Down the Wing

The place to discuss Scottish football
Tom Brogan

Down the Wing

Post by Tom Brogan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:26 pm

I’m attempting to go to at least 50 games at all levels of football this season. As such I’ve set up a wee website to chronicle my attempts. Please feel free to have a look and comment.

Cheers

http://www.downthewing.wordpress.com

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:53 pm

Good stuff. I know you said it was your first visit to Portland Park but let me assure you the language doesn't get any better as the season progresses. Nor does the weather. That's a fairly typical August day, in fact a bit drier than most.

If you ever go back and the club is still too busy and the bogs still too manky then try the 86 club just outside the ground. Okay, it's got a lot of weird symbols over the door but funny handshakes aren't compulsory to gain admission. A lot of fans go there before and after (and some even during and at half-time) the match.

Only sixty at the game? A far cry from the 900 that saw a Junior Cup game a few years back. Troon rely on disgruntled Killie & Ayr fans and with both senior sides going well at the moment that has an effect at Portland Park.

Good luck with the rest of the season.

Tom Brogan

Post by Tom Brogan » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:13 pm

I'll bear the 86 Club in mind for next time.

It was a good game though and obviously, from what I saw anyway, you can take a carry-out in.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:57 pm

If you do go then say hello from me to Big Wullie behind the bar.

Tom Brogan

Post by Tom Brogan » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:20 pm

I was up at Fort William yesterday to take in their game against Deveronvale. Now, you may all be aware of the America's Team project that Fort seem to have got themselves involved in. I wonder though if you've seen the promotional video the company behind it have put together.

I've embedded it into my post about the game. I found it quite offensive as it goes out of its way to portray Fort William as a laughing stock. I don't deny it's funny though.

http://downthewing.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... veronvale/

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:01 pm

I watched open - mouthed, thinking this has to be a sketch for 'No Signal' (along the lines of 'America's Next Serial Killer'} but no, it's apparently serious. Had a look at their website where they claim that for $69 a year (and $49 per annum thereafter) you can buy "a piece of a REAL European Senior League Team!" Which, while technically correct, isn't exactly telling people who don't know the score exactly where Fort William's place in the food chain is.

They also claim the endorsement of "John McGinlay, former Bolton Wanderers superstar striker" Methinks there may be one word too many there. Interestingly enough there's no direct quote attributable to McGinlay that I can find.

Why do I have a feeling that a sweep on when the project goes tits up is likely to produce more cash than this venture?

It's also difficult to find out information on 'media veteran' Paul McDonald as the site describes him. There are fourteen Paul McDonalds or MacDonalds on IMDB, only two of whom are recorded as a director or producer. One is the producer of an American documentary on Macedonian gypsies and the other is producer, director, writer, editor and composer of a UK nine-minute short.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:16 pm

Apparently Mr McDonald left Fort William for Ayrshire today according to his website's calendar which promises all the latest information on photo-shoots etc. Oddly enough all that's on the calendar are the dates of two Fort William games in March and his visit from last Thursday to today. That's all that's happening so far - for the whole of 2009.

He'd better get a move on as BBC Alba have commissioned a documentary for broadcast in September.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Sorry to detract from your year-long odyssey (can an odyssey last just one year?) around the grounds but this business just gets better. 'Media veteran' Mr McDonald's website was only registered in June last year for a period of two years and his e-mail contact is a Yahoo address. The Americas Team FC website was registered in March 2008 also for a period of just two years.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:10 pm

I stayed in Fort WIlliam myself, from school holidays from 5 till 16 then summer long jaunts and yes I played shinty. In Fort WIlliam as soon as you are big enough to walk you get a cut down stick, after school kids go for a hit about as opposed to a kick about. Yes there were a few footballer players when I stayed there but they mainly only plaid in the summer during the shinty off season.

The park in the pictures used to be the shinty park before the local council built them a new one right in the town centre and gave the footballers the old one. I watched Fort WIlliam play a few times 25 years ago, god im getting old, and they actually had some decent players at the time. Duncan Shearers two brothers played for them, his older one actually looking as if he had far more ability than the Scottish cap himself. The problem was along with the added ability he also had a larger waistline, love of take away, wild women, week long parties etc. Lets put it this way if Midge Shearer had been at Cameron House last week he would be gettng his second breath by now.

PS Tom I have thoughougly enjoyed reading the entries, are there plans to publish it once your finished?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:42 pm

Insertnamehere wrote: Duncan Shearers two brothers played for them, his older one actually looking as if he had far more ability than the Scottish cap himself.
If the older one was David Shearer then that's not too surprising as he scored more top flight goals in England than Duncan did.

Tom Brogan

Post by Tom Brogan » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:57 pm

David - I'm glad someone is as appalled by it as me. It looks more like he's setting up a boiler room than a football team. I've put a few links on my post to articles on MacDonald and his plan. It's a nonsense idea that appears to be just another scheme to make money out of the internet. It's unbelievable that Fort William give the guy the time of day while he's got that nonsense online rubbishing them.

Robert - Didn't know that about Claggan Park, that it was a hand-me-down. There's a cutting framed on the wall of the social club of Duncan Shearer and one of his brothers. Glad you're enjoying reading the site. I'd love to have it published once the season is done. It might be a bit too random however and I don't think I've travelled wide enough, most of the games I've been to have been in the Central Belt. Next season I'll try to cover more of the country.

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:16 am

scottish wrote:
Insertnamehere wrote: Duncan Shearers two brothers played for them, his older one actually looking as if he had far more ability than the Scottish cap himself.
If the older one was David Shearer then that's not too surprising as he scored more top flight goals in England than Duncan did.
That was him, I was "young" at the time and knew he had come back to the Fort from down south and had played but didnt know wat what level. Only reading this yesterday did I remember about him. One game stands out when he came on as s ub, he was huge and no wherenear fit, ball crossed scisor kick into the roof of the net then went off again about five minutes later. He did show a good turn of pace though, first to the bar :)

Tom Brogan

Post by Tom Brogan » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:11 pm

Paul McDonald himself has written a response to my post. Not actually argued any of the points I've made, but he's attempted to defend his project.

http://downthewing.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... veronvale/