Johnny Doyle - Ayr United

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
nightfire

Johnny Doyle - Ayr United

Post by nightfire » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:43 pm

Can anyone confirm that Doyle was sent off against Celtic whilst at Ayr United.

I seem to recall a possible off the ball incident with a Celtic player

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:30 pm

Johnny Doyle and red cards weren't exactly strangers. I think there was an altercation between Doyle and 'Dixie' Deans which resulted in his dismissal but can't pin down an exact date - must have been between 1971-1976, the seasons when Doyle was at Ayr and Deans at Celtic . He was certainly sent off at Somerset Park when playing FOR Celtic v Ayr United in a league game in August 1977

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:35 am

Doyle`s dismissal vs. Ayr was, I think, as a result of a pinpoint cross hitting the referee on the head & the offical taking it as a deliberate attack!

fatbhoy

Re: Johnny Doyle - Ayr United

Post by fatbhoy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:03 pm

nightfire wrote:Can anyone confirm that Doyle was sent off against Celtic whilst at Ayr United.

I seem to recall a possible off the ball incident with a Celtic player
Yep - he was sent off for punching Andy Lynch at Celtic Park, 1 of 4 red cards as an Ayr Utd player. One of them was for throwing his chewing gum at a linesman.

In 1977 he was sent off at Somerset Park playing for Celtic after accidentally knocking the referee over with a cross ball. Footage of the incident is hilarious, red card subsequently was rescinded.

The Celtic supporters group The Jungle Bhoys produced a memorial fanzine last year to commemorate the 25th anniversary of JD's death:
http://www.thejunglebhoys.net/merchandise.html