Inter City Game - Edin v Glas - 5-4-1909

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
londonjambo

Inter City Game - Edin v Glas - 5-4-1909

Post by londonjambo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:28 pm

Hello to all

Stumbled across this wonderful site recently and cant believe I havent found it before.

Wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about the team shown on this postcard or the match in question.

The details at the foot record that the game was on 5th April 1909 and was an Inter City game between Edinburgh and Glasgow at Cathkin Park. Edinburgh appears to have won 2-0.

Now, whilst not an expert Hearts historian, I do recognise enough of their players from that era to know that none of Hearts' big names appears to be in the side.

Does anyone know anything about this game or is anyone able to identify any of the Edinburgh side

Thanks in advance for any help given

GC

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Inter City Game - Edin v Glas - 5-4-1909

Post by Scottish » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:24 pm

Unfortunately the Glasgow Herald for April 6th 1909 has no match report and there doesn't appear to be anything on London Hearts either so this is a bit of a mystery.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:30 am

Checked the Historical Scotsman.

No preview/listing for it on the day itself. No report/score the next day (listed results Port Glasgow v Third Lanark [1st div], Falkirk v Rangers [benefit], Raith v Clyde [friendly], Royal Irish Rifles v Cameron Highlanders [Army Cup SF], Dunfermline v Kirkcaldy Utd [Wemyss League]).

It'd seem unlikely for Glasgow to play on the same night as Rangers, Third Lanark + Clyde... and for Edinburgh playing to get no mention in the Scotsman. And, I'd always thought the Glasgow v Edinburgh fixtures died out shortly after the League started.

However it was a ripe weekend for 'internationals'. On Saturday 3rd was England v Scotland (Crystal Palace), Scotland Juniors v England Juniors (Celtic Park), a Boys Brigade Inter-City tie at Cathkin (Glasgow v Leith), and Perthshire 5-2 Forfarshire at Perth for the Barrie Cup.

Could it be say an Amateur, Junior, etc., selection?

That might explain why it didn't get a mention in the press.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 am

HibeeJibee wrote:

Could it be say an Amateur, Junior, etc., selection?

That might explain why it didn't get a mention in the press.
That's what I was thinking. The Herald gives all those results you mention and if a Raith-Clyde friendly got the score listed I'd expect the same for a select match at Cathkin.

Great photo though.

londonjambo

Post by londonjambo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:59 am

Many thanks for your replies

I did wonder whether it might be a minor representative game as I didnt recognise any of the players as Hearts players.

I note that there was an Inter-City Boys Brigade match at Cathkin involving Glasgow on the 3rd and it seems logical that it might be a part of the same tournament perhaps. Would there be any records of Boys Brigade matches anywhere ??

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and as you say, its a nice picture in any event

GC