Hibernians

The place to discuss Scottish football
Rob

Hibernians

Post by Rob » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:09 pm

This has got me stumped.

I was looking through the maps on the national library web site and I found this. If you know Edinburgh you might be as confused as me. becuse if you pan left on the map you come to easter rd. It must be a mistake

http://www.nls.uk/lizardtech/iserv/geti ... 0&hei=500&

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:20 pm

How old is the map? Wasn't Hibs first ground called 'The Meadows?' That would fit in with your map.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:53 pm

Hibernians and Heart of Mid-Lothian played on the Meadows and East Meadows according to the SDA. Hibernians played at Hibernian Park prior to moving to the current location. According to Lugton this was in Bothwell Road close to the current ground.

I'm stumped too!
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:40 pm

Posted a message on Hibsnet

and got this reply
This was only a proposed site at Piershill whilst Hibs were at their 1st site and was as a result of the sloping pitch at the 1st ER, see 'The Hibees' John R MacKay. Apparantly Hibs were not allowed to make use of the land (Caledonian Rail I believe) and gave up the idea similar to the move to Aberdeen (1902) but I don't know which came first. Also believe Hearts had a similar proposal for Meggetsland in 1897 turned down by the same.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Rob

Post by Rob » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:56 pm

The map is from 1912..its a Bartholomew map. (an Edinburgh company)
It must be a mistake but if there is one kind of document you could always trust it is a map. The Meadows is nowhere near this location. you can find the Meadows on a modern map just look south of the castle and you will come to it. I found another map that shows this location titled football ground. no mention of Hibernians. Also on the map you can find Marine Gardens but no ground just the other buildings of the complex. and if you go north of Princes St you can find The Royal Gymnasium (St Bernards)

Rob

Post by Rob » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:06 pm

Another update The ground on a map dated 1919 shows the ground with the name Northfield. another interesting point of interest is Piershill Barracks where Meadowbank was built.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:08 pm

Rob wrote:. The Meadows is nowhere near this location.
Ah, I was thinking about Craigentinny Meadows on the map. It looked to this west coaster as if the ground on the map wasn't a million miles from Easter Road and that Hibs might have played there in the 1870s.

How as I to know there would be a place known as THE Meadows? I would have thought a big place like Embra would have had more than one :roll:

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:18 am

Talking of Edinburgh football grounds, I'm looking for pictures/maps/locations or anything connected to these 2 Junior grounds:

Bathgate Park (Edinburgh Emmet)
Woods Park (Portobello Thistle)

I understand Edinburgh Emmet were kicked out of Bathgate Park in the late 1920's as a bus station was being built on the site, and that ultimately lead to there demise of the club in 1930.

I dont know anything about Woods Park.

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:01 am

Here is a better map...but this map now gives another problem to the north you can find a sports ground next to Marine Gardens..now my first thought was it is the Marine Gardens ground, but it cant be, Marine Gardens was at the other end of the complex. (for those of you who dont know Marine Gardens was originally part of the Edinburgh Exhibition many years ago and was moved to this site after.) If you know Edinburgh its was where the bus station is. So could that be Woods Park?

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:02 am

sorry forgot to put the link to the map on

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_MAP/1_map ... .htm#start

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:57 pm

It could be Woods Park, but I have no idea as to the exact location.

I understand Bathgate Park was closer to the centre of Edinburgh.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:52 pm

It was as early as 1909 that Hibs sought to build the ground at Northfield because of uncertainty over their tenancy at Easter Road. John Mackay writes that 'plans were well advanced, on the most up-to-date lines to build a stadium to accommodate 50,000 spectators, when the North British Railway Company suddenly required the land to join two lines together, and obtained Parliamentary approval to ensure that Hibs had to abandon their ambitious project. In fact nothing much seemed to happen to the ground and a football pitch remained at the site for years, being used for minor finals and the like.'

This implies that the basic football ground at Northfield shown on the 1912, 1915 and 1919 maps may have been begun by Hibs before they were thwarted. So there was certainly a football ground there, it just wasn't Hibs' as labelled on the 1912 map.

The option of moving away from Easter Road was not entirely abandoned until 1923-24 when Hibs secured a 25 year lease and rebuilt the old stadium, moving the grandstand to the west side of the pitch and reducing the slope. Imagine what it was like before!

The 1925 stand and the slope both survived until the new West Stand was built in 2000.
Fraser

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:01 pm

Archie McDonald from Aberdeen decides to travel to see his tem play in Edinburgh. With him he takes his new map of Edinburgh with him and arrives at the ground. I must be first here he thinks. How angry would he have been. It must have happened (I remeber years ago being on a bus we were all going to watch East Stirling We were nearly in Stirling before someone said should we not be in Falkirk.

LLD

Post by LLD » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:46 am

Burnie_man wrote:It could be Woods Park, but I have no idea as to the exact location.

I understand Bathgate Park was closer to the centre of Edinburgh.
AFAIK, Bathgate Park occupied the site where the New Street bus garage was later built, basically immediately east of Waverley train station.

Henry Smith

Post by Henry Smith » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:58 pm

Sat31March1928 wrote:Posted a message on Hibsnet

and got this reply
This was only a proposed site at Piershill whilst Hibs were at their 1st site and was as a result of the sloping pitch at the 1st ER, see 'The Hibees' John R MacKay. Apparantly Hibs were not allowed to make use of the land (Caledonian Rail I believe) and gave up the idea similar to the move to Aberdeen (1902) but I don't know which came first. Also believe Hearts had a similar proposal for Meggetsland in 1897 turned down by the same.
Maybe I am misreading this but does this mean that Hibs were thinkning of moving to Aberdeen at one point?!
Henry Henry Henry Henry