Maximum Ibrox capacity

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Gorgiewave

Maximum Ibrox capacity

Post by Gorgiewave » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:55 pm

Does anybody know what the all-time maximum capacity was at Ibrox? I'm trying to find out if it was bigger than the 120,000 that seems to have been the Bernabéu's biggest.
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

the hibLOG

Re: Maximum Ibrox capacity

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:10 pm

When were 'official' capacities for grounds ever defined though? In a lot of cases the 'capacity' was established by the biggest recorded crowd, not by any empirical health and safety rule or practical measurement.
Fraser

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:39 am

Hampden Park was officially measured after the 1937 extensions and alterations giving a precise capacity of 183,388 with all terracing aisles filled. In conjunction with the City police & Glasgow Corporation, the SFA agreed to issue "only" 150,000 tickets for peacetime matches there until pressure from the authorities again reduced official capacity to 134,000 in the 1950s.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:50 am

Off-topic perhaps, but, I always had a laugh in the old days, before it went all-seated, at the thinking which gave the "twin towers" Wembley a capacity of 100,000 for football matches, but, only 98,000 for the annual Rugby League Challenge Cup Final - on the somewhat spurious grounds that the average Rugby League fan was "bigger".

Big lads oop north tha knows.
Snuff

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:13 pm

In an action heard in Glasgow Sheriff Court in March 1940 it was stated that in 1930 a certificate had been issued giving Ibrox a holding capacity of 136,940. The action was taken out by a spectator who suffered injuries that he claimed were due to over-crowding at the Old Firm game on 2 January 1939 where the attendance was 118,000. In the hearing it was said plans had been made, but not taken forward, to increase the capacity to 184,000.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:30 pm

I checked up on some research I did some time ago. The “certificate” is the architect/engineer's calculation of the holding capacity based on seats and terrace space rather than an assessment of a limit that should apply at a match with all the factors that need to be taken into account, e.g. safe access and egress. However, it is clear that figure was seen as the operating capacity of the ground at that time rather than a theoretical limit. I imagine gates would be shut on a visual inspection of the packing on the terraces. Newspapers reports on the Old Firm game on 2 January 1939 said that some spectators having got entrance to the ground could not get on to the terraces and resorted to reading their newspapers.

Some more research has revealed that the certificate was still in operation in the early 1960’s and was East terracing, 47,981; West terracing, 43,757; Centre terracing, 16,644; Stand, 10,389; Stand enclosure 18,170 – a total of 136,941. although by that time safety limits would apply at matches.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:23 am

Snuff wrote:Off-topic perhaps, but, I always had a laugh in the old days, before it went all-seated, at the thinking which gave the "twin towers" Wembley a capacity of 100,000 for football matches, but, only 98,000 for the annual Rugby League Challenge Cup Final - on the somewhat spurious grounds that the average Rugby League fan was "bigger".

Big lads oop north tha knows.
Similarly off-topic - or perhaps off-off-topic - but it always stuck in my mind reading about the testing of the new press box at Wembley that was suspended under the roof when the stadium was re-roofed and completely covered in preparation for the 1966 World Cup. Guardsmen were called into the new facility to stamp up and down to check it could take the weight!

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:20 am

Ah! The Wembley press box.

Having guardsmen mark time was a common test for new stands, something to do with sound waves causing a possible sway in such structures.

My favourite story about the Wembley press box concerns a BBC documentary, which followed Hughie McIlvanney's week. He was at Wembley for (I think) the England v Brazil Rous Cup tie in which Willie Young - as linesman - made his worst-ever mistake, incorrectly flagging what would have been a winning Brazil goal offside.

I digress - the shots in the documentary looking around the press box, pre-match, lingered on a well-known Daily Record fitba reporter, suited and booted, sitting at his place, smoking a big cigar and giving-off an air of smug, self-satisfied, superiority. This did not go down well back in Glasgow, where his Sports Editor was heard to say: "Look at that smug bar steward, and, he didn't even have his lap top open."

Said fitba writer, lang syne retired, never lived it down.
Snuff