Ally Robertson

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bluedragon

Ally Robertson

Post by bluedragon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:28 am

I am sure that Ally Robertson (West Bromwich Albion and Wolves) was selected to a Scottish youth international squad but I am not sure if he played. I think Graeme Souness may have been in the same squad. If anyone has access to these records to confirm if, when and how many times he played at this level it would be appreciated. Also if he had any future stars as his team mates that would be great to know as well.

Alistair Peter Robertson
Date of Birth 9th September 1952
Place of Birth Linlithgow

Gordon Baird

Re: Ally Robertson

Post by Gordon Baird » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:06 am

He was in the squad for the UEFA International Youth Tournament held in Scotland in May 1970 (at least, he was in the squad listed in the programme).
The others were: G. Anderson (Morton); J. Brown (Aston Villa); J. Brownlie (Hibs); E. Carruthers (Hearts); A. Conn (Rangers); J. Gallacher (Hearts); A. Graham (Aberdeen); D. Graham (Hearts); G. McEwan (Queen of the South); I. Munro (St. Mirren); D. Parlane (Rangers); D. Renton (Rangers); A. Rough (Partick Thistle); G. Souness (Spurs); and K. Watson (Rangers).

Scotland played Bulgaria at Somerset Park, Ayr, on 16th May; Italy at Fir Park, Motherwell, on the 18th; and Sweden at Cappielow Park, Greenock on the 20th.

prorege

Post by prorege » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:05 am

Ally Robertson played in all 3 group games, v Bulgaria (2-2), Italy (2-1) and Sweden (5-0), scoring against Sweden.

Annoyingly I don't have the line-ups for the Semi Final against Holland or the third-fourth place play off versus France.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:39 pm

Many thanks for the quick replies it is much appreciated. However, the answer has generated another question! J Brown (Aston Villa) who is in the squad is another player I am looking at but did not know until your reply that he had played or at least been selected at this level. I wonder if you can check if he played in any of the group games?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Gordon Baird wrote: Scotland played Bulgaria at Somerset Park, Ayr, on 16th May.
A very strange experience for me that day, cheering on the home team at Somerset Park.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:11 pm

prorege wrote:Ally Robertson played in all 3 group games, v Bulgaria (2-2), Italy (2-1) and Sweden (5-0), scoring against Sweden.

Annoyingly I don't have the line-ups for the Semi Final against Holland or the third-fourth place play off versus France.

You can find the line-up for the semi final against Holland in the Evening Times, 22 May pages 33 and 39 (this is actually the Evening Times 23 May) Johnny Rep played in the second half for v.d. Kerkhof (you can find this in the text op page 39 'Reb' ...', not in the line-up on page 33. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... page&hl=de

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks for everyone's help. I now know that Ally Robertson played in all five Scotland games in the tournament and Jimmy Brown played in the first four but was ruled out of the 3rd/4th place play-off game by injury.