The Logan Brothers?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Post Reply
Insertnamehere
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:32 pm
Location: Barrhead
Contact:

The Logan Brothers?

Post by Insertnamehere » Sun May 23, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm doing and article for Arthurlie's programe about Alexander Logan and found he had two brothers all born in Barrhead, until im corrected, and they all played at a decent level.

Alexander played for Arthurlie, Aston Villa, Falkirk, Bristol City, Kilmarnock, and Partick Thistle.

Tom played for Falkirk, Aston Villa and Scotland.

Joe for Aston Villa and Rangers

Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers
Robert

Scottish
Site Admin
Posts: 7665
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 pm
Contact:

Post by Scottish » Sun May 23, 2010 6:57 pm

Yes, they were all brothers. Alex (Born Barrhead Feb 1880, died 1938) left Arthurlie for Aston Villa in July 1905 then signed for Falkirk In May 1906 before joining Bristol City in the close season of 1911. He signed for Killie in January 1912 and was at Rugby park for a year before leaving for Partick Thistle in January 1913. In 26 first class appearances he scored seven goals, playing at inside-right.

Although not an international like brother Tom he did play twice for the Scottish League while with Falkirk, v the Football League in 1906-07 and the Irish League in 1910-11.

Lamming give centre-half Tom Logan's dob as Aug 17th 1888 in Barrhead and career path as Arthurlie, Falkirk, Chelsea in May 1913 for a record fee of £2,500 and retiring in 1921, having won the Scottish Cup with Falkirk in 1913 and playing in the losing Chelsea team in the 'Khaki' FA Cup Final of 1915. His only full cap came v Ireland in 1912-13 while with Falkirk. I can't find any record of him at Aston Villa.

There's a problem with Joe so far as the name is concerned. Michael Joyce's records show this as James L Logan, born Barrhead, 1885 and playing for the exotically named Barread Veronese before joining QPR. I suspect this latter is wrong and that in fact he played for Queen's Park, not QPR. he was 12th in appearances when Villa won the league in 1910 so I imagine this qualified him for a medal. He could play at centre-half, left-half or left-back.

He joined Rangers in 1911 and won a league winners medal in 1912-13. He played against the Football League the same season.

bobby s
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:15 am
Location: Nittingrange
Contact:

Post by bobby s » Sun May 23, 2010 8:51 pm

I have Alex playing 2 games for Hibs in 1902/03 - the year they won the league:

20/09/1902 Away Scottish League (7) Third Lanark L 0-1
15/09/1902 Home Scottish League (6) Rangers W 1-0
It's the Hope I can't stand

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Mon May 24, 2010 9:00 am

Alexander Logan (61) b February 1880, Barrhead, Renfrewshire
d c1938
Debut – Wednesday August 15th 1906 v Leith Athletic (H) East of Scotland League
League Debut – Saturday August 18th 1906 v Rangers (A) Scottish League Division 1
Positions – Centre-Forward
Representative Honours – Scottish League v English League 1906/07, v Irish League 1910/11
Club Honours – Scottish League Division 1 RU 1909/10, Dunedin Cup RU 1910/11, Falkirk Infirmary Shield W 1908/09
Scottish League Division 1 Matches/Goals [70/35]
Scottish Cup Matches /Goals [3/1]
Minor League Matches/Goals [13/4]
Known Career – Barrhead Veronese, Hibernian [1902/03-1903/04], Airdrieonians [1902/03-1903/04], Arthurlie [1903/04], Falkirk [1906/07], Aston Villa [1906/07-1908/09], Falkirk [1909/10-1910/11], Bristol City [1910/11-1911/12], Kilmarnock [1911/12-1912/13], Partick Thistle [1912/13]
Played for Team 'B' v Team 'A', League International Trial at Glasgow, 25th February 1907
Brother of Thomas Logan [Falkirk 1910/11-1912/13, 1917/18]

Thomas Logan (93) b 17th August 1888, Barrhead, Renfrewshire
d c1960
Debut – Saturday August 20th 1910 v Celtic (H) Scottish League Division 1
Positions – Centre-Forward, Inside-Left
Representative Honours – Scotland v Ireland 1912/13
Club Honours – Scottish Cup W 1912/13, North-Eastern Cup W 1911/12, RU 1910/11, Dunedin Cup RU 1910/11
Falkirk Leading League Goalscorer 1910/11 [15]
Scottish League Division 1 Matches/Goals [100/30]
Scottish Cup Matches /Goals [13/7]
Minor League Matches/Goals [1/-]
Minor Cup Matches/Goals [16/7]
Scored on his League Debut
Known Career – Arthurlie [1908/09-1909/10], Falkirk [1910/11-1912/13], Chelsea [1913/14-1921/22], Partick Thistle [1915/16], Dunfermline Athletic [1915/16], Falkirk [1917/18], Arthurlie [1922/23]
Brother of Alexander Logan [Falkirk 1906/07, 1909/10-1910/11]

qpsnapper
Posts: 66
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:53 pm
Contact:

Post by qpsnapper » Mon May 24, 2010 10:12 am

scottish wrote:
There's a problem with Joe so far as the name is concerned. Michael Joyce's records show this as James L Logan, born Barrhead, 1885 and playing for the exotically named Barread Veronese before joining QPR. I suspect this latter is wrong and that in fact he played for Queen's Park, not QPR.
"The Men With The Educated Feet" has a J.L. Logan playing for Queen's Park in seasons 1903/04 and 1904/05, with a total of 44 league appearances (7 goals) and 16 cup appearances (1 goal), this would seem to tie in with your suspicions.

bobby s
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:15 am
Location: Nittingrange
Contact:

Post by bobby s » Mon May 24, 2010 10:23 am

qpsnapper wrote:
scottish wrote:
There's a problem with Joe so far as the name is concerned. Michael Joyce's records show this as James L Logan, born Barrhead, 1885 and playing for the exotically named Barread Veronese before joining QPR. I suspect this latter is wrong and that in fact he played for Queen's Park, not QPR.
"The Men With The Educated Feet" has a J.L. Logan playing for Queen's Park in seasons 1903/04 and 1904/05, with a total of 44 league appearances (7 goals) and 16 cup appearances (1 goal), this would seem to tie in with your suspicions.
That would tie in with the information on Litster pre war:

signed for Queens Park 24/9/1903
1906 to Aston Villa
signed for Rangers 25/8/1912 from Aston Villa Then signed for St Mirren 20/10/17
It's the Hope I can't stand

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Mon May 24, 2010 12:29 pm

I think "Veronese" might be a mistake I have seen it sometimes spelt "Fereneze", and there is certainly an avenue, golf club and curling club by the same name

http://www.ferenezegolfclub.co.uk/

I seem to remember there was a foundry by that name

from wikipedia

"There are several public houses in Barrhead. These include Cross Stobs, The Kelburn, The Arthurlie Inns, The Fereneze Inn, and The Brig Inn. The Cross Stobs dates back to at least 1695."

Steve Emms
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:24 pm
Contact:

Post by Steve Emms » Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm

I've got Alex's Barrhead club noted as 'Ferense'.

'Joe' is James Lochhead Logan, born Barrhead 8 August 1885, died Worcester in 1958. He also played for Barrhead Ferense before joining Queens Park.

Tom died at Lochranza on 21 June 1962

Insertnamehere
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:32 pm
Location: Barrhead
Contact:

Post by Insertnamehere » Wed May 26, 2010 9:31 pm

What can I say apart from thanks? THANKS to all!

Insertnamehere
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:32 pm
Location: Barrhead
Contact:

Post by Insertnamehere » Wed May 26, 2010 9:35 pm

John Meffen wrote:I think "Veronese" might be a mistake I have seen it sometimes spelt "Fereneze", and there is certainly an avenue, golf club and curling club by the same name

http://www.ferenezegolfclub.co.uk/

I seem to remember there was a foundry by that name

from wikipedia

"There are several public houses in Barrhead. These include Cross Stobs, The Kelburn, The Arthurlie Inns, The Fereneze Inn, and The Brig Inn. The Cross Stobs dates back to at least 1695."
John I must correct you there, the Stobbs CHARGES 1695 a PINT thats the price not the DOB! hahaha

LEATHERSTOCKING
Posts: 1655
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:11 pm
Contact:

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu May 27, 2010 8:41 am

I believe Crossstobs(that`s how they spelt it) to Milngavie was the longest single route of the old Glasgow Corporation Tramways. Isn`t that interesting?

FlowGently
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:41 pm
Contact:

Post by FlowGently » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:06 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:I believe Crossstobs(that`s how they spelt it) to Milngavie was the longest single route of the old Glasgow Corporation Tramways. Isn`t that interesting?

.... and another point of interest the name Fereneze is said to be a corruption "of the Old French word fermeson 'close season' in charters of the early Stewarts for their Abbey of Paisley, which allowed the monks to take hinds but not stags in the Stewarts' forest of Rais in fermeson (when hind hunting was permitted)."

Did Robert de Niro ever play for the 'Lie :D

teuchat
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:22 am
Contact:

Re: The Logan Brothers?

Post by teuchat » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:20 pm

There were 4 Logan brothers. Willie, Jimmy, Tom and Alec. Willie was not a footballer. The other 3 played professionally and other people know more than I do. Willie was a hotel keeper and stone mason - he built the wall over the road from the Crosstobs Inn when about 70. I met Jimmy in 1961; he was running the racecourse club at Worcester. Tom retired to farm at Brodick on Arran. Alec enlisted with the Argyll's and was lost in 1918.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests