Since Third Lanark/The number of senior grounds in Scotland

The place to discuss Scottish football
Saltirescot

Since Third Lanark/The number of senior grounds in Scotland

Post by Saltirescot » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:23 am

I was just wondering if anyone would agree with the following analysis of the number of senior SPL/SFL clubs that you could have visited in Scotland since the days of Third Lanark in the late 1960's

I estimate 53 or 54 grounds in Scotland you could have visited to watch senior league football made up as follows

Obviously the current 40 SPL and SFL clubs.
There are 3 clubs where there grounds that are no longer with us being Meadowbank (I know Edin City play here now) Clydebank and Gretna (New Gretna may well play there)
10 grounds are no longer in existence as the clubs have moved stadiums being Falkirk, St Mirren, Hamilton, Airdrie, Dumbarton, East Fife, Clyde (stadium still exists) ,Stirling Albion, St Johnstone, East Stirling

East Stirling might have played a few seasons at Grangemouth so it's arguable this counts but that would give you the 54.

Any thoughts. Thanks

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Since Third Lanark/The number of senior grounds in Scotl

Post by Scottish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi there and welcome to the forum. Of the 42 (not 40) current SPL/SFL clubs 41 possess their own stadium. East Stiringshire are sharing with Stenhousemuir. I can't find any league match being played at Grangemouth by them in the period you mention (though there was talk which came to nothing of them moving there in the 1950s/60s and again in 2004). Other than Firs Park & Ochilview the only other ground they've staged home matches at since the demise of Third Lanark in 1967 is Brockville.

In addition to the 41 existing grounds, the three former league grounds you mention and nine new grounds (NOT ten as East Stirling have moved to an already existing ground), league football has also been played at Lesser Hampden & Telford Street, Inverness. I make that 55 that have been used since 1967.

In addition although it has never been used for a league game, Ayr United used Dam Park for two League Cup ties in 1972-73.

Saltirescot

Post by Saltirescot » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:41 pm

scottish wrote:Hi there and welcome to the forum. Of the 42 (not 40) current SPL/SFL clubs 41 possess their own stadium. East Stiringshire are sharing with Stenhousemuir. I can't find any league match being played at Grangemouth by them in the period you mention (though there was talk which came to nothing of them moving there in the 1950s/60s and again in 2004). Other than Firs Park & Ochilview the only other ground they've staged home matches at since the demise of Third Lanark in 1967 is Brockville.

In addition to the 41 existing grounds, the three former league grounds you mention and nine new grounds (NOT ten as East Stirling have moved to an already existing ground), league football has also been played at Lesser Hampden & Telford Street, Inverness. I make that 55 that have been used since 1967.

In addition although it has never been used for a league game, Ayr United used Dam Park for two League Cup ties in 1972-73.
Sorry to be pedantic but wouldn't the answer be 56 grounds used for senior football being

41 current grounds
4 former grounds (Meadowbank,Gretna,Clydebank and OLD East Stirling)
9 brand new grounds
2 others (Lesser Hampden and Telford Street)

Not that it really matters and many thanks for the information though especially the Ayr United gem which is delightfully obscure.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Yes, you're right. I initially made it 56 from existing grounds plus those also used 1967-2012 but then cross-referenced it with 'The Ultimate Directory of English & Scottish Football League Grounds' (2nd edition 2005). I took 37 existing grounds at the time of Third Lanark's demise as the base then added the new grounds to 2005 which was a further 17 making 54 and added on St Mirren to make 55. I couldn't reconcile the two figures and couldn't think of another addition other than St Mirren. The error was to omit Annan Athletic so 56 it is.

Incidentally, that would make 117 league grounds in total 1890-2012 but that figure relies on some relatively minor land & rebuild adjustments being accepted as new grounds.