Rangers Newco - How the SFL lines up

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Rangers Newco - How the SFL lines up

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:24 pm

Hamilton have issued a further statement which is as clear as mud. Suggesting Rangers in SFL 1 in isolation is unacceptable but as part of a reconstruction package there could be a deal.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:15 am

Alex Thomson has published the text of the resolutions on which the SFL will vote next week.

It reads:
NOTICE OF SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING – SCOTTISH FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Notice is hereby given that a Special General Meeting of The Scottish Football League will be held within the Bell/Baird Suite on the fifth floor of Hampden Park, Glasgow on Friday, 13th July, 2012 at 11.00 a.m. for the purpose of considering and, if thought fit, approving the following proposals:-

(i) That the Scottish Football League Members agree to admit Sevco Scotland Limited as an Associate Member and agrees to permit Rangers F.C. to play in the League during Season 2012/13.

(ii) That the Scottish Football League Members direct the Board of Management of The Scottish Football League (the “Board”) to provide that Rangers F.C. shall play in the Third Division of the Scottish Football League during Season 2012/13 unless the Board shall have to its satisfaction negotiated and reached agreement with The Scottish Premier League and The Scottish Football Association on a series of measures which the Board shall consider to be in the best interests of the game, how it is structured, how it is governed and how it is financed, whereupon the Board shall be authorised to provide that Rangers F.C. shall play in the First Division of the Scottish Football League during Season 2012/13.

(iii) That the Scottish Football League Members in terms of Rule 12 approve the resignation of either Dundee F.C. or Dunfermline Athletic F.C., whichever shall be admitted to join the Scottish Premier League for Season 2012/13, such resignation to take effect as at the date of admission of such club to the Scottish Premier League, notwithstanding that the requisite notice under Rule 12 shall not have been given.Details of the series of measures referred to at (ii) above shall be made available to the Members in advance of the meeting and an opportunity for full discussion of those measures will be given prior to the proposals being put to the meeting.

In accordance with the terms of SFL Rule 53, your club must send one representative to this meeting and I would be most grateful if you could advise me of the name of your representative by return.

A buffet lunch will be served at the conclusion of the meeting.

Kind regards,
David A. Longmuir
Chief Executive, SFL.
So, section ii seems to be saying that members will vote to put Rangers in the 3rd unless the SFL board says it has done a deal with the SFA and SPL which they think is good for football in which case the vote will be to put Rangers in the 1st.

That to me reads that if the SFL members decide to vote against point two because the board say they've done a deal, then Rangers won't be put in either the 3rd or 1st Divisions, the result of a vote on point i notwithstanding.

Is it possible to make sense of this, other than to agree with what Thomson is saying about it being an attempt to avoid having an either/or vote on 1st or 3rd? I must say I'm not sure how these voting options stack up logically or legally.
Fraser

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:01 am

And Raith Rovers raise some pertinent points in response:

http://www.raithrovers.net/3998/sfl-spe ... y-2012.htm
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:38 pm

Scotland On Sunday add East Stirling, Elgin & Queen's Park to the No camp but don't have Montrose there.

The resolutions are a disgrace. David Longmuir is on record as saying the only way in for Rangers would be the 3rd division and that would be via an open ballot with other clubs entitled to apply. I suppose that at that point he never thought it would come to this so could afford to appear principled.

Now he is saying clubs can only vote on admission of Rangers to the league, no other applicants, that it will be the 3rd unless the league board obtain unspecified reforms from the SPL (and I think we can make an educated guess that the board will find in favour) in which case it will be the 1st. And then and only then will one club leave the SFL for the SPL. In other words there will be a vote on accepting Rangers BEFORE there is even a vacancy.

Let us never ever again criticise Third World countries for sporting corruption.

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:41 pm

Gordon Smith is an absolute munter. There would never be so much anti-Real Madrid feeling in Spain? There would be a national celebration if they went bust (with €400m debts, one lives in hope).
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/s ... -23906002/

Craig Burley's article (can't see a link, sorry, it's on www.hmfckickback.co.uk) is absolutely amazing, off the scale nonsense.

The only answer is for SFL clubs to vote NO to the first proposal. If they vote YES, it's as good as a vote for the First Division.
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Dumbarton are the third club to announce in favour of the Rangers newco being placed in the 1st division.

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:26 pm

scottish wrote:Dumbarton are the third club to announce in favour of the Rangers newco being placed in the 1st division.
Of course, this is unrelated to the fact that they'll be playing in said division when/if the season starts......

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:32 pm

MadMac wrote:
scottish wrote:Dumbarton are the third club to announce in favour of the Rangers newco being placed in the 1st division.
Of course, this is unrelated to the fact that they'll be playing in said division when/if the season starts......
To be fair to them, I'm not sure how relevant that is. They have far and away the lowest capacity of any club in the division and stand to gain less financially than any other club. Of the other nine clubs currently in the division, seven have come out against, including teams like Partick Thistle who would have a lot to gain financially. Of the other two, Hamilton are trying to win the Michael Johnston inaugural skelfs in arse contest and Dundee say they've been told to abstain.

More telling for me is the low numbers involved at Dumbarton. Seeking the views of just 93 people is scarcely representative of their fans.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:47 pm

More telling for me is the low numbers involved at Dumbarton. Seeking the views of just 93 people is scarcely representative of their fans.
Oh I don't know... :twisted:
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:49 pm

The Sun counted Berwick Rangers in the Yes camp yet the Berwick Rangers trust says the BRFC board meeting scheduled for last Saturday (the day AFTER the Sun counted them as a Yes) has been re-arranged for tomorrow night. The trust's voting figures are:

Direct entry into SFL 1 = 2%

Direct entry into SFL 3 = 23%

Consideration for admittance into SLF 3 if a vacancy exists, in competition with other eligible clubs who may also wish to seek admission, with the successful applicant being selected following a vote by member clubs = 70%

Reject Rangers newco admittance into the SFL =5%

These figures will be made known to the BRFC board prior to them making any decision so it looks like Berwick can be withdrawn from the Yes column for the time being at least.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:10 pm

scottish wrote:More telling for me is the low numbers involved at Dumbarton. Seeking the views of just 93 people is scarcely representative of their fans.
To be fair to them they sought the views of several hundred eligible season ticket holders and trust members. However only 93 turned up to the meeting and vote. The rest can I would guess be presumed ambivalent to the prospect.

qpsnapper

Post by qpsnapper » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:41 pm

scottish wrote:Scotland On Sunday add East Stirling, Elgin & Queen's Park to the No camp but don't have Montrose there.
Not sure how they've managed to put QP in there, as Leatherstocking said previously the committee are meeting tonight to decide.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote: To be fair to them they sought the views of several hundred eligible season ticket holders and trust members. However only 93 turned up to the meeting and vote. The rest can I would guess be presumed ambivalent to the prospect.
I'd disagree with that. There are many valid reasons for people not to turn up at a Saturday morning meeting called at less than 72 hours notice (working, on holiday, family commitments etc). Other clubs have made allowances for views to be expressed by email and letter. There was no reason why Dumbarton couldn't have done that either.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:51 pm

qpsnapper wrote:
scottish wrote:Scotland On Sunday add East Stirling, Elgin & Queen's Park to the No camp but don't have Montrose there.
Not sure how they've managed to put QP in there, as Leatherstocking said previously the committee are meeting tonight to decide.
Not sure how they put any of the additions in there as there are no quotes to back it up. Nothing on any of these clubs websites either and in the case of Elgin their site hasn't been updated since 18th June.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:52 am

Following last night`s Queen`s Park board meeting, it`s awaiting clarification on various points before confirming the club`s position. I don`t know what these points are.