Different grades of Juvenile football

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
LLD

Different grades of Juvenile football

Post by LLD » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:10 pm

Does anyone have a definitive answer on where the various grades of Juvenile football, as they were, began and ended?

I've pretty much sussed that Underage refers to players under the age of 18, but the difference between First Class and Secondary don't appear as obvious?

Did this refer to the quality of player, or their age?

kiwiscot

Juvenile football

Post by kiwiscot » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:12 pm

My understanding of the Juvenile game was , senior, under 27 year old and Secondary Juvenile, under 21 year old. The reason given for under 27 was to keep a fairly high standard of play, this was in the days you were thought of as finished at 30. I used to love watching and playing in the old summer tournaments that the junior clubs had on their grounds,Perthshire and St Rochs were to name two, who had these tournaments. They continued from the war but faded out in the late 1970s and were considered a must for junior scouts to pick up players for the coming Junior season.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:05 pm

This was my posting on a similar request.

The term Secondary Juveniles was coined during the game's early years, and was used to differentiate between the competitions that the first class juveniles, who were governed by the national Juvenile FA, and the second class clubs who were by and large unregulated. Age limits in the Secondary ranks tended to be liberal and more and more of an Eastern stronghold. The first class clubs were dominated by and large by the West coast clubs.
Order was established in 1921 by the formation of the Scottish Secondary Juvenile FA. The initial age limit was set at 21, but soon rose to 27. The first Secondary Juvenile Cup was played for in 1922-23 and was also won by an Edinburgh club - Broughton Rangers.

The two grades flourished and for many years the two Cup finals were pretty prestigious affairs but by the 1960s a decline had set in. By the 1970s the SJFA was in dwindling in both scope and importance, although it did remain strong in Tayside.

The last 'major' SJFA Cup was played in 1991, but both the competitions and the SJFA continued to a greatly lesser extent, being based in Perth and administering competitions from U-11s to U-18s.

The SSJFA was renamed the Association of Scottish Youth Football Clubs in 1985, and their Cup winners were hailed either the Scottish Youth Cup or Scottish U-21 Cup winners.

In 1999 the SJFA merged with the ASYFC and the youth division of the Scottish Amateur FA to create the Scottish Youth FA.

LLD

Post by LLD » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks. Was their an age limit for first class juveniles? 21?

wilson

Post by wilson » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:27 am

First Class juvenile had an age limit of 27.

Towards the late 70's probably 1978 or 1979 when they were losing teams and even whole leagues it was proposed that the age limit was raised to 30 or even removed altogether.

However I don't know if this was ever adopted.