Ian St John

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
bluedragon

Ian St John

Post by bluedragon » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:46 pm

I was helping “Gabe” review some pages of the RSSSF Scotland pages. One thing led to another and I checked Ian St John’s birth record on the ScotlandsPeople website to find a record of John St John born in 1938 and registered in Dalziel. I contacted “J.S. Norway”, this forum’s Liverpool expert, to find by coincidence he had purchased the birth certificate a few weeks earlier to make the same discovery.

It is far from unusual to find people registered at birth as “John” being commonly known by the Gaelic form of “Ian”. What is unusual is that for such a famous player there is no mention in any of the books, records, etc. I have seen or more importantly “J.S. Norway” has seen. In most record books we see players with these names shown as, for example, John Miller (“Ian”) McColl.

ScottishFA

Re: Ian St John

Post by ScottishFA » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:21 pm

According to his autobiography he was called Ian as a boy, and certainly when he signed for Motherwell in 1957 he was known as Ian. However, when he got married the following year it was under his 'real' name of John.

J.S.Norway

Re: Ian St John

Post by J.S.Norway » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:11 pm

Ian Ross is named Ian Ross in registration. He is the only other Ian from Scotland in LFC playerlist during the years.