Y Viva Espanyol

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Y Viva Espanyol

Post by Scottish » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:37 pm

My thanks to Sandra & Sergi (pictured here at the end of the Espanyol v Atletico Madrid match) or Nuka & Yaki (to give them their nicknames) for their friendship and hospitality towards a foreign stranger (i.e. myself) at this recent game. Your company was much appreciated.

Congratulations to Espanyol on winning the Copa Del Rey - the Spanish equivalent of the Scottish Cup - and on qualifying for Europe again next season. Always nice to see a side in blue and white win a trophy.

There's still an outside chance you could be visiting Rugby Park in next season's UEFA Cup but a trip to the Riverside could be on the cards too. In the meantime best wishes to the 'blanc i blau' in their fight against relegation.

When I asked why they followed Espanyol rather than Barcelona, Yaki gave an answer recognisable to all non-OF Scottish fans, "supporting them (Barca) is the easy way."

And for those still labouring under the misapprehension that Barcelona are the 'Catalan' team and Espanyol the 'Spanish' side I would point out that a recent survey showed that Espanyol have a far higher percentage of supporters who are Catalan than Barcelona!

jackie

Post by jackie » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:52 pm

hello everybody !!

this is my first post in this forum :D I'm Sergi, and it was a pleasure for us to watch that game with David. Too bad we did not win :oops:
I would point out that a recent survey showed that Espanyol have a far higher percentage of supporters who are Catalan than Barcelona!
The truth is that Espanyol fan's are Catalan and supports Catalonia; we are as catalan as Barcelona's fans, though here some people say that's not true. I'm glad that David understood this and say that to you.

Excuse my English :oops:

PD. how can i quote putting the quoted-nickname ?

PD2. what's OF-fans ?? i guess you mean Celtic or Rangers supporters... but, OF?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:16 pm

Hi Sergi and welcome to the Forum. To quote, just do as you did with your previous post, keeping the quoted text inside the html tags. You are right about OF referring to Celtic & Rangers. It means the 'Old Firm' the term commonly used to describe them for over a century.

For the origins of the term see the question and answer here:
http://www.scottishleague.net/archive/archive107.htm

jackie

Post by jackie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:56 pm

scottish wrote:Hi Sergi and welcome to the Forum. To quote, just do as you did with your previous post, keeping the quoted text inside the html tags. You are right about OF referring to Celtic & Rangers. It means the 'Old Firm' the term commonly used to describe them for over a century.

For the origins of the term see the question and answer here:
http://www.scottishleague.net/archive/archive107.htm
ok, thanks, i've read part of the link and i get surprised reading the first question... i thought that scotland have been on a few Euro's... i remember Scotland was on France'98 and played against Brazil ! ... anyway, don't worry, spain is on every euro and world cup and they only have one more trophy than scotland :lol: :lol:

sorry if this is an offtopic, but how is said when a team goes to the below division, when a team loses a category... in spanish this is "descender" but i don't know in english... anyway, with the 3 points Espanyol won yesterday against our friend-team Betis, we can almost assure we don't "descender" :oops:

bye!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:19 pm

jackie wrote: i thought that scotland have been on a few Euro's... i remember Scotland was on France'98 and played against Brazil !
That was the World Cup. Scotland have played in eight World Cup Finals.

The term in English you are looking for is relegation or relegated. Also referred to as 'the drop' or 'going down.'

jackie

Post by jackie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:51 pm

scottish wrote:
jackie wrote: i thought that scotland have been on a few Euro's... i remember Scotland was on France'98 and played against Brazil !
That was the World Cup. Scotland have played in eight World Cup Finals.
yeah, i know... it's strange that Scotland have played much more World Cup than Euro's, isn't it ? It's more difficult to qualify to a World Cup... are you playing on Germany ?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:28 pm

Germany? Alas, no.
Also, Scotland didn't enter the first two European Championships in 1960 and 1964.

Harder to qualify? I would say it's about the same. A team has to finish in the top two of their group to qualify or reach the play-offs..

Though since 1990 (when Scotland reached a fifth successive World Cup) we have found it a bit easier in the Euros, having qualified twice and been knocked out in the play-offs twice wheres in the World Cup there has been one qualification and three eliminations without even reaching the play-offs.

jackie

Post by jackie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:08 pm

scottish wrote:Germany? Alas, no.
Alas?
scottish wrote: Harder to qualify? I would say it's about the same. A team has to finish in the top two of their group to qualify or reach the play-offs..
yes, i thought on a Euro you have more possibilities to qualify cause there are more european teams, no?

And, i'm sorry for 'Boro KO on Cup, that would have been nice to have Espanyol winner on Spanish Cup and 'Boro on England.... anyway, i hope L'pool wins, not only for the Spanish guys (Luis Garcia lived nearby from my home :D ), but cause i always liked this team and all its magic and special story.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:40 pm

Alas?

desgraciadamente

arrepentidamente

jackie

Post by jackie » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:06 pm

Congratulations !! Middlesborough is on the UEFA Cup Final :D :D I like Steaua but i'm glad your english team will play the final.

Ps. where can i write bout international soccer in this forum ?? i would talk bout scottish soccer but i don't know much about that :oops:

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:27 pm

It was a terrific match tonight. Unfortunately I couldn't get a ticket - the first time this season there's been a sell-out at the Riverside.

Although this is primarily a Scottish football forum I'm happy to receive contributions on any football topic so feel free to post on anything football-related. If there's enough demand I'll start up an international forum. I'm thinking of setting up a World Cup forum at the end of the domestic season.

jackie

Post by jackie » Sun May 14, 2006 2:48 pm

Hi everybody !!

have you heard about spanish league ?? Yesterday we save the relegating on the last minute. It was terrific. We couldn't believe it, we were on the second division. Supporters were crying but supporting the team 'til the end. And, at the end, Coro scored the goal.

I write this for those who are interested... :wink:

I heard about the final match on the scottish cup... Hearts vs Gretna, i heard Gretna is a regional club, not professional. That's very incredible. Well, congratulations to al Hearts supporter that, like Espanyol supporters, are the Cup Champions. And, why not, all Gretna supporters: they have to be proud of their team.

See you !!

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun May 14, 2006 3:06 pm

I thought a draw would have been good enough for Espanyol, no? In Spain teams with the same points are separated by the results of the games between them. Espanyol and Alaves played two draws. Wouldn't the 1-1 draw away have placed Espanyol above Alaves?

The Hearts - Gretna match was a good one. TVE bought transmission rights but I don't know if they showed it yesterday or today.

jackie

Post by jackie » Sun May 14, 2006 6:02 pm

scottish wrote:I thought a draw would have been good enough for Espanyol, no? In Spain teams with the same points are separated by the results of the games between them. Espanyol and Alaves played two draws. Wouldn't the 1-1 draw away have placed Espanyol above Alaves?
no, we drew the 2 games and so the gol-average between alaves and espanyol was drawn (despite we get a 1-1 on Alaves ground and 0-0 at home), then the general gol-average says who place who, and we had the worst general goal-average. In other words, we had to win if Alaves were winning and we did it when everybody was with tears in the eyes and looking nowhere :roll:

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun May 14, 2006 6:08 pm

Ah, I see. I thought the away goal counted double as in UEFA competitions. I hadn't realised it was so close. Congratulations to the 'blanc i blau'

Maybe we'll see you playing Gretna in next season's UEFA Cup!