McGrory beats McColl, Brown, Gilmour and McBain

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Gunboat Briggs

Post by Gunboat Briggs » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:52 pm

scottish wrote:There was certainly a McBain playing for St Johnstone during the seasons mentioned and it wasn't Neil as he remained in English football as a player until 1931 and as a manager from 1929 onwards. But if it was Laurie McBain then he must have changed positions as from towards the end of the 1929-30 season he appears as a half-back not a forward.
Looks like this was the case, he was playing left half for United, certainly on the day he suffered his broken leg at least. This was a bizarre match at Tannadice in December 1933, with the biggest attendance of the season (7,300) turning up for a derby against promotion-chasing Arbroath. United at one stage had only 9 men following McBain's accident and an injury to debutant Bobby Gardiner, although he later returned to the field. The visitors led 4-1 early in the second half, but United fought back to 4-3. That was how it stood after 78 minutes when the referee, who evidently had failed to master the tricky art of telling the time, signalled the match was finished and headed off the pitch!

Cue uproar on the terraces, and a linesman having to pursue the whistler and gently persuade him to return and play the traditional number of minutes. Once sanity was restored Gardiner went on to equalise for a 4-4 result.

Refereeing standards were so much higher in the olden days, weren't they?

bonxie

Post by bonxie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:18 pm

[quote="LEATHERSTOCKING"]Regarding names of other big scorers, can anyone supply the 1st name or even initial of the following:
Robertson & Munro of Arbroath in the famous 36-0 win over Bon Accord in 1885 & McGirl of Dundee Harp in the 35-0 win over Aberdeen Rovers the same day.

Fraser Clyne's 36-0 article does not list these players:

"The goalkeeper was Jim Milne senior, also known as “auld Milne”, or “the eagle-eyed man between the sticks” as he was once described. There was so little for Milne to do on that rainy day that he borrowed an umbrella from a friend in the crowd. to keep dry. Bill Collie and Tom Salmond were the full backs, while Hen Rennie, Jim Milne junior and Dyken Bruce (scorer of the Lichties first ever goal in 1878) made up the half back line. Young Milne was particularly noted for his heading ability and it was said that “he could at any time head a ball as far as any football players could kick it”. Petrie, one of many Arbroath players who joined the club from local rivals Strathmore, tormented the Aberdonians down the right wing, while Johnny Tackett, Jim Marshall, David Crawford and Jim Buick were the other forwards."

Apart from Petire's 13, who did score the goals?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:55 pm

bonxie wrote:Apart from Petire's 13, who did score the goals?
I'm very hesitant to differ from Fraser Clyne on Arbroath matters but I have a different line-up and formation. According to my records there were only two half-backs and six forwards. I do have Robertson and Munro in the side but I don't have Bruce or Buick playing. I've also seen conflicting accounts as to whether the opening goal was scored by Petrie or Crawford.

My record of the scorers that all six forwards scored - Petrie 13, Munro 7, Crawford 6, Robertson 6, Marshall 2, Tackett 2

Dundee Harp held the record briefly as their match kicked off at 3.25 and Arbroath's at 3.30.

The first ever SFA annual was published the same day.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:27 am

My line up, formation & scorers are as per David`s - same source?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:07 pm

Mine are from a book of mine from 1995. On the page in question I cite the Arbroath Guide, Arbroath Herald and Scottish Umpire though I'll have looked at others as well.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:08 pm

I think I got my information from the Courier back in the 80s but as the 80s are now a distant blur I can`t be certain.

NiallFH

Re: McGrory beats McColl, Brown, Gilmour and McBain

Post by NiallFH » Sun May 26, 2013 6:56 pm

Niall Harkiss from Arab Archive here.

I have some more info on Laurie McBain.

According to the statutory birth register for the St Andrew district of Dundee, Lawrence Durkie McBain was born on December 7, 1907. His death was the result of tuberculosis, September 20, 1937.

He played his last game on December 16, 1933, for Dundee United vs. Arbroath, coming off after an hour with a broken leg. He had been United's captain that season.

Below is a photo from the game, as McBain is carried off on a stretcher.

Shawfield Boy

Re: McGrory beats McColl, Brown, Gilmour and McBain

Post by Shawfield Boy » Sun May 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Cowdenbeather,

I expect your list doesn't take wartime matches into account, and that's why Leslie Johnston's six for Clyde against Dumbarton (7-1) on the 2nd of January 1945 isn't listed. Incidentally his brother George scored the seventh goal.

Cheers