Scotsman Digital Archive

The place to discuss Scottish football

Scotsman Digital Archive

Postby Alan Brown » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:05 pm

I was wondering how many members of this forum have access to the SDA. I have been thinking that it would be a good idea to compile some sort of index for the football content from the Scotsman between 1872-1950. This would save a lot of tedious serching through the archive. Let me know what you think.
Alan Brown

Postby Sat31March1928 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:35 am

Whilst not an index. This has got every Hearts, Hibs, Scotland, SFL, Cup Final games I could find plus lots more.

http://www.londonhearts.com/hidden.htm
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson
Sat31March1928

Re: Scotsman Digital Archive

Postby Scottish » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:24 am

Alan Brown wrote:I was wondering how many members of this forum have access to the SDA. I have been thinking that it would be a good idea to compile some sort of index for the football content from the Scotsman between 1872-1950. This would save a lot of tedious serching through the archive. Let me know what you think.

I don't have the SDA but I do have a lot of 19th century Herald stuff. Unfortunately the files are far too big to put online (780mb) and will all have to be reduced individually from their default .png to .jpg and extraneous material cut. How long this will take I have no idea. For me it was more important to get the files en masse rather than catalogue or index them as I went along so they are in date order only rather than event/club.

I also have around 40mb of 19th century material from The Times.

I'm happy to post details here or e-mail copies of stuff but indexing is some way off.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby nightfire » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:15 pm

I have access to the SDA. I also have access to the Herald Archive although that will end soon when they realise my daughter has graduated.

I'm running out of time on the Herald Archive but I'm trying to save a Match Report for all Celtic games with particular focus on Friendly Matches as they are not reported anywhere else.

A database of Celtic results (and associated detail) in all competitions and known Friendly Matches will hopefully appear sometime in the near future.
nightfire

Postby Scottish » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:05 am

Davy at London Hearts has kindly offered to convert my material to a more manageable size so I'm sending him just short of 4,000 files on 19th century football and eventually they will appear on London Hearts.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Alan Brown » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:00 pm

Where can I find details about the Glasgow Herald archive? Is it only available to students?
Alan Brown

Postby The Mighty Atom » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:06 pm

Alan Brown wrote:Where can I find details about the Glasgow Herald archive? Is it only available to students?

I think it's only available free to students (eh nightfire??? :wink: ) but not sure how to access it otherwise. Would be great to get access to the old reports - bring it on!
The Mighty Atom

Postby Alan Brown » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks for that. The Glasgow Herald would certainly be far superior to the SDA for match line-ups etc. and would save me endless trips to the Mitchell Library!
Alan Brown

Postby The Mighty Atom » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:13 am

Anything has to be better than that fecking microfiche!!!
The Mighty Atom

Postby Scottish » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:18 am

It's part of an academic network of information exchange. The resources available vary depending on what the particular academic institution signs up to. Access is via user name and password given by the academic institution. AFAIK any such academic body is eligible for access, meaning part-time students enrolled for a one night per week course have just as much chance of using it as full-time academics - it really does depend on the institution.

For example I know one postgraduate student who has access to the Herald but not The Scotsman. No doubt there are others where the reverse is true.

So, technically speaking, access is restricted to students but should you happen to know any particular student's log-in and password then.......

There's a full list of what's available here
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby nightfire » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:21 pm

The Mighty Atom wrote:
Alan Brown wrote:Where can I find details about the Glasgow Herald archive? Is it only available to students?

I think it's only available free to students (eh nightfire??? :wink: ) but not sure how to access it otherwise. Would be great to get access to the old reports - bring it on!

The Herald has been a great help to me when researching Celtic's Friendly Matches from 1888 to 1900. I may need to find another relative who has a kid at uni 8)
nightfire

Postby Sat31March1928 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:12 am

scottish wrote:Davy at London Hearts has kindly offered to convert my material to a more manageable size so I'm sending him just short of 4,000 files on 19th century football and eventually they will appear on London Hearts.

I've started tying the reports back to the games.

I've got 3 sources of my game so I've put together examples from

League Games
Scottish Cup Games
'Ad-Hoc' games including Internationals

I've put together a 'test page' here

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/imag ... games.html

Once I get more games linked I'll break them down by 'team' and 'year'.
Sat31March1928

Postby Alan McCabe » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Great work on the London Hearts site!
I've gone for a somewhat inverse of that as I attempt to collate all the scores and occasional details from the contests that The Scotsman tends to slot under 'Other matches' or 'Ordinary games'.
I've got almost all of the results from the 19th century games now logged without worrying about the Scottish League, Scottish Cup & Qualifying Cup records, these all already attainable from alternative sources.
I've coincidently attempted to list the 'Junior' clubs listed for each of the seasons but its difficult to clarify exactly what level some outfits operated at in the early years (pre JFA formation) as well as trying to differentiate between juniors and juvenile sides in later years.
Alan McCabe

Postby honestman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:56 pm

Like Alan McCabe I have also been collating senior results for games outwith the Scottish League, Scottish Cup and Scottish Qualifying Cup. I am working on the period 1900 - 1914. This includes local cup competitions, friendly games etc.
honestman

Postby Sat31March1928 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:03 pm

Sat31March1928

Next

Return to Scottish Football