Scala for Hearts

The place to discuss Scottish football

Scala for Hearts

Postby heartofmidlithuanian » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:38 pm

Hi all. Thanks for letting me know about the new forum and good luck with it. I know you're not online yet but I thought I'd get the ball rolling so to speak by asking what people think about Hearts approach to Nevio Scala to be the new manager?

Surely this is the perfect riposte to the cynics who said our new owner is lacking in ambition?

Third force my arse. Give it a year or two and we'll be challenging the Old Firm.

Andy
heartofmidlithuanian

Welcome aboard Andy

Postby Scottish » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:12 pm

Well if they do get Scala it'd be a big coup for the Jambos, no doubt. But right now they've been linked with more men than Abi Titmuss :lol: We'll see.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Aberdonian » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:29 pm

Waiting for the big announcement. Last week they were after Bobby Robson. Working on the same principle that it's an experienced older man currently out of work they're looking for, don't be surprised if the "big name' new Hearts boss is...............(drum roll, fanfare)

ALEX SMITH :lol: :lol: :lol:
As many European trophies as the Old Firm combined
Aberdonian

Postby Killiehippo » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:23 pm

There's no doubt that Scala would be a great coup for the Jambos but you'd be better waiting to see who actually ends up in the hot seat. If the new board fulfils its promises then Hearts could well challenge the old firm in years to come however I still have a niggling doubt that the Lithuanian crew wont be there in the long term.
Killiehippo

Scala? More chance of the Odeon

Postby HappyHibby » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:00 pm

It's all a con. This suits both sides. Hearts can say they tried to get a big name by leaking the job "offer" to Scala and the Italian can now, by proxy, let other clubs know that if they want him they'd better move fast.

Wait for an announcement that he's gone to Lyon or some other club that's looking for a new boss in the next few days.

Never mind lads. Like the sheepie said Alex Smith's still available
HappyHibby

Postby bluehand » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:22 pm

Good luck to Hearts for trying anyway.............as for taking the old firm??......you never know.....it could catch on! :roll:
bluehand

Postby Aberdonian » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:50 pm

OK, say they DO get Scala. What kind of budget will he have? Suppose he can't entice players to Scotland? And that's not hard to imagine. Who will he sign from Scottish clubs? He doesn't know the scene at all and reportedly his English is none too good.

And look what happened to the last manager to come here with fractured English - wee Berti :!:

I think there will be a challenge to the Old Firm and it's blowing from the North. The two Jimmies are strengthening the squad while Hearts dither and Hibs lose players.

All we need now is for agents McLeish & Strachan to bring down the evil empires from within :lol:
As many European trophies as the Old Firm combined
Aberdonian

Postby Lisbon67 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:16 pm

I find very odd that The Scotsman went to Craig Paterson - an ex-Hibby - for an assessment of Burley and Scala based on him playing alongside Burley for one whole season at Motherwell.

Surprise, surprise, he thinks Burley would do a better job.

If I was a jambo (which praise God I'm not) that would be enough to convince me that Scala's the man
Lisbon67

Postby caracaskillie » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:08 am

I`m not a Jambo either but I can`t help feeling they did the dirty on John Robertson. With that in mind I hope they fall flat on their erse. I would be interested to know what Jambos think of Robertson`s sacking.
caracaskillie

Postby Lisbon67 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:01 pm

And Celtic are supposed to drag their feet when it comes to appointing managers? I can't imagine Hearts fans are too happy at the moment the longer this drags on.

Surely Scala knows by now whether or not he wants the job?
Lisbon67

Postby bobby s » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:28 am

Dallas didnae run as long as the new Hearts manager saga.

Can they no just appoint John McGinn and get over it?
It's the Hope I can't stand
bobby s

Postby RFC1873 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:21 am

Surprise, surprise. Looks like it's George Burley after all. I thought all along all this Scala stuff was just talk aimed at selling season tickets. Hearts are learning from the masters. Rangers have been doing this for years, throwing out the names of a couple of potential new players just when theseasons are due for renewal.

As for this 'Webster's not for sale' business, we'll see what happens when a bid's made. I wouldn't mind seeing him at Ibrox.
RFC1873

Old Pals Act?

Postby Scottish » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:13 am

I was just thinking in the light of George Burley's appointment that even in the notoriously mutual backscratching world of Scottish fitba that rarely have we seen such a collection of old pals in charge of our leading clubs.

The Old Firm have McLeish and Strachan who played together for years at at Aberdeen. The capital clubs are now managed by Tony Mowbray and George Burley who were servant and master (or apprentice and sorceror if you like) at Ipswich.

Burley was also a team-mate of Motherwell boss Terry Butcher at Portman Road. I'm sure others will have their own examples of where Messrs Calderwood, Chisholm, Leishman, Hughes, Brewster, Jefferies and Lambert have intertwining pasts but I think this is the first time both major Glasgow and Edinburgh clubs have been led simultaneously by such old mates.

Additionally, the new Hearts manager will have his club's performances dissected on TV by his nephew George.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Alan McCabe » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:35 pm

I must admit to remaining very sceptical about all that's going on at Tynecastle these days. Mr Romanov gave an interesting, and worrying, insight into the possible way ahead for Hearts when he was quoted as saying that it would be his dream to have the entire Lithuanian national side playing for the club. While I appreciate the game is living in an age of extreme short-termism, I would genuinely be concerned as both a supporter of Hearts and the Scottish game in general if this vision came to pass. With few Scots emerging from the OF, the potential loss of another major club to foreign importation is a worry indeed. While many fans seem to adopt the attitude "I couldn't care as long as we are successful", I would genuinely review my backing of my local club if such a sell-out were to occur.
Alan McCabe

Postby bobby s » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:22 pm

Alan McCabe wrote:I would genuinely review my backing of my local club if such a sell-out were to occur.

It's funny you say that, there was a recent article in wsc about a belgian club that acts as a feeder club for an academy in the Ivory Coast: IIRC they had 10 or 11 players at a time playing from IC.

Bottom line? If they were better no one complained.
It's the Hope I can't stand
bobby s

Next

Return to Scottish Football