Daniel Shields, Celtic & Barrow?

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
BMCCOLL

Daniel Shields, Celtic & Barrow?

Post by BMCCOLL » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:52 pm

Can anyone help me with identifying this player - Daniel Shields, born O'Shiels

Born in 1876 Dumbarton, he began playing under an assumed name (his family had their land in Ireland confiscated) and he was the first born out of Ireland (Donegal). He apparently played for Duntocher Hibernian and Celtic and was a Shipwright in Glasgow. He hurt his knee and was transferred to Barrow in Furness where he met his future wife. They were well known in that area.

His assumed name could have been Docherty, O'Shiels, Ferri, McLachlan or Campbell (all family names) but it was probably something unrelated with the family.

His death notice read:

'Mr. Daniel Shields was a well known footballer in his day. He started his career at the age of 15 with the Scottish Club, Duntocher Hibernian, but his father disapproved of football so much that he had to change his 'playing name'. Subsequently had a spell with Celtic followed by 'spells' with Newcastle and Barrow: He leaves a widow and five children'.

He died in the Wirral, Cheshire at the age of 92.

Any help at all would be most welcomed.

Thanks
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf

leicester

Re: Daniel Shields, Celtic & Barrow?

Post by leicester » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Not, I'm afraid, one of my areas of expertise – and possibly no help whatsoever – but you might widen (or narrow?) your search for a playing pseudonym for this guy by the only trivia I've come up with in a quick inquisitive sleuth round the web:

You can google for the exact url, but there's an Ancestry board that instances Shields and Dugan intermarriages (among cousins) in Dumbarton at about this time; while the 1901 Census offers among its Daniels of approx 1876 Scottish birth, one Daniel Dugan, 25, engine fitter, boarding in Barrow-in-Furness. Probably just coincidence, but it may spark recognition elsewhere...

Anyway, good luck...

PT

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Brilliant stuff. Even if it may be a coincidence its well worth investigating, thanks for the heads up!!!

Brian

Vasco

Post by Vasco » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:03 am

There was a Daniel Shields born on Main Street, Duntocher, on 14th June 1876.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:30 pm

That's a great find. I've passed all the above onto the lady who originally asked the question regarding her late grandfather, needless to say she is delighted with the information!

Cheers

mshields

Post by mshields » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:42 pm

Hi, yes just spotted this post, Daniel Shields was my great grandfarther, he still has 3 grandsons alive and only just lost my grandfarther Daniels son Michael James Shields born 19th April 1914 Died 21 April 2013.
Regards Michael J Shields.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:02 am

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Thank you very much for that information.