I thought this was your best quote.
Plus he'll get European experience too
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

That's me away to make sure the passport's up to date
Fifty one and counting