2 Games at 1 Stadium on 1 Day

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
HibeeJibee

2 Games at 1 Stadium on 1 Day

Post by HibeeJibee » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:38 pm

Hampden will host both League Cup SFs a few hours apart next month.

How often has this happened before in Scottish football? Example would be the Olympics in 2012... Egypt-Honduras + Spain-Japan.

Only counting first-class games... i.e. not including youths, non-league or friendlies (including local cups played as mini-tournaments).

ScottishFA

Re: 2 Games at 1 Stadium on 1 Day

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:28 am

It's not common, but I can think of a few examples of double headers at club level, such as the Tennent Caledonian Cup at Ibrox and the Skol Festival Trophy in Edinburgh.

The Olympics in 2012 managed to fit in two double headers at Hampden within 24 hours! Two women's matches on Wednesday evening (USA v France at 5pm then Colombia v N Korea at 7.45pm, although it kicked off over an hour late) then two men's games on Thursday afternoon, Honduras v Morocco at noon followed by Spain v Japan at 2.45 pm.

None of these involved emptying the stadium between matches, though.

I'm pretty sure the stadium can cope (it's even got four full size dressing rooms, for example), and the police will plan accordingly, but there are going to be an awful lot of people working double shifts that day - stewards, catering, pubs, technicians, media, etc. People who work double shifts get tired and make mistakes, and that is where I see the potential risk.

I'd love to know what the 'contractual agreements' are that force both games to be at Hampden. 2012/13 Hearts played Inverness at Easter Road. The semis and final were also played elsewhere in 2014 but that was due to Commonwealth Games.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:22 am

An English example was Middlesbrough playing an evening match at Hartlepool's Victoria ground in August 1986 after Hartlepool United had played a league game there earlier in the afternoon. Middlesbrough had been narrowly saved from extinction but the keys to Ayresome Park had not been returned to the club as they had been locked out during their financial crisis.

sam peckinpah

Post by sam peckinpah » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:59 pm

The Lanarkshire Cup was played across a weekend for a few years in the late 70's / early 80's (semi-finals one day; third place & final the next). All four Lanarkshire grounds took a turn.

Murrayfield hosted rugby league's 'magic weekend' twice in recent years. Those involved three or four matches on both the Saturday and the Sunday. They possibly used this example when trying to convince the SFA it was time to move.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 am

As an aside, I was looking back at the bid for the ill-fated bid to stage Euro 2008 in Scotland and Ireland. The proposed timetable included two matches at Ibrox and Parkhead, on the same day, with simultaneous kick-offs (as it was the final group matches).

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:03 am

The Old Firm played a league fixtures noon September 1972 at Hampden as there was a fault in Celtics new 1year old stand that engineers were fixing and an hour after the game finished Queens Park played their 2nd division fixture. I can't remember who against. I raised this question a few years ago on this site asking if it was played at Lesser Hampden,but no it was played on the big ground.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Rob R wrote:The Old Firm played a league fixtures noon September 1972 at Hampden as there was a fault in Celtics new 1year old stand that engineers were fixing and an hour after the game finished Queens Park played their 2nd division fixture. I can't remember who against. I raised this question a few years ago on this site asking if it was played at Lesser Hampden,but no it was played on the big ground.
Great recall!

Apparently the match (and others) was switched to Hampden Park and a noon kick-off because of work associated with the press box at Celtic Park. However, improvements (concreting of staircases) at Hampden Park had been delayed by a builders' strike meaning that the East terracing was closed for the Old Firm match on 16 September 1972. The Evening Times shows "Queen’s Park v Stranraer” as an evening kick off.

Two weeks before on the 2 September I think it may have worked the other way around with Queen’s Park hosting East Stirlingshire in the afternoon and Celtic playing Kilmarnock in the evening.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 pm

The Celtic V Kilmarnock game as you say had an evening kick off, but the Queens Park V Stranraer game has a limited match report in the Evening Times sports edition so it must have been an earlier kick off than an evening one. My friend and I both playing juvenile football at the time, went to the noon kick off, got the train back from Mount Florida to the Central , jumped on a taxi to Victoria Park at Whiteinch dropped him off, carried on through the Clyde Tunnel to the 50 pitches on the other side of the tunnel just making it in time for both our kick offs. John Grieg played Celtic on his own that day and when he scored a late consolation goal Celtic fans even clapped him.