Scottish Pub in Barcelona

The place to recommend (or otherwise) football or football-related TV programmes, DVDs, Videos and Movies.

Also to let users know about upcoming programmes in your part of the world.

Scottish Pub in Barcelona

Postby scottish » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:02 am

Apologies for the delay in posting this. The CLANSMAN in Barcelona shows SPL & Scotland matches in preference to anything else. I think this is unique in the city where even most of the Irish and "Irish" (you know the difference) bars will show or switch to English Premiership/England games if there is a kick-off clash/overlap.

All the staff speak both English & Spanish and have a bit of Catalan as well. It's more of a local residents/workers bar than a tourist pub despite the fact that it's only a decent free kick away from the Picasso Museum.

The address is 13 Vigatans, just off the Via Laietana. Buses 17,19, 40 & 45 go down Laietana and the Jaume I metro station (Line 4) is also near. It's a ten-minute walk from the Place Catalunya.

One slight disappointment. Prices are more Barrhead than Barcelona.

scottish
Site Admin

Postby scottish » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:36 pm

This place is now shut - as I found out when trying to watch the Hearts-Hibs cup semi.

I eventually managed to catch the second half in an "Irish" bar which had the grand total of two jambos in it. And it was only on there because there were no English games conflicting. I don't know if any other Barca boozer has been designated as the "Scottish" pub but I couldn't find one showing Killie v Celtic. All the "Irish" bars were showing Liverpool v Bolton.

So I did the sensible thing and watched the Barcelona - Madrid game instead. That's Barcelona as in Espanyol and Madrid as in Atletico. Touts were demanding €400-€1,000 for the other Barca-Madrid clash as opposed to €15 for the game I saw.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby scottish » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:53 pm

Thread revisited in desperation. Does anyone know of anywhere in Barcelona which will DEFINITELY be showing the Killie-Ayr game on Thursday night? I've hunted high and low through English and Irish bar websites with the results so far showing a load of dead links (and presumably even deader pubs), a few fake places with supposedly Scottish names like 'The Glasgow' or 'Piper's Tavern' that I know for a fact are more Catalonian than Caledonian, a lot of places where Thursday night is music night/quiz night and a few that are showing fitba but of the Spanish and Italian variety.

Some pub somewhere MUST be showing this game but I really don't fancy setting off on a pub crawl several hours before kick-off in an attempt to find out where.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby Skyline Drifter » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:57 pm

scottish wrote:Thread revisited in desperation. Does anyone know of anywhere in Barcelona which will DEFINITELY be showing the Killie-Ayr game on Thursday night? I've hunted high and low through English and Irish bar websites with the results so far showing a load of dead links (and presumably even deader pubs), a few fake places with supposedly Scottish names like 'The Glasgow' or 'Piper's Tavern' that I know for a fact are more Catalonian than Caledonian, a lot of places where Thursday night is music night/quiz night and a few that are showing fitba but of the Spanish and Italian variety.

Some pub somewhere MUST be showing this game but I really don't fancy setting off on a pub crawl several hours before kick-off in an attempt to find out where.

I'd be very surprised if 'The Tartan Arms' in Fenals, Lloret de Mar isn't showing it. Despite the name it's actually an English bar owned by a guy from Blackburn but it has multiple tv's and more than one Sky subscription so if matches clash it shows both, albeit the one you want might be the one with no volume.

Possibly not a lot of help to you but it's only half an hour or so away by car isn't it? I'm sure you'll find something closer but if you have access to a car it's an option. Phone to check first but like I say I'd be surprised if it wasn't showing it. Is there any obvious sport to be showing in opposition?
Skyline Drifter

Postby scottish » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:48 am

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't/can't drive. Yes there is a live Spanish Cup game tomorrow night that clashes - Athletic Bilbao v Sporting Gijon - with a slightly later kick-off. As you'll see from the earlier posts I've had trouble before finding a place when other games have been on and it means starting doing the rounds well before kick-off. If all else fails I'll try the place I watched Scotland-Norway in with the pub that showed Hearts-Hibs as a back-up.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby Skyline Drifter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 pm

scottish wrote:Thanks. Unfortunately I don't/can't drive. Yes there is a live Spanish Cup game tomorrow night that clashes - Athletic Bilbao v Sporting Gijon - with a slightly later kick-off. As you'll see from the earlier posts I've had trouble before finding a place when other games have been on and it means starting doing the rounds well before kick-off. If all else fails I'll try the place I watched Scotland-Norway in with the pub that showed Hearts-Hibs as a back-up.

The Tartan Arms, as a holidaymakers / ex-pats pub, wouldn't show a Spanish game over a UK Sky game without a very good reason I'd have thought (I haven't actually been there during the football season but talking to them that's the way it's run). I meant any obvious British sport?

Not that any of that helps if you can't get there. Surely there's an ex-pats bar somewhere in Barcelona? Ian McCall owns a share in one called the Celtic Cross but I don't think it actually was a tourist bar despite his involvement and something in the back of my mind says it's maybe closed now anyway.
Skyline Drifter

Postby scottish » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:14 pm

I've passed by the Celtic Cross but not been in it. Yes, there are loads of 'expat' bars and most would show British sport in preference to Spanish but as Thursday night isn't a usual football night it appears to be the quiz or music night in a lot of them. TBH unless there's a match on I tend to avoid anything that says 'Scottish,' 'English,' or 'Irish' above the door as they tend to be full of pissed-up tourists and/or pissed-up OF fans of the less than friendly variety.

I missed the Scottish Cup Final last season as I walked into a place which had advertised it on its website but at 2.55 pm all I could see on was the Bristol City v Hull City play-off. Turns out the SCF WAS on but in a different room and not switched on till a minute to kick-off! The guy who ran it told me later that he had been pleasantly surprised to find a couple of QoS fans there. I told him I was even more surprised he had any Rangers supporters there. Somehow I don't think the 'Michael Collins' is the first boozer of choice for Barcelona bears!

'Scobie's' showed Scotland-Norway and the 'Fastnet' Hearts-Hibs so I might head to one half an hour before kick-off, thus giving me time to get to the other if quiz night takes priority.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby Sat31March1928 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:43 pm

You must be due a 2-1 win :D

9/2/1924 R2 Ayr United 1-Kilmarnock 0

19/3/1938 R4 Kilmarnock 1-Ayr United 1
23/3/1938 R4r Ayr United 0-Kilmarnock 5

2/2/1957 R5 Kilmarnock 1-Ayr United 0

24/1/1981 R3 Kilmarnock 2-Ayr United 1

29/1/1994 R3 Kilmarnock 2-Ayr United 1

14/2/1998 R4 Ayr United 2-Kilmarnock 0

23/1/1999 R3 Ayr United 3-Kilmarnock 0
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson
Sat31March1928

Postby scottish » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:57 pm

I'll take any kind of win - scuffed own goal in the 120th minute will do fine just as long as it doesn't go to penalties!
scottish
Site Admin

Postby scottish » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:16 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote:Ian McCall owns a share in one called the Celtic Cross but I don't think it actually was a tourist bar despite his involvement and something in the back of my mind says it's maybe closed now anyway.

I think it'll only be green-and-white bedecked tourists if the MENU is anything to go by.

Like a lot of these places their website is knackered, showing nothing at all for sports. That's one of the problems of a big city, bars come and go all the time and unless you frequent the same on regularly there's no way of knowing until you turn up at the door to find it shut - as happened on an earlier post.

Surprisingly, I've found several 'Irish' bars advertising the Bilbao game for tomorrow. Must be solidarity with the Basques week or something.
scottish
Site Admin

Postby scottish » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:14 am

The aforementioned 'Michael Collins' WILL be showing the game. Directions HERE
scottish
Site Admin

Scottish pubs in Barcelona

Postby kiwiscot » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:37 am

Sorry I noticed this to late to be of any help but 2 inet sites tap into football all over the globe they are Justin. TV and Free Football Streaming . The Killie/Ayr game was on FFS, some of the channels you cant pick up because of your location and I dont watch everything because of the time difference ,work sometimes interferes with my football. Some of the commentators are foreign but most in English. I once watched an OF match with an Arabic Commentator but hell, 12000 miles away you'll take that. The South American stuff fits my time frame and I'm getting right into Argentinian Football. The lunchtime Setanda kickoffs are great its only around midnight here, hope thats of help to you and other forum members out there who can't attend in person.
kiwiscot

Return to TV, DVD, Video & Film