GLASGOW CELTIC

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
whitedevil

GLASGOW CELTIC

Post by whitedevil » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:05 pm

I AM WRITING A GLASGOW CELTIC MISCELLANY BOOK AND I AM LOOKING FOR INTERESTING BITS OF MATERIAL FOR MY BOOK THAT REAL DYE-IN-THE-WOOL CELTIC FANS WILL KNOW.

IDEALLY I AM AFTER THINGS LIKE: TRIVIA, UNUSUAL EVENTS, STRANGE HAPPENINGS, CLUB RECORDS, GIANT KILLING REVERSALS, SENDINGS OFF, 10-MEN VICTORIES (OR 9-MEN WINS), MANAGERS TRIVIA/FACTS/FIGURES. MATERIAL CONCERNING PLAYERS IS ALSO VERY WELCOME - MOST GOALS, APPEARANCES, RED CARDS, INTERNATIONAL CAPS, TRANSFER DEALS, OLD FIRM TRIVIA ETC, ETC.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING, I WOULD BE DELIGHTED TO HEAR FROM YOU.

HERE IS A SAMPLE:
DALGLISH HOLDS CONSECUTIVE APPEARANCE RECORD[/b]
Kenny Dalglish holds the record for the most number of consecutive appearances for Scotland with 43. The sequence began on 8th May 1976 with a 3-0 home win over Northern Ireland and ended on 25th February 1981 with a 1-0 away win in Israel.
DID YOU KNOW?
Tom Boyd lies in second place with 38 consecutive appearances between 16th August 1995 and 9th June 1999.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:13 pm

Did you know that if it had not been for Hibs, Celtic would never have existed?

So it's all our fault.
It's the Hope I can't stand

whitedevil

GLASGOW CELTIC

Post by whitedevil » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:44 am

I KNEW THAT CELTIC COPIED THE HIBS IDEA - ANY MORE INFO ON THIS?

the hibLOG

Re: GLASGOW CELTIC

Post by the hibLOG » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:37 am

whitedevil wrote:I KNEW THAT CELTIC COPIED THE HIBS IDEA - ANY MORE INFO ON THIS?

Mmmm. You really want to hear all this?

Bobby, after you old chap. :D
Fraser

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:11 pm

Seems Bobby's too busy fixing his website to answer, so I'll have to fill in.

You'll know the bit about Hibs being founded by Irish immigrants in Edinburgh and then playing benefit matches in Glasgow, inspiring the Glasgow Irish to found Celtic along the same ideological lines.

There's a song which both teams' fans sing which goes 'If you know your history...' but the next bit of history tends to be glossed over by a large number of Celtic fans. It goes: Hibs were at the time (1886) one of the best teams in Scotland and the founders of Celtic offered 'inducements' to many of Hibs' best players (8 or 9 of them I think) to come and play for them. These inducements (financial incentives by any other name) included the tenancies of lucrative Glasgow public houses, and were blatant circumventions of the amateur code which prevailed at the time.

Hibs consequently declined in power to such a dramatic extent that the club went out of business by the end of the season, having to be re-founded the following year. You'll forgive us therefore if we don't often warm to the patronising 'soft spot' that some Celtic fans profess for Hibs as a result of our shared origins.

Celtic also stole our strip, Hibs having first played in green and white hoops prior to their re-foundation in the late 1880s.

[/img]
Fraser

Ramalhete

Post by Ramalhete » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:39 am

When Celtic was founded? I've read in several websites including Celtic official one that the club was founded in a meeting held in St Mary's Church Hall at 6/11/1887. In Other websites (www.scottishleague.net and even in the club badge) it is 1888?

What's real 1887 or 1888?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:55 am

What's real 1887 or 1888?
Both. You are right about the meeting founding the club on 6/11/1887. But their first game wasn't until May 28th 1888.

Usually at that time a club would be founded by players kicking a ball about and if successful enough they would go on to build or lease a suitable ground. Celtic did it the other way round, establishing the club and building a ground before kicking a ball.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:06 pm

Fraser, I think you were being too charitable on Celtic 8)

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:52 am

bobby s wrote:Fraser, I think you were being too charitable on Celtic 8)
Always at pains to avoid offending any lying thieving thatcher Bobby.

Hmm, are we allowed to say thatcher on this board then?
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:02 am

The singular was always banned but the plural had slipped through. Sorted now. There aren't a great deal of banned words on here (they're in single figures), but the way these boards work is that kids can sign up without parental approval so I've taken out some of the most offensive words.

I don't have a hang-up about swearing as such. We all do it. What's more important is what is MEANT rather than what is WRITTEN. By banning a few words the intention is to stop gratuitous swearing. Anyone wanting to put in a few wee swearie words to colour their contributions can easily do so by adopting Father Ted-speak.

But that means THINKING about what's being said as opposed to simple abuse.

Something I hope you procreative act thatcher Hibby delightful female organ understand :D

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:34 am

scottish wrote:But that means THINKING about what's being said as opposed to simple abuse.

Something I hope you procreative act thatcher Hibby delightful female organ understand :D
That reminds me of the Pat Partidge story?

A player who, thinking he had been badly treated by a ref, asked the official if it was all right to call him a thatcher. "No," said the ref. "Well, what if I just thought you were one," came the reply. "That's all right," said the ref. "Well then, I think you're a thatcher," said the player.

Apparently, the referee at the 1878 FA Cup final really was a Mr thatcher. I never knew that. Well, until I did.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:59 am

An old mate of mine - sadly gone now- was one of those guys whose every second word was effing and blinding. He was also a pretty well-read guy so he decided to have a crack at '15-1.'

The day dawns when he's on the show and a crowd of his mates are sitting watching it in stupefied disbelief as he doesn't even attempt to answer the first two questions and is knocked out straight away.

Turns out he's tried to answer along the lines of "Aye, I procreative act know that one. What's the delightful female organ's name again. It's on the tip of my procreative act tongue. thatcher! excrement! I can't procreative act think straight."

All of which was edited out of course, making one of the biggest motormouths in the country look like a Trappist monk.

As for referees, surely the best name was that of the old Scottish referee Charlie FAULTLESS

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:22 pm

Once in my playing days down here in the Steve Jason Concert Travel Cambridgeshire League Division 4B we were getting ready before a game when the ref came in to our changing room introduce himself.

'You were probably expecting Mr Johnson today but he's been taken ill so I'm here instead, he said. 'Just so you know what to call me I'm Mr Barker.'

'Oh, so not delightful female organ then?' pipes up one of our players. Laughs all round fortunately, rather than him becoming the first player to be red-carded before he'd even got his boots on.

'Oh I remember you,' says another player, 'You reffed us up at Sutton and you got your wallet nicked.'

'That's right.'

'D'you want it back then?'...
Fraser

whitedevil

GLASGOW CELTIC

Post by whitedevil » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:26 pm

Fraser

Many thanks.

John
the hibLOG wrote:Seems Bobby's too busy fixing his website to answer, so I'll have to fill in.

You'll know the bit about Hibs being founded by Irish immigrants in Edinburgh and then playing benefit matches in Glasgow, inspiring the Glasgow Irish to found Celtic along the same ideological lines.

There's a song which both teams' fans sing which goes 'If you know your history...' but the next bit of history tends to be glossed over by a large number of Celtic fans. It goes: Hibs were at the time (1886) one of the best teams in Scotland and the founders of Celtic offered 'inducements' to many of Hibs' best players (8 or 9 of them I think) to come and play for them. These inducements (financial incentives by any other name) included the tenancies of lucrative Glasgow public houses, and were blatant circumventions of the amateur code which prevailed at the time.

Hibs consequently declined in power to such a dramatic extent that the club went out of business by the end of the season, having to be re-founded the following year. You'll forgive us therefore if we don't often warm to the patronising 'soft spot' that some Celtic fans profess for Hibs as a result of our shared origins.

Celtic also stole our strip, Hibs having first played in green and white hoops prior to their re-foundation in the late 1880s.

[/img]