Ian Young

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

Ian Young

Postby Insertnamehere » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Does anyone have any information on Ian Young who played for Celtic in the 60's and then went on to St Mirren?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Robert
Insertnamehere

Postby Scottish » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:32 pm

According to Litster he was born 21/05/1943 and joined Celtic in the close season of 1961 from either Neilston Waverley or Neilston. I presume this WASN'T Neilston Juniors. He made his debut in 1962-63 and was a regular at right-back in the two following seasons before being supplanted by Jim Craig during 1965-66.

During this time he played in the side which won the Scottish Cup for the first time in eleven years in 1965. He also gained his only representative honour that year when he played for the Scotland U-23 side in a 0-0 draw v England U-23 at Pittodrie.

He played 16 league games in 1965-66 and as only twelve players made more appearances my assumption is that he won a title medal that season. He also won a League Cup winner's medal that term when Celtic won the first of five successive triumphs in that competition. He had played in the losing final the year before.

Young scarcely featured over the next two seasons and he was freed by Celtic at the end of 1967-68. He joined St Mirren and made just under thirty appearances in first class competitions over the next two years. After that he doesn't appear at all - in the senior ranks at any rate.

In total he made 161 appearances at senior level - 108 league (84 Celtic, 24 St Mirren including two as a sub), 15 Scottish Cup (13 Celtic, 2 St Mirren), 23 League Cup (21 Celtic, 2 St Mirren) and 15 in Europe (all Celtic). He scored just three times in total, all in 1965-66.

His first goal was against Dundee United in the opening game of the league season in a 4-0 win on August 25th 1965. His second came against the same opponents just three days later but in a different competition - the League Cup - and a different ground - Parkhead in a 3-0 victory. His third and final goal was also his second in successive league games (in those days the league opener was played midweek while the League Cup was still in progress and the second match not until more than two weeks later) when he netted in a 2-1 win over Clyde at home on September 11th.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Insertnamehere » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:18 am

Superb stuff, thanks........... as for the Neilston connection im sure it was Waveryly and the juniors werent formed until 1954. I am better at my junior stats.

Thanks again.
Insertnamehere

Return to SFAQS