Morton Juniors - Alex Ritchie

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
GordieJ

Morton Juniors - Alex Ritchie

Post by GordieJ » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:48 am

Does anyone have any information on Alex Ritchie who played for Morton Juniors in the 1930s?

I understand he won a Scotland Juniors cap during this period.

Many thanks

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:05 pm

The problem here is that there were a few players of this name active in Scottish football in the 1930s. If you have any other information - dates, senior clubs e.g. - it might be easier to track down some details.

GordieJ

Post by GordieJ » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks for that scottish.

I can give you a wee bit more information.

I have a photo of the Morton Juniors team that includes Alex Ritchie. The photo is from season 1935-36 and includes SJFA Jubilee Shield and Central League runners-up trophy.

Alex's cap is dated 1935 and was awarded for a game against Ireland.

I also understand Alex had two brothers who played senior football - George Ritchie with Dumbarton and Dick Ritchie with Aberdeen.

Anything you could add to this would be very welcome.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks for that but unfortunately I don't have a lot to add. Maybe others can help?

According to John Litster’s disk of pre-war players there were three Alex Ritchies registered with senior clubs in the 1930s. One was well-known and had been a pro since the 1920s so he can be ruled out. Litster also has an Alex Ritchie signing for Third Lanark in 1935 but he can be ruled out on two grounds. First, your man was still junior at that time. Second, this is the same player as the first Alex Ritchie.

That leaves an Alex Ritchie who signed for Albion Rovers on September 30th 1937 but whose contract was cancelled just 23 days later. He must be the man.

There is a bit more info about the brothers. George Ritchie played 38 league matches for Dumbarton between Aug 1933-Jan 1935 when his contract was cancelled. A versatile player, he turned out at in all three half-back positions, both inside-forward spots and on the left wing.

He played alongside his brother Dick who was a centre-half. He was more orthodox though did occasionally play at full-back and left-half. He made 48 league appearances and one in the Scottish Cup before signing for Aberdeen in December 1934. Chances at Pittodrie were few and far between and he played just ten league games plus one Scottish Cup tie in almost four years, usually at left-half, before signing for Morton in November 1938. Although he reamined registered with Morton during WW2 he doesn’t appear to have played after the conflict.

Steve Emms

Post by Steve Emms » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:06 am

My records show that the albion Rovers man is the same Alex Ritchie that played for Third Lanark, etc - I think they're all the one man. I'll be happy to be proved wrong, though.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:50 am

Steve Emms wrote:My records show that the albion Rovers man is the same Alex Ritchie that played for Third Lanark, etc.
That's perfectly possible. In which case we must assume the Morton Juniors player never turned senior.

GordieJ

Post by GordieJ » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:01 am

Thanks for that scotland, thanks Steve - much appreciated.

The information about the brothers is very helpful - the brothers were all part of the Gourock-based Ritchie Bros Ferrymasters that ran ferries around the Firth of Clyde.

I think my Alex Ritchie is a different player to the Third Lanark/Albion Rovers Alex Ritchie.

I'm pretty sure my Alex Ritchie only played Junior football. I was told he was to sign with Newcastle but a bad injury ended his playing career. I found an old Herald article that said that Newcastle came north to play a beneft game for him.

If anyone can give me some information on the Scotland v Ireland Junior international from 1935 it would be great.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:37 am

GordieJ wrote:
If anyone can give me some information on the Scotland v Ireland Junior international from 1935 it would be great.
These were usually played on a Saturday in March. I don't know the exact date but the 1935 game was played at Firhill with Scotland winning 1-0. Partick Thistle were away from home on March 9th, 16th & 30th so these are all possible dates.

Reports are best found in the Scottish sporting press of the time, the Saturday specials of the Evening Times, Evening Citizen & Evening News plus any others which may have been in existence. The Mitchell Library in Glasgow has the Evening Times. There may also be reports in the Sundays and Monday's edition of the dailies. For events leading up to the match like team selection etc, the Glasgow evening papers are best. The Greenock Telegraph may also have something seeing as a Morton Juniors player was selected.

Unfortunately none of these sources are readily available online.

GordieJ

Post by GordieJ » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:41 am

Thanks again scottish - your help and advice is very much appreciated.

FlowGently

JUBILEE SHIELD

Post by FlowGently » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:08 am

Glenafton conceded a late equaliser at Love Street in the 1st game (Sat 30th May 1930) and the game finished 2-2; I don't have the scorers. Glens took the lead in the replay at Love Street, 3rd June through Ballantyne. Ritchie equalised for Morton who then added three more through Luke, Orr and Rooney in front of a crowd of 12,000.

Has the Jubilee Shield ever been tracked down to its current location?