Glasgow Charity Cup Semi-final 1926

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Shawfield Boy

Glasgow Charity Cup Semi-final 1926

Post by Shawfield Boy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:34 pm

I am trying to find out details (Clyde team, scorers etc) for the Glasgow Charity Cup semi-fianl at Hampden between Queens Park and Clyde on the 8 May 1926. I've got the score as 3-2 to QP, but don't have the half-time score either.

A lot of the newspapers I have looked at were affected by the General Strike, hence my difficulty.

Thanks in advance.

qpsnapper

Re: Glasgow Charity Cup Semi-final 1926

Post by qpsnapper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Struggling for information on this match as well, from the Scotsman I have the scorers for this game as McAlpine (2) & Nicholson for Queen's, with Kennedy and Crawford scoring for Clyde, and an approx crowd of 6,000.

No idea as to the half time score or the Clyde team I'm afraid.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:16 pm

I too am struggling to find the Third Lanark line up v Celtic on the same date. No mention of the match on celticfc.net or thecelticwiki.com.
I will need to dig a bit deeper next time I am at the Mitchell.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:45 pm

Problem is that all the Glasgow papers (Dailies Herald, Record, Bulletin & the Evenings News, Citizen & Times) from Wednesday May 5th combined into a four-page title 'Emergency Press.' These can be found in the Herald online edition of Tuesday May 4th which continues on with the special editions up to and including Friday May 14th. Friday 7th mentions the two Charity Cup games and confirms kick off times of 3pm but unfortunately the only edition of the Emergency Press missing is that of Monday May 10th - the day you'd expect to see reports if not line-ups. They may well have it in the Mitchell but under the title Emergency Press rather than any individual title.

The Herald online archive for May 1926 is all over the shop. The editions marked May 13th & 14th are actually 3rd and 4th and that of May 15th is actually May 24th. Normal service is resumed at May 17th.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks Guys. The next time I'm in the Mitchell I'll check the Rutherglen Reformer, although they do blow hot and cold when it comes to Clyde, seemingly preferring Glencairn to the Bully Wee.

Are there any other sources at the Mitchell I should think about (I've only used old newspapers so far)?

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:29 am

If anyone has the 'Men with the educated feet' book by Forrest Robertson, they could check if the Queen's Park line-up is available from 8th May 1926.
If so then there must be a source somewhere out there. Or perhaps Forrest could offer some advice directly?

The same would apply to the Celtic complete record by Paul Lunney, if anyone has it.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:51 am

No team in John Litster's Third Lanark book but Celtic scorers in a 2-0 victory were McInally, W McStay.

qpsnapper

Post by qpsnapper » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:44 am

Alan Brown wrote:If anyone has the 'Men with the educated feet' book by Forrest Robertson, they could check if the Queen's Park line-up is available from 8th May 1926.
If so then there must be a source somewhere out there. Or perhaps Forrest could offer some advice directly?

The same would apply to the Celtic complete record by Paul Lunney, if anyone has it.
The full QP line up for this match is in the Men With The Educated Feet.