The Tartan Tube

The place to discuss Scottish football
Lisbon67

Post by Lisbon67 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:34 pm

I hope Alex Salmond keeps speaking out about this. The more time he spends on things he knows nothing about and can do nothing about then the less time he spends fecking up the country.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:33 am

Burnie_man wrote:Does that make Salmond wrong, or does it make the politicians in Wales and N.Ireland wrong? Depends which way you look at it I suppose.
Let's see. Five political parties in the Scottish Parliament. Four in the Welsh Assembly. At least another five in Northern Ireland. At least eight at Westminster. Only one party leader is sounding off. Theoretically I suppose everybody could be out of step except Eck. But theoretically Killie can still claim a place in Europe.

BBC Scotland could be the richest organisation on the planet and able to outbid Setanta and Sky seven days a week. It still wouldn't be Alex Salmond's job to tell them what programmes to show. And it still wouldn't be his job to tell the SFA which TV channels to sell their programmes to.

That's the bottom line.

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:03 am

Margo MacDonald in the Sunday Post (I'm waiting for them to bring back Merry Mac's Sunday laugh-in) proposes that Alex Salmond is correct but that 'no government can dictate to broadcasters what they broadcast and that's a good thing'. So, again, I'm left wondering what precisely she wants.

There's clearly some itching here for BBC Scotland to get more money - though, as I've said, the amount involved is going to be relatively small - but I'm wondering overall what the strategy is. Was Salmond really just floating what he thought would be a popular idea? Or is there some other motive behind his desire to get BBC Scotland more money (he also wants a 'Scottish Six' as if having one hour of news between 6pm and 7pm isn't enough)? We'll never know, I suppose.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:33 am

scottish wrote:
Burnie_man wrote:Does that make Salmond wrong, or does it make the politicians in Wales and N.Ireland wrong? Depends which way you look at it I suppose.
Let's see. Five political parties in the Scottish Parliament. Four in the Welsh Assembly. At least another five in Northern Ireland. At least eight at Westminster. Only one party leader is sounding off. Theoretically I suppose everybody could be out of step except Eck. But theoretically Killie can still claim a place in Europe.

BBC Scotland could be the richest organisation on the planet and able to outbid Setanta and Sky seven days a week. It still wouldn't be Alex Salmond's job to tell them what programmes to show. And it still wouldn't be his job to tell the SFA which TV channels to sell their programmes to.

That's the bottom line.
As I said, he has a lot of people talking about it and, in my opinion, that's the bottom line - it is also a good thing.

Let's see what sort of bid BBC Scotland put together in 2010.

lbb, here's what Margo McDonald wrote in full:

Alex Salmond talked the talk, and meant it, when he said that Scotland’s World Cup qualifying matches should be shown on terrestrial TV. He’s 100 per cent correct and his words left listeners in no doubt of his true feelings. He’s supported in this by footie fans in all parties and he can talk — but he can’t walk.

Politicians in the UK have little power to require broadcasters to screen any programmes and that’s no bad thing. But broadcasting licences and the BBC’s charter do require some public interest programming.

Scotland’s World Cup games are in this category and a government worth the name would knock heads together to get these matches on screen

Unfortunately, Westminster has power over broadcasting, not Holyrood . . . and the sound of silence from Scottish MPs is deafening.

lbb

Post by lbb » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:53 am

Burnie_man wrote: lbb, here's what Margo McDonald wrote in full:
I don't think I misrepresented her position. This is the bit I don't understand -
Burnie_man wrote:
Scotland’s World Cup games are in this category and a government worth the name would knock heads together to get these matches on screen
I just don't know what this means. 'Knock some heads together' sounds like a substitute for stating any specific idea or plan, (cf. 'let's roll our sleeves up and get on with it.') If she's saying that she thinks Scotland games should be 'protected' and awarded to the BBC by default without any competitive process and at the expense of at least two commerical companies then she should at least have the courage to say so, I think. I disagree with her but she should say it.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:19 pm

I guess what she is trying to say is that by "knocking heads" it may stimulate BBC Scotland, or the BBC as a whole, into actually tabling a competitive bid come the next bidding process. I hope STV are also taking note as their attitude is frankly shocking.

Scotland games will never be protected, an article in yesterdays Herald points out the pitfalls such as Sky/Setanta taking legal action if that was ever proposed, plus the small matter of the SFA being dead against it (and rightly so).

However, for STV not to even bother their backside, and for the BBC to table "token" bids the last time the contract was on offer, is a matter which should be highlighted. That's not to mention their total inactivity when it came to securing live away coverage of the coming campaign.

I have Sky, I also have Setanta, as does my local pub, but more households in Scotland don't have these channels than do (relatively few in Setanta's case) and not everyone can go to the pub, or the game itself.

Sure, in the old days you were brought up on live radio coverage and highlights of the game at night if you were lucky, but the world has moved on and it would be good to see our terrestrial channels take the matter of screening live Scotland games a bit more seriously, particularly our public service broadcaster.

If it takes the First Minister to stimulate the debate, so be it.

Lisbon67

Post by Lisbon67 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:28 pm

Burnie_man wrote: If it takes the First Minister to stimulate the debate, so be it.
Have you got a poster of this guy on your bedroom wall? There's been a debate about televised fitba going on since wee Eck was in short troosers.

Mind you him and Big Margo are great adverts for couch potato tv sport

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:37 am

Lisbon67 wrote:
Burnie_man wrote: If it takes the First Minister to stimulate the debate, so be it.
Have you got a poster of this guy on your bedroom wall? There's been a debate about televised fitba going on since wee Eck was in short troosers.

Mind you him and Big Margo are great adverts for couch potato tv sport
Obviously you cannot see past who is First Minister in order to contribute constructively to the debate.

My opinion would be the same whether it was Alex Salmond, Wendy Alexander, Nicol Stephen or anyone else highlighting it.