Women's World Cup

The place to discuss Scottish football
Alan McCabe

Women's World Cup

Post by Alan McCabe » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:53 pm

Not normally an area I'd be drawn to, but, on a visit to the Falkirk Council Archives at Callendar House the other day, the archivist drew my attention to a Falkirk Mail article from 1939.
At a time when the FAs had banned competitive football for women, the local paper reported that Glasgow and Edinburgh met in the 'Final of the Womens Championship of Great Britain & The World'. The famed Dick Kerr's Ladies club had apparently competed in the event.
The location for this 'illustrious' contest was none other than Carmuirs Park in Camelon with the attendance described as 'meagre'.
I'll get more information the next time I'm in.

Alan Brown

Re: Women's World Cup

Post by Alan Brown » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:03 pm

I did catch a few matches in the recent Women's World Cup and have to admit that this is the first time I have sat down to watch a Woman's football match. I was very impressed with the standard of football on display. By reaching the semi finals the English woman have achieved what their male counterparts will probably never achieve again but then again England have a reputation of 'playing like a bunch of wummin' in major tournaments anyway ...

Getting back to Alan's point about the 1939 tournament though, I look forward to learning more about this.

Alan